Posted at 9:41 AM ET, 01/ 6/2011

Thursday kickaround: Kristine Lilly, Troy Perkins, Americans abroad, TV listings

By Steve Goff

*After five World Cups, three Olympics, 352 caps, 130 goals and 105 assists, American women's star Kristine Lilly, 39, is is ending her astonishing career.

*Goalkeeper Troy Perkins, who was traded by D.C. United to the expansion Portland Timbers last month, is fired up for a fresh start.

"I want to show people, all the doubters, all the people (in D.C.) that were happy to see me go, or that thought I was a one-hit thing, that's not the case. I have a huge chip on my shoulder and I'll prove them all wrong."

*Americans abroad:
Wednesday
GK Tim Howard 90 in Everton's 2-1 win over Spurs
GK Brad Friedel 90 in Aston Villa's 1-0 loss to Sunderland
D Eric Lichaj in 18, didn't play for Aston Villa
GK Marcus Hahnemann in 18, didn't play in Wolves' 1-0 win over Chelsea
MF Stuart Holden not in 18 for Bolton's 1-1 draw with Wigan
MF-D Jonathan Spector in 18, didn't play in West Ham's 5-0 loss at Newcastle

Thursday
F Jozy Altidore and Villarreal vs. Valencia in Copa del Rey's round of 16
(Second leg after 0-0 draw in first match)

For today's TV listings.....

*Soccer on TV:
Italy, Inter Milan-Napoli 2:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Spain Copa del Rey, Villarreal-Valencia noon ESPN Deportes
Spain Copa del Rey, Espanyol-Atletico Madrid 2 p.m. GolTV
Spain Copa del Rey, Levante-Real Madrid 4 p.m. GolTV
Several matches available live online at ESPN3.com and foxsoccer.tv

By Steve Goff  | January 6, 2011; 9:41 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, D.C. United, MLS, TV, Women  | Tags:  Americans abroad, Kristine Lilly, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS expansion Portland Timbers interested in former FC Dallas star Kenny Cooper
Next: Matt Kassel preparing to leave Maryland and sign homegrown contract with New York Red Bulls

Comments

From previous thread:

I'm in Boston today, soon to be enjoying clam chowder, Sam Adams lager and a 25-letter alphabet (no "r").

Can anyone suggest a good place for dinner? (Or is that "dinnah"?) I'm at Park Plaza. Any help is much appreciated!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 6, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Go Troy! (Except for when he plays us, of course.)

Posted by: glfrazier | January 6, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Perkins should shut it. Didnt have the cojones to say it in DC so he says it all the way from the West.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 6, 2011 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Kristine Lilly! It was great to watch you play and show all of us a truly beautiful game for so long.Thanks for being so fan friendly,too!

Posted by: 10bestfan | January 6, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

All credit to gender specific role modeling, those numbers are impressive in any league....

Posted by: JkR- | January 6, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

-Them be mighty fine words, Mr. Perkins. Now lets see you back em up on the field.

-Congratulations Kristine on an outstanding career. I'm sure there will be many farewell tributes for you throughout the year.

Posted by: SoccerVA | January 6, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Where was that fire from Troy last season?
@ Rand-al-Thor try the Union Oyster House.

Posted by: boda-united | January 6, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

If Troy needs to psych himself up to return to his top form then, hey--use whatever tool is in the toolkit.

But a lot of us didn't give up on the guy and don't think that he is washed up. Last season was a tough one--not just for him but for the club...

This change might be the best thing that could have happened for Troy. Portland Timbers have a nice tradition, great supporters and it sems like a very mellow place to live where he could potentially become the bigggest pro athlete whose not wearing a Portland Trailblazers jersey.

A lot of us have been pulling for him since he was working at Galyan's.

Posted by: yankiboy | January 6, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Injury or rest for Holden?

Posted by: benonthehill | January 6, 2011 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Someone pointed out that the WNT has played 460 matches in its entire history, which means that Kristine Lilly has played in more than 75% of them. That and seeing her in a photo of the 1991 World Cup team - 20 years ago - just takes my breath away. We shall not see her like again.

Posted by: kevinwparker | January 6, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Unless a lot of @#$% went on Off the field, not sure what Perkins is complaining about. He was flummoxed in goal, Hamid did better, our defense was more in a rythmn with a 19 year old. Sorry.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | January 6, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Troy is a bit perki isn't he? I will refrain from saying anything if he loses his position to MacMath

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | January 6, 2011 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Hope, for Troy's sake, that the Timbers dont play Chivas at home... it rains alot in Portland

Posted by: me_ahogo | January 6, 2011 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I had nothing against Troy, but he needs to be quiet. If he had played better, there wouldn't be any doubter or people glad to see him exit.

Where was the fire and chip on his shoulder last year? Shut the f- up.

@ Rand-al-Thor. Plenty of good food here in Boston. It depends on how much money you want to blow.

You are within walking distance of the Boston landmark Legal Seafood. Good, fresh seafood, but not exciting. If you go there, get stardard stuff like lobster, lobster roll, wood grilled fish, chowder. Don't get fake "ethnic" food like their dishes with various sauces, or Thai seasonings that are not authentic.

Another popular one is Davio's Italian and steakhouse at 75 Arlington.

Another popular steakhouse near Park Plaza is Fleming's. I believe at 217 Stuart Street.

One of my favorites is Aquitaine in South End. It's probably a 3-4 minute cab ride from Park Plaza on Tremont Street. French restaurant with great filet, steak frites, mussels, classic onion soup, beet salad, and excellent drinks, beer, and desserts.

Have fun.

Posted by: 1footiefanforever | January 6, 2011 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Let's not get carried away. Hamid whiffed on a back pass and cost 3 points. Among many mistakes of a young player. I enjoyed watching him play and learn, but let's not kid ourselves. Our best keeper is our 42-year old asst coach.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 6, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bartapest1 | January 6, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

About Lilly, an AP link and a bullet point in a blog entry shared with the likes of Troy Perkins and TV listings is a disgrace to one of the best players this country has ever produced. The US Soccer website has a proper send-off, if you're a fan, you should check it out.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 6, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

"watching D.C. United keeper Troy Perkins stay rooted to his line to allow Sebastien Le Toux to nod home Philadelphia's opener" - http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=770118&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=4716

Posted by: bartapest1 | January 6, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Injury or rest for Holden?

Posted by: benonthehill | January 6, 2011 10:23 AM

Injury.

I noticed there a couple of Serie A matches on Fox Deportes this morning -- before the Inter-Napoli tilt. I'm guessing they're live. Maybe it's time to add this channel to the listings. as it's not even a subscription channel like Gol?

Posted by: fischy | January 6, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I knew the liberals would have food recommendations for Rand-al-Thor in their holy city :-) How he must be suffering there.

Perkins usually speaks the way he felt. He was behind a leaky defense, midfielders who couldn't hold the ball, and forwards who couldn't score. He had some bad games, but there was a lot of blame to go around. I hope this move works out for him, professionally and personally.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 6, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

"Fans have been asking the reason for Perkins' place on the roster since the opening month of the season. In his first five league starts, the 29-year-old gave up an MLS-worst 13 goals before being benched in favor of 19-year-old Bill Hamid. After D.C.'s shocking 3-2 loss to expansion Philadelphia, Perkins' confidence looked to be at an all-time low. The frustrated keeper told reporters that the "whole game was my fault" and United's supporters seemed to agree." - http://www.csnwashington.com/09/18/10/DC-United-Troy-Perkins-Last-Stand/landing.html?blockID=313712&feedID=6359

Posted by: bartapest1 | January 6, 2011 10:45 AM | Report abuse

@Rand-al-Thor
Probably more for dessert than dinner (although they do have some food) - Finale

Posted by: emanon13 | January 6, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@WashingtonDipsSince88: C'mon, Playah. It's a new year. I was hoping that you would soften up a little bit. Why you going so hard at TP? If he had been talking "too much" when he was here then it would have just added to the debacle that was last season.

Then again--could last season have gone any worse (ok, please--nobody answer that very stupid question)?

Even if people were on the ship him out bandwagon, I don't remember him becoming a lockerroom headache. Not even when the bottom fell out.

Have a heart, Playah...Have a heart...

Posted by: yankiboy | January 6, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@Rand
Bonfire, right there in your hotel, is one of my favorite places. It's a Tod English restaurant and they do everything well. For a neighborhood experience, there's 75 Chestnut, the name is the address. Upscale comfort food tucked away on Beacon Hill. It's about a block and a half behind the Bull and Finch.

Posted by: FulhamDC | January 6, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Why's Troy settin' up a strawman in DC United and their fans?

I suppose it's good motivation for him, but to say the fans and franchise blame him for everything is way off base.

Posted by: delantero | January 6, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Let us not forget Lilly's (brief) local connection, as a player with the indoor Warthogs in the mid-nineties.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 6, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@ Rand-al-Thor. If the Aquitaine downtown is anything like the one further out at Chestnut Hill, go. Great food.

Posted by: seahawkdad | January 6, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Why's Troy settin' up a strawman in DC United and their fans?

Posted by: delantero | January 6, 2011 11:36 AM

**********************

Agreed.

I like Troy Perkins but there's no doubt he did badly early in the season and was a contributing factor to the team's awful start.

I don't think Hamid of 2010 was better than Troy but if the team is tanking so badly why not sit the starting keeper and develop our future prospect with some gametime experience?

I wish Perkins the best except when he plays against DC.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 6, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@Rand-al-Thor I find that boston market has excellent food

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | January 6, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

bartapest, tell us how you really feel.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | January 6, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Remember to discount all USWNT stats. The women's team plays closed-doors scrimmages and counts the caps and goals as if it were a real game.

Posted by: neil_g | January 6, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@yankiboy lol!!
Look Perkins needs to realize that its put up or shut up. And he didnt back his word in DC so why wait to get until Portland and come after the fans who in fact welcomed him with open arms including myself. But then give up a 13 goal performance in 5 games. Come on now.
Perkins shouldnt talk. His performance in the new season should do the talking.

Thats all Im saying.

Just cant wait for March.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 6, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

It would have been pretty sweet if Perkins was that fired up when he was here in DC.

Posted by: jake77 | January 6, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

There are some idiots (on BS) that said good riddance to Perkins (most of them were shot down quickly, though).

Posted by: Reignking | January 6, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I wish Perkins well. He was snakebitten by expectations that the years away in Denmark(?) would have seasoned him. Instead, he reappeared more tentative than when he left us. It's not his fault that DCU was defensively hopeless, but he had to take command of his box, and didn't.

There's no reason to begrudge an under-performing former player a new start, but if he thinks that the form he displayed for DC last season is going to win him any friends in Portland, he's in for more fan complaint. And not just a bit out of order for suggesting that DC's fan-base was the issue.

Posted by: gooner71 | January 6, 2011 1:02 PM | Report abuse

@WashingtonDips:

That's ok, Playah. I ain't mad at ya.
Looks to me like TP is better off in Portland--as much as I'd hate to say it.

You, me and KP and Bennie are left to try and turn this thing around. They could use to guys like us--

When the ship is sinking, you need all hands on deck to fill up the buckets and throw the water back overboard.

I'll handle the buckets.

You try and handle the rats at RFK (I wasn't referring to the KP or DK or anyone else in the Front Office or the occasional visits by local government officials).

Posted by: yankiboy | January 6, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Troy, we wish you all the best and look forward to seeing you back in the national team pool. Focus on that as your motivation rather than proving DCU wrong. It's a forward-looking perspective rather than a rear view mirror one.

Posted by: Pedalada | January 6, 2011 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Troy, I was at every home game you played for DC United and you really dissapointed us as fans. We stuck with you and you were never booed. I saw you get beat way to many times to justify the comments that you have made. Time to be quiet and let your play on the field do the talking. Good luck and adios!

Posted by: DCU99fan | January 6, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCU99fan | January 6, 2011 3:24 PM | Report abuse

DCU99fan - please do not speak for 'us as fans'. I respect your views, but they are yours.

Troy took a bunch of shite on SI, and in the comments of Goffs gamers. I think it's fair for him to respond to that criticism, whether warranted or not.

May not be advisable, but it's fair.

Posted by: JkR- | January 6, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

It's all good Troy, do you remember having one of those weird eye-locking moments with me at that Target out on Leesburg Pike a mere handful of awful games into the season? Maybe I'm a crappy DCU fan, but you looked so dejected/and or nervous I might recognize you that I didn't have the heart to holler...

Sorry it didn't work out dude, but you gotta admit you didn't give us much positive to work with my man. Enjoy Portland Troy, lot's of fun to be had there off the field. Beer, nude dancers, Burnside Project, hella bike lanes, and lots of luscious green trees, and fresh air to be savored. I for one wished you came back to form for DC as much as I did for Gomez and Luci... No need to hate on the fans though bro...Aloha.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 6, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Last stop on the Troy Perkins Express- Portland!

Posted by: alan19 | January 6, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@ boda-united, 1footiefanforever, seahawkdad, FulhamDC, and emanon13, thanks! (TenoriosLaptop, I enjoyed the quip).

I greatly appreciate the feedback. 36 hours isn't enough time to truly appreciate Boston, but I've enjoyed the visit.

I saw the Big Green Wall from the outside... now I have to get inside one of these days.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 6, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Rand! Boston Brewing have had lots of seasonal offerings this year, have you tried the Latitude 48 IPA yet...?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 6, 2011 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Guys, Perkins is referring to all the people he gave shoddy bank mortgages to. I think he is still cool with his soccer peeps.

Posted by: lord_dorpaldonger | January 6, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

If Hamid is as good as everyone hopes, then DC won't regret this trade.
If he isn't, then it will be a disaster.
DC gave up on Perkins way too quick and he deserved to be treated better.
I wouldn't be surprised if he is the best goalkeeper in the MLS this year.

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | January 6, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

@ Rand-al-Thor

If I remember correctly there's a Mc Donald's that serves a Double QuartAH PoundAH which can also be used as a natural stool softenAH if you are a travelAH who is prone to constipation!!!

Hope everything works out for you!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 6, 2011 7:43 PM | Report abuse