Posted at 3:01 PM ET, 01/15/2011

Video: Maurice Edu's superb goal for Rangers

By Steve Goff

Maurice Edu, the U.S. World Cup midfielder from the University of Maryland, scores a superb goal to cap Rangers' 4-0 victory over Hamilton:

Rangers Edu Goal v Hamilton January 15th 2011
Uploaded by chiper54. -

By Steve Goff  | January 15, 2011; 3:01 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, Scotland, U.S. men's national team  | Tags:  Maurice Edu, Rangers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: WPS college draft results
Next: American soccer players abroad

Comments

63 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Is Edu available??

Posted by: Curious99 | January 15, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Perry Kitchen will very quickly become a DCU fan favorite. This is a young talent with tremendous upside who based on the assessment(s) of Gen. ADIDAS, MLS leadership, U-20 mgt., & overseas scouts is an impact player on and off the pitch. Perry Kitchen is the leader of his USMNT U-20 side. Caleb Porter (Akron Head Coach) raves about PK's talents, leadership & soccer mind.
In addition Chris Korb has the ability (skill-set) to immediately play solid outside defender/man marking defense. A great role player who will drive DCU opponents (forwards) crazy with his tenacious defending, marking them all over the field. Plus he can distribute very well getting the ball to the DCU creative play makers... who those DCU players are right now I don't know but you get the idea.
I just purchased my DCU season tix just to see Perry Kitchen play.
It really is Caleb Porter's soccer world & we just live in it - Akron has 5 of the top 8 picks drafted plus the Hermann Trophy winner & 4 players in MLS already (big) contributing see. Zakuani, Bunbury, Zemanski, B. Gavin...
Shouldn't Caleb Porter be managing the U-20 program TODAY ?! vs. T. Rongen. he is a soccer genius w/a very desirable approach to the game i.e. Total Futbol-possession & he can relate to today's players very well maximizing their productivity. US Soccer needs to consider this unique coaching talent ASAP
Go Zips !! 2010 NCAA Champions

ZipSoccerNation
Alumni
Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Posted by: Zipfutbol | January 15, 2011 3:48 PM | Report abuse

It's beginning to look like Edu is the Jermaine Jones we've always been looking for. Playing him in defense makes NO SENSE.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | January 15, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Edu eludes traffic cones. Nice finish though.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2011 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Keeper looked like he was coming out afterward to KILL his back line. Wonder what the first three goals were like. Anyway, nice lateral touch past the last cone.

Posted by: dccal | January 15, 2011 6:13 PM | Report abuse

That's it, I'm off for a trial with Hamilton. And yes, I think I could mark better than that crew.

Ok, so I might have to tug on his jersey to stop Edu, but it's all fair if the ref doesn't see it.

Nice left footed shot though!

Posted by: delantero | January 15, 2011 6:22 PM | Report abuse

The mis-usage of Edu (for Clark) at the World Cup was Bob Bradley's downfall...

Posted by: alan19 | January 15, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

@OurGentlemenOfTheHighwayExit (I-270): Note that Edu landed on his kicking foot, providing the pace to slip it near post. A great piece of teaching video for U-9s.

@JkR, JofA-ish, and other Atlantans: How 'bout them STEELERS!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 15, 2011 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, being there in person, that one hurt tonight.

But, bright sides: 6 or so weeks from Charleston, and just a couple more after that til the Silverbacks return! And USA-Paraguay.

Yea, I've genuinely ended up in a position where I care much more about my soccer teams than any other.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 15, 2011 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the club Jacob.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 15, 2011 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Ahem. JkR-'s tribal people are from west / central Pa. Steeler fans for 3 generations. For Christmas, I received the $300 Mitchell & Ness Franco Harris throwback jersey, proudly worn today with Terrible Towel jauntily tucked into the collar.

I'm not sure what I've said to indicate any connection to Atlanta; good manners will preclude my opinion of that fair city.

Or did I mis-underestimate your meaning...?

Posted by: JkR- | January 16, 2011 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Glad I was in Pittsburgh this weekend :)

Posted by: Reignking | January 16, 2011 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see Edu back and playing well. He had a knee injury for the past month or so, didn't he?

Posted by: carmines757 | January 16, 2011 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, JkR... I may have confused you with Kev.

Reignking: did you wear your Vick jersey this weekend? Or were you off-grid as Chuck Finley?

White Collar back, on Tuesday. And I just got hooked on Psych. Had no idea how funny that show was.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 16, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. 270 will be happy to hear that White Collar is back. I fell waaaay behind on Burn Notice, so didn't watch this season. I can wait for it to hit Netflix. Not sure what this has to do with soccer.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 16, 2011 7:22 PM | Report abuse