Posted at 8:08 AM ET, 01/28/2011

Video: Dax McCarty's bicycle kick

By Steve Goff

At the recent U.S. national team training camp, D.C. United midfielder Dax McCarty showed he has more to offer than industrious work rate and distribution skills:

McCarty received solid marks for his performance in the 1-1 draw with Chile last Saturday at Home Depot Center, a friendly in which he served as team captain. Given a few days off, McCarty is expected to arrive in Washington on Friday and begin workouts this weekend ahead of the club's second stage of training camp in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

By Steve Goff  | January 28, 2011; 8:08 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United, U.S. men's national team  | Tags:  D.C. United, Dax McCarty
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United to introduce third uniform
Next: USSF monitoring situation in Egypt ahead of U.S. national team's friendly on Feb. 9 in Cairo

Comments

This just in: "answer" video from the Timbers with Rodney Wallace showing off his chops:

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | January 28, 2011 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Best part is that hardly anyone acknowledges how sweet a goal that was . . . Dax just dusts himself off and moves on.

Posted by: delantero | January 28, 2011 8:37 AM | Report abuse

LOL! Rodney Wallace...

I didn't see the Chile game, but keep hearing about Dax's great freekick and near-goal from 30 or 40 yds. AND he's a hard worker? If he puts some in the net, he'll become one of my favorites very quickly indeed.

Posted by: carmines757 | January 28, 2011 8:40 AM | Report abuse

carmines, if you care to watch it, the game is still archived on espn3.com

Posted by: spidergoose | January 28, 2011 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Wish I had $100 for every time I've seen Nicky just stare as one of those went past.

Posted by: dcufan | January 28, 2011 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I'll defer to Dadryan on whether that's a good bike or not.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 28, 2011 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Why was noone on the team impressed? Dax must do this all the time

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | January 28, 2011 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Olsen has that move...

Posted by: tphasbdp | January 28, 2011 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Hope could have saved that.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | January 28, 2011 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Dax is putting in a bid for greatest MLS ginger of all-time!

Posted by: jrnail23 | January 28, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I'd buy season tickets to see that. Wait, I already did.

Posted by: tcbannon | January 28, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

That was some crap defending on the cross (from Mix?). And now we'll expect Dax to do that in every game.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 28, 2011 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how long US Soccer has before they have to make a final decision on whether to proceed with the February 9 friendly in Cairo?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 28, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcufan | January 28, 2011 8:54 AM | Report abuse
-----

I wish I had $100 for every time I've seen Nicky make a leaping save to keep one of those from going past!

Then again, I just wish I had $100.

Posted by: WorldCup | January 28, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I wish we'd had Nicky in goal the past four years.

Posted by: benonthehill | January 28, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

LOL! Rodney Wallace...

Posted by: carmines757 | January 28, 2011 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"Nicky make a leaping save to keep one of those from going past!"

He has to leap, he's only 4' 2"

Posted by: delantero | January 28, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

So what are McCarty's weaknesses? Strength on the ball and (typically) finishing touch? Distribution in the final third? (He looks pretty slight, and I know scoring/final distribution are not what he's here for.) Genuinely curious to learn more about a dude I'm growing more happy about having in DC.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | January 28, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse