Posted at 2:34 PM ET, 01/13/2011

MLS Commissioner Don Garber discusses D.C. United stadium, Baltimore, Twitter faux pas

By Steve Goff

After the first round of the MLS draft here in Baltimore, MLS Commissioner Don Garber answered a few questions.

On D.C. United's stadium situation and the Baltimore option: "The team is called D.C. United. They don't have a stadium solution; they need one. They've had very positive discussions here in Baltimore and, if these guys can deliver the right kind of facility, I am sure Will Chang and Kevin Payne will look hard at a potential stadium solution. They must have a solution because what they have right now is not working. We've been saying that for years and at some point, they are going to reach the breaking point. I am not saying that is happening tomorrow, but it will happen at some point. We've got to work hard to find an alternative to what is now, which is no alternative in D.C."

On tweeting incorrectly that Darlington Nagbe had been selected with the first overall pick: "When you tweet yourself, as opposed to having others do it for you, those things happen. I meant to have that tweet sent second and I didn't tweet the first [pick]. I got confused in the excitement. I am humble enough to know that I am not perfect and it's a story of cyberspace. You have to recognize that you have to be careful. I'm okay with it. I'm sure you guys [in the media] will have fun with it, but it shows that I am human, right?"

Garber apologized on Twitter and deleted the original posting.

The commissioner also said that the conference alignment and playoff format is close to being finalized. And to further intensify the Pacific Northwest rivalry between Seattle, Portland and Vancouver, Garber said MLS is strongly considering a week-long round robin between the clubs -- three regular season matches in a span of a week or so (Van vs. Sea, Sea vs. Port, Port vs. Van).

By Steve Goff  | January 13, 2011; 2:34 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United, MLS  | Tags:  D.C. United, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS draft results
Next: MLS draft wrap-up, Kenny Cooper to Portland Timbers, USA friendlies vs. Argentina, Paraguay

Comments

============

Such insight, such discernment, so profound, so helpful. I hope that Mr. Chang is grateful.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 13, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

"When you tweet yourself..."

you go blind.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 13, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

"... three regular season matches in a span of a week or so (Van vs. Sea, Sea vs. Port, Port vs. Van"

And it will rain every one of those days.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 13, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"When you tweet yourself..."

you go blind.

Posted by: I-270Exit1

-----
lol!!!

Posted by: WorldCup | January 13, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I love the round robin idea. Should go over very well in a region already primed for soccer and local derbies.

Maybe this will establish a precedent for a Red Bull-Union-Baltimore United round robin in a few years ...

Posted by: jofij | January 13, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I guess the three northwest teams will battle for The Coffee Cup.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 13, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I still think it's funny how married he is to this whole "rivalries" thing.

Posted by: fedssocr | January 13, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

A week of round-robin matches will be great and only further spur interest in a market ready for soccer and local derbies ... That should be amazing.

Plus, it creates a precedent for a NY-Philly-Baltimore round robin in a couple of years ...

Posted by: jofij | January 13, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jofij | January 13, 2011 3:35 PM | Report abuse

They should just have a weekend tournament over Memorial Day.

Posted by: Reignking | January 13, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I like and hate that idea all in one.

Love it - because you would see the passion spill out over a week. You would likely see all three on TV (ESPN gets 2 and FSC one). And your really boil the blood with the supporters.

Hate it - because that region gets spent in on week. If we're going to promote rivalries, let's spread them out and follow the idea that a performance in a game like that will help spur your team forward or bury it. And, TV would rather spread out some higher ratings, I'm sure.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 13, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

===========

I don't think I'd attend any of those games. I wouldn't be able to tolerate how badly the fans butcher the English language.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 13, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Coffee Pot Cup? Dude that's already a DCU/Charleston thing.

Round Robin thing a bad idea. You'll hear all the "club before country" bandwagoneers come up with a ton of excuses about the one ill attended game.

If anything It would make sense for east coast teams to make a sweep of the region. Would make for some very inviting travel plans for away support etc. Believe me, I'd without a doubt entertain aligning a visit to my old stomping grounds if I could see United play in any or all of those towns. Got bike gang friends in all of them!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 13, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

We get it, jofij; you're a prick. You don't have to post the same thing three times to prove that.

Posted by: kdiff813 | January 13, 2011 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I think it's a fine idea because you'd still have others left over (all the return trips) to spread out amongst the regular season, and more selfishly, that's I trip I'd go into debt to make. I'd LOVE to do that all in a week, and so I'm for it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 13, 2011 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I wonder when Kevin will get it?

Posted by: NICKYNUNYA | January 13, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

65 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 13, 2011 9:06 PM | Report abuse

What do you think the fan base will be if they go to Baltimore. DC Fans rejected VA, so I can't see them going to Baltimore. I also can't see the VA based fans going because of the traffic. We went to see Freedom and it was horrible getting to Boyds. Baltimore is just as bad to get to from VA. Any one know an easy route to Baltimore that doesn't take all day?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | January 13, 2011 9:09 PM | Report abuse

No offense VA fan, but how ya travelin'? By horse drawn unicycle?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 13, 2011 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Metro to Union Station and MARC to Camden Yards. To return: taxi to BWI and fly to National.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 13, 2011 9:50 PM | Report abuse

For those that didn't catch it, USMNT vs Argentina at New Meadowlands March 26th, and vs Paraguay in Nashville March 29th. Come on down to Music City, I promise you won't regret it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 13, 2011 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 13, 2011 10:18 PM | Report abuse

270, it may change in the future, but you know MARC doesn't run on the weekend right?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 13, 2011 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Route 50 to Route 3 north to Route 97 to I-695 to Route 295. There is some volume in my town (Crofton) but for the most part this will get you around the problem areas.

Posted by: croftonpost | January 14, 2011 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Ominous comments from Garber when you consider he made similar comments shortly before shutting down Tampa and Miami.

Considering NOTHING happens fast in DC, this is pretty much confirmation that United will be relocated - probably after this season. For United fans, Baltimore is the best of increasingly bad alternatives - would you rather have the team move farther away? VA doesn't want the team and DC is too inept and corrupt to do anything so Baltimore is the best option.

Posted by: grognard66 | January 14, 2011 7:40 AM | Report abuse

"Sorry, Yankiboy/Reignking/Mastadon. Your peeps would "Yo!" me right to the parking lot."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor

Yo, Man! It's not our fault that the rest of yousins talk talk funny or that y'all aint got our Charm...

Posted by: yankiboy | January 14, 2011 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Garber WOULD be excited by the SuperDraft. Last of his kind there...

The whole "Rivalry Week" makes perfect sense since it's a top item in Garber's list of loves. While I think it's decent way to market MLS, it's discrediting, and I don't think it will bring attention to the league over the span of the season.

It will only cause some minor to moderate attention for one week of the season, and no more attention other than that until the Supporters Shield and MLS Cup are raised.

Posted by: T_Walter | January 14, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

TERRIBLE IDEA!

It is obvious that the Timbers Army will be the MLS's advertising gem, and Garber is trying to cash it in, as they provide the only legitimate European/South American atmosphere.

Not to mention, the Northwest teams have played in the CASCADIA CUP for years. We do not need your manufactured hype.

Think about this, How will we have time to create the awesome tifo you have come to expect?

We take these matches very serious, and want to field a competitive, RESTED team. Why play 'rivalry week' with our B-Squad?

Posted by: NoPityInTheRoseCity | January 14, 2011 9:28 PM | Report abuse