Posted at 11:48 AM ET, 01/25/2011

Tuesday kickaround: Los Angeles Galaxy, D.C. United, MLS, Robbie Keane, Georgios Samaras, Maryland Terrapins, Aston Villa, local Hall of Fame

By Steve Goff

*Curt Onalfo, dismissed as D.C. United's head coach last summer, has been hired by the Los Angeles Galaxy to serve as an assistant and oversee the reserve squad. Onalfo fills the slot vacated by Cobi Jones, who went to work for the New York Cosmos club, and reunites him with Galaxy Coach Bruce Arena. Onalfo played for Arena at the University of Virginia and served as a U.S. national team assistant from 2003 to '06.

Onalfo was fired by United with two seasons remaining on his contract ($300,000 annually). With his move to the Galaxy, it is unclear whether he will continue to receive a paycheck from the D.C. club. United officials said they would not comment on contractual issues. My hunch is that United will still have to pay him but perhaps not the full amount.

*Read my print/online story about the first day of United training camp.

*After weeks of negotiation, University of California goalkeeper David Bingham has reached a Generation Adidas contract agreement with MLS and will be available in a weighted lottery soon. Despite having the best odds of landing Bingham, United has opted out of the lottery in order to participate in any future procedures, General Manager Dave Kasper told the Insider. United already has a young keeper (Bill Hamid) and the trade value for a goalie without any pro experience is uncertain.

*Tip of the hat to GolTV's Phil Schoen for spotting this story about Ireland Coach Giovanni Trappatoni encouraging Robbie Keane, 30, to find a new club soon. D.C. United, are you listening? Another name that has surfaced in MLS circles: Celtic's Greek striker, Georgios Samaras, 25.

Much more.....

*As expected, University of Maryland junior midfielder Matt Kassel has finalized a deal with the New York Red Bulls as a homegrown signing.

*Speaking of Maryland, the Terrapins are a few weeks from finalizing their 2011 fall schedule. Stanford is a likely visitor to Ludwig Field early in the season and talks have intensified about a major non-conference away match at a prominent off-campus venue. I'll share the details if it comes to fruition.

*Americans abroad:
GK Brad Friedel and D Eric Lichaj for Aston Villa at Wigan (live on ESPN3.com at 2:45 p.m. ET and on tape on Fox Soccer Channel at 4:30)

*Inducted into the Virginia/D.C. Soccer Hall of Fame last weekend: former D.C. United coach and Washington Diplomats player Thomas Rongen; former Manchester United forward Dennis Violett, who coached the Dips in the mid-1970s; former Georgetown coach Keith Tabatznik; veteran women's coach Jill Ellis; Richmond native Rob Ukrop, a Davidson College star; D.C. area coach and referee Jeff Skigen; William & Mary all-American Julie Cunningham Shackford; and youth soccer coach and administrator Bill Willis.

By Steve Goff  | January 25, 2011; 11:48 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, College Soccer, D.C. United, Ireland, MLS, Scotland, Youth soccer  | Tags:  D.C. United, Los Angeles Galaxy, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United opens training camp
Next: Wednesday kickaround: Americans abroad, MLS lottery, D.C. United, Allsopp in Australia, Marta to Western New York

Comments

Robbie Keane would be a great addition to the team and the front office should pursue this option.

Samaras not so much. He was very dissapointing in the world cup

Posted by: hoyasaxadc | January 25, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Samaras would be a great signing, more so than the older and jaded Robbie Keane. He does nothing but frustrate defenders with physicality and finishing.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | January 25, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Samaras not so much. He was very dissapointing in the world cup

Posted by: hoyasaxadc | January 25, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I'll only take Robbie Keane if he promised to do his kart-wheel/flip thing after each goal scored (I don't care if he scores them, someone else, or even if the other team scores a goal). At least I'd get some entertainment value out of the aging Irishman.

Granted... I'd probably have to put up with all my Arsenal-loving friends telling me how much of a wanker he is... so it's probably not worth signing him at all.

Posted by: TCompton | January 25, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I had forgotten about Jill Ellis' local connections.

Also, the USWNT pulled out the Four Nations Cup championship in China with a 2-0 win over the host side.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 25, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Fischy: (from previous thread) re: trade value for Bingham. Honestly, it is probably close to nothing. young goalkeepers are simply not worth very much in MLS. Can you name, just for fun, the golkeepers drafted in the first round (equivalent to the first 18 picks this year) since 1997 who have won a playoff series? (hint, there are a whopping four of them, (Pickens, Hesmer, Adin Brown and Matt Jordan) average age of an MLS playoff series winning goalkeeper? 29. youngest to win a playoff series? Brown at 24. (youngest to win the cup, by the way? Tom Presthus at 24, followed by Nick Rimando at 25. how much would you give up for a player who is statistically four years away from making much of an impact? Even Stephan Frei, the success story, was below the mean in saves, GAA and wins.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | January 25, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

LOL, Robbie Keane. Birmingham wouldn't pay his wages that's why he's not there right now.

No chance DCU could afford him, if he was even willing to come to the MLS. If I had to wager I guess he's not.

Posted by: BKMD | January 25, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm not Keane on such an acquisition. Playing a third of the season a man down due to Keane's ejections would Rob us of some important results.

But having the Irishman would certainly increase beer sales at RFK.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 25, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Robbie Keane! Sign him. It would make the Red Bulls/Henry match up that much more entertaining.

While were at it, sign Damien Duff!

Posted by: delantero | January 25, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I am confused by the Keane hate. He has done nothing but score in the EPL. Per wiki: Juan Pablo Angel had 44 goals in 175 games with Villa. Robbie Keane, over two stretches, has 91 goals in 236 games. Also, he had 12 goals in 16 games for Celtic just a year ago. He has pace, good skill, can play wide and is a natural finisher. I hate Spurs, Liverpool and Leeds but I can recognize talent. Also, if he came over he would be 31 in the summer, a whole two years younger than JPA when he came over. If he lowers he wage demands, he would be a beast signing.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 25, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Nice article Steve, enjoyed the read.

I feel more and more excited about this season.

Posted by: DCB23 | January 25, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I might have my age for JPA wrong when he signed with Red Bulls but I am pretty sure he turned 33 during his first season.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 25, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how signing with MLS would help:

The Ireland manager says he will consider other options for March's Euro 2012 qualifier with Macedonia if his skipper stays at Spurs and is short of match practice.

Posted by: Reignking | January 25, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Rand - are you sure you aren't confusing Robbie Keane, Ireland forward with dervish moves, with Roy Keane, former Ireland defensive midfielder/candidate for mental hospitalization?

Posted by: gocaps2 | January 25, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gocaps2 | January 25, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gocaps2 | January 25, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

What a shocker that Bruce hired one of his boys. Look for Kelderman or Maessner next.

Posted by: lgm6986 | January 25, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gocaps2 | January 25, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

As long as Kevin Doyle stays healthy, I'm not sure it matters to Ireland what Keane is doing.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 25, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Good career move, Cobi...

Posted by: Reignking | January 25, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@gocaps: If I wasn't confused before, I am now!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 25, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@gocaps2 Are you sure you didn't confuse clicking the refresh button over and over again after the page fails to load, with closing the tab/window and reopening Goff's blog which then would be not cluttered with reposts?

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | January 25, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

seems like a step up from Comex, and a more recognizable brand than Beeembo.

Posted by: VTUnited | January 25, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Happy to see some recognition for Keith Tabatznik. He's doing a number of things now, but he would make a fine MLS Asst. coach. He coached two of my boys years before taking the Georgetown job.

Posted by: b18bolo | January 25, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: b18bolo | January 25, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I feel like I'm listening to an old, scratched vinyl LP.

Posted by: delantero | January 25, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The problem is the 1997-era software that the Post uses for its weblogs.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | January 25, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I love my vinyl records and don't let them become scratched.

About Keane -- Can DC go after him? Vancouver was n negotiations earlier, supposedly. Have they put in a discovery claim? I wonder if wag extraordinaire Claudine Keane would be keen on DC. If the FO could make this happen, they should definitely jump in feet first, I've argued before that the right DP can pay off financially. Keane could be the kind of player to put fannies in seats, so he might be worth more to DC than he would be to the 'Caps.

Perhaps I'm wrong about Bingham's trade value, but who are the other lottery prospects?

Goff -- can you give us an idea who DC might be waiting for?

Posted by: fischy | January 25, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

2 blackpool - man u 0

game on...

Posted by: rainORshine | January 25, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

The problem is the 1997-era software Posted by: christopher_a_metzle

I used to be so excited when my baud rate went from 2400 to 4800.

Posted by: delantero | January 25, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Berbatov and Chicharito...unbelievable.

Posted by: Reignking | January 25, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, Ives has been tweeting and did a live chat were he talked about the lack of value for an unproven keeper. If your question is, who is DC waiting for? I would imagine that in an U-20 World Cup Year you might see a player or two want to come to MLS after. I couldn't name names, maybe you could.

Another option I think we should consider is Beasley. He can't sit on the bench and get paid forever. If DC could get him and a quality striker, thats a half way decent team.

And vynl records are where it is at.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 25, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Beasley would not go through a weighted lottery. As a USMNT player, Beasley would go through the allocation draft, which is a different animal. DCU is at the top of that list, but it's not a lottery. So, DC has the next choice there, if they don't pass.

The weighted lottery -- It's supposedly for players getting their first pro contracts, but Zizzo and Szetela seem to be exceptions to that rule. I think the rule is really for uncapped Americans who have never been exposed to the draft. Jeremiah White can come back (he's on trial with Philly), but he's a free agent because he was once drafted.

Posted by: fischy | January 25, 2011 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Omg omg omg please sign Robbie K!

Posted by: ElmoL1 | January 25, 2011 5:15 PM | Report abuse

53 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 25, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey did I ever mention my wife ran a little record store in Seattle for a couple years? New and used stuff, refurbished turntables, tuners, etc. Lot's of fun memories from that little place, used to have ragers up in the spot. What we have to show for it all is a collection around 1000 records in our living room... most prominent piece of furniture in our house may be our LP shelving...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 25, 2011 5:19 PM | Report abuse

'Berbatov and Chicharito...unbelievable.'

2 blackpool - man u 3
- championship defining comeback?...

Posted by: rainORshine | January 25, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

@grubbsbl -- I'm guessing DCU has sights on Cody Arnoux. I was looking for confirmation. I don't know about U20s. Most of them have foreign clubs or are with an MLS academy. There are a couple of college players like Powers and Rowe, but if they were coming out, they would have gone for the draft. The one player that seems to be a real possibility of turning pro would be Kory Veeder, who was with CP-Baltimore.

Posted by: fischy | January 25, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, thanks for the clarification but I knew that. I guess I didn't make that clear in my post. I would expect that one prominent former USMNT player comes home at the end of the European season. One interesting player would be if Steve Cherubdolo came back. Like I said, if we signs striker in another manner, that'd be sick.

On another note, I actually agree with skipping the draft for Bingham. Like I said, I think a u-20 player might come to MLS post World Cup.

Dadryan, I find that story hilarious in the light of watching Portlandia last week. I can't really laugh though cause I live in Flag which is full of old hippies and hipsters, plus I have about a 50 lp collection myself.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 25, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't have a problem with us passing on this lottery. I think we want to go after players who either we covet greatly or guys that fill key needs. I'm not arguing we're so deep we could pass up depth. But frankly, he's probably our #3 keeper (I really like Hamid and Cronin as a combo). We have much bigger priorities as a team and I'd rather save lottery chances for that. Ideally, someone like KC would win him--which would help us for the next lottery.

Posted by: JoeW1 | January 25, 2011 6:34 PM | Report abuse

@JoeW -- No disrespect to Cronin (who once was the most promising keeper in his age group) or Bill Hamid (who is one of the most promising keepers in his age group, but Bingham could be a starter this year...if the team so desired. Cronin has never lived up to his early promise, and Hamid is too young and inexperienced to be starting in MLS. Bingham has a lot of game experience at Cal, and has great stats to go with it. Cronin probably isn't the long-term answer and Hamid isn't the short-term answer, so there's a slot for Bingham. That said, the team has bigger holes. I hope they can get Arnoux in a lottery and EJ or another US international in the allocation draft -- but these are distant and uncertain prospects. Anyway, it's a done deal, so I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for Arnoux.

Posted by: fischy | January 25, 2011 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Fischy, are you saying Bingham is a better option for the first six months of the season, starting in 53 days (says Curious), than a combination of Cronin and Hamid, both under contract?

Because Bingham 'could be a starter' and Cronin 'probably isn't the long-term answer and Hamid isn't the short-term answer'?

You have more faith in college footy than I. Irregardless (!), I think it's reasonable for the team to think they've sorted out the GK position and to look elsewhere with their selection assets...

Posted by: JkR- | January 25, 2011 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Samaras not so much. He was very dissapointing in the world cup

Posted by: hoyasaxadc | January 25, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | January 25, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

You guys need to play mumbly peg to decide this one.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 25, 2011 10:27 PM | Report abuse

That settles it! Mumbly Peg will be the game of choice(force) at my tailgates this season! 9Nine9'z I can't make the season opener but how about the one after, or after?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 25, 2011 11:14 PM | Report abuse

It seems to cost atleast $100 per match for me. Full tank of gas (to and fro Old York PA, not to be confused with New York), 2 tix, parking etc. Soooo I pick my matches carefully.

This year I'll go to 1 early, Stinkin Bimbos home and away, US open Cup matches, 1 late and PLAYOFFS.

I'll skip opener and we'll play Mumbly Peg the one after or after.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 26, 2011 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Good for Onalfo. He got a raw deal with DC United.

Posted by: alan19 | January 26, 2011 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Davies just tweeted an article stating he wants a loan to MLS. It looks like this would be the player that DC is trying to lock down. However Sochaux wants him to go somewhere else

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | January 26, 2011 8:34 AM | Report abuse

@9Nine9-- I'm traveling from down to RFK from over near Lancaster. We should coordinate our trips. Saves money on gas etc for more beer.

Posted by: AmishJim | January 26, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Sochaux does not want Davies anywhere near DC, the GW Parkway, or a moving vehicle.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 26, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse