Posted at 9:55 AM ET, 01/26/2011

Wednesday kickaround: Americans abroad, MLS lottery, D.C. United, Allsopp in Australia, Marta to Western New York

By Steve Goff

*Americans abroad:
Tuesday
GK Brad Friedel 90 in Aston Villa's 2-1 win at Wigan
D Eric Lichaj not in the 18 for Aston Villa
F Robbie Findley not in 18 for Forest's 1-0 win over Bristol City
F Timothy Chandler 2 in Nuremberg's 3-2 loss at Schalke

Wednesday
MF Clint Dempsey and Fulham at Liverpool (3 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel)

MF Jonathan Spector and West Ham at Birmingham in Carling Cup (2:30 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Plus, www.foxsoccer.tv)

MF Maurice Edu and Rangers at Hibernian

*American goalkeeper Brad Guzan, on loan from Aston Villa, will remain with second-tier Hull City for at least another month.

*The MLS weighted lottery to determine Cal goalkeeper David Bingham's club will take place at 3 p.m. ET. Bingham would've been available in the draft two weeks ago but didn't finalize contract negotiations until this week.

*D.C. United Coach Ben Olsen, on the start of preseason: "We can't panic and rush things. I believe in gradually getting into this, so a lot of touches, a lot of ball work. A lot of these guys haven't spent that much time with the ball in the offseason, so it's important to make sure they are getting as many touches as possible and starting to get their cardio up. As we progress into preseason, we'll start getting into more explosive stuff. There is a science behind what we are doing physically with these guys."

*Danny Allsopp, dropped by D.C. United after last season, scored in his third consecutive match for Melbourne Victory in a 3-0 win over North Queensland Fury today. He had five goals in 23 league appearances for United.

*Brazilian forward Marta, the five-time FIFA women's player of the year, has joined the WPS expansion side Western New York Flash, her third club in the league's three seasons. Her previous teams, the Los Angeles Sol and FC Gold Pride, folded.

By Steve Goff  | January 26, 2011; 9:55 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, Brazil, D.C. United, England, MLS, TV, Women  | Tags:  Americans abroad, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday kickaround: Los Angeles Galaxy, D.C. United, MLS, Robbie Keane, Georgios Samaras, Maryland Terrapins, Aston Villa, local Hall of Fame
Next: Americans abroad, Oguchi Onyewu injured, San Jose Earthquakes win MLS lottery, Virginia keeper signs, USA-Chile rewind

Comments

Danny Allsopp has scored in 2 of 3 games for DC United in my current season on FIFA11. So has Moreno. Quaranta has 2 assists. And Troy Perkins has a clean slate.

Posted by: Twitch703 | January 26, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Eidur Gudjohnsen, a striker currently with Stoke, but formerly of Chelsea and Barcalona, tells the English press that "I'm able to sign large contracts in America and Dubai,..." Thought this guy might be who United are looking at, right up until I got to the "large contract" part.

COYW!

Posted by: FulhamDC | January 26, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Odd about Marta. One of the keys to this MagicTalk guy's plans for the Freedom to play most of its games in Florida was going to be Marta on the team and using her to pack Lockhart Stadium (or whatever SoFla stadium they end up using) with tens of thousands of wild Brazilian futbol fans. Maybe he should just rename the team AllTalk FC...

Posted by: Ron16 | January 26, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Does the Coriolis effect explain why Allsopp didn't score much in DC?

Adios Western New York Flash.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 26, 2011 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Yep, I hear he's left footed down there

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | January 26, 2011 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Allsop's crosses bend the other direction down under.

Posted by: soccerman | January 26, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

yeah, down under Alsopp doesnt flush his scoring chances down the toilet.

Posted by: VTUnited | January 26, 2011 11:16 AM | Report abuse

That's ok, I had Franco Niell light up MLS in FM09, and a lot were off of headers.

Posted by: Reignking | January 26, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

If the Flash disappear this season, I'm handing Marta my tax bills.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 26, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

My girlfriend told me to looking at this website, walk the dog and make her a bagel.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 26, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

That should be 32 for Chandler. He entered in the 88th, and extra time was played.

Posted by: BooThisMan | January 26, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

...walk the dog and make her a bagel.
Posted by: grubbsbl | January 26, 2011 11:50 AM
==========

You feed the dog bagels?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 26, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Haha poor grammar, but Mrs Grubbsbl requires a toasted bagel daily.

I know a lot of peoole are down on WPS, but I am sad it is in such a dire state of affairs. It's odd, because Mrs Grubbsbl loves soccer but she won't watch the womens game. I just don't get it.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 26, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Ron16 loved your comment!! GO FREEDOM!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | January 26, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I know this may not be the right post to make this comment, but can MLS try and get some of the Yanks that are sitting on the pine in Europe to come back here and actually play in games?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | January 26, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Dougmacintyre, I think it is appropriate but I don't think it is all MLS's fault. I have a feeling a lot of those players have an inflated sense of self worth and think they above the league. Having said that, EJ, Beasley, Adu, Fielhaber could all make the league a lot better. I add Fielhaber because he is stuck in a lower division and doesn't really have any takers. As always, there are more players that should be on that list.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 26, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Off topic, but I guess DCU might be glad at least for the moment for the media's perception of MLS as not being on a par with the other four USA pro sports leagues.

Mike Wise spared DCU in his column today, "The state of sports in D.C. is not strong."

Posted by: lgm6986 | January 26, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

grubbsbl: it's not just inflated egos for the folks over in Europe ... it's inflated paychecks vs what MLS can pay. As short as many playing careers are, it's hard to fault folks following the money. It's gotta be hard riding the pine, but I'm sure the cash helps pad things a bit.

Posted by: nairbsod | January 26, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

The play of Allsop and Fred have made me feel that in order to be serviceable in MLS you almost have to be the MVP in the A-league.

Anything less and you're not going to be much use here.

Posted by: mcontento | January 26, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I imagine it's not just egos and paychecks. It's also probably history and opportunity. If someone offered you a higher paying job in the Netherlands, Belgium, England, or Germany, would you take it? What if your field of expertise had an exceptionally rich history there? A lot of these guys grew up dreaming of playing in Europe.

If I know if I found myself with the chance to travel abroad at age 22 or 23, I would have jumped at it.

Posted by: Egadman | January 26, 2011 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Allsopp was the leading scorer on the worst team in MLS. If he had landed somewhere else in MLS he might have scored 10, especially since he would have gotten better service, and he may have gotten to play against DC United twice, instead of for DC United.

Hopefully for what DCU paid him they can get someone better. But if we were down in the schoolyard picking teams right now I'd take him ahead of any forward on DC's roster, unless you list Pontius as a forward.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 26, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I agree you with both nairsbob and egadman. I would like to point out that statements such as "the exceptionally rich history" contributes to the development of over-evaluation of self worth. I am not going to fault anybody taking a paycheck, and MLS could certainly benefit if it loosened the the purse (the league probably would not have lost Buddle) but despite as much as the economic rationale choice theorists want to have us believe, their are other motivations than money, and the league could do more in that sense to bring players home.

OWNTF, your absolutely right. I actually thought Allsopp was a decent finisher and probably could have been successful in MLS. Since I live in the West coast time zone, I occasionally watch the A-League, and it is a ways behind MLS in quality.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 26, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Just got home... I-66 is bad and getting worse, west of Rte. 28 particularly. If you're driving, please be careful. I saw one two-door BMW in the median, facing the wrong way.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 26, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I'd echo comments above about ALlsopp. He wasn't waht DCU needed, but if he had a midfield that could push hte ball into the box, he would have had more than 5 goals.

On the other hand, here's clip from the SUA camp that shows McCarty might not need the easy set-ups. Impressive bicycle....If he ever scores one like that for United, it might go down as the best goal in team history...

Posted by: fischy | January 26, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, if Larentowicz marks him, he may just score one of those against Colorado.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 26, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Bingham to the Earthquakes. Maybe Jon Busch will be moving on again in a year or two....

Posted by: fischy | January 26, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I'd echo the sentiments about Allsopp being more than servicable if he had a better midfield...if he had played more. It always seemed to me as if he lacked the fitness to play full matches. That wouldn't change if he were on a different team.

Posted by: pitchpass | January 26, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Watching the A-League is like watching a Summer Friendly between two middling EPL sides in LA... nobody closes down players, allowing them to move freely with the ball and have plenty of time to pick out a pass or shot.

Re: Women not watching WPS (or other Women's Professional Sports) : It's a well documented fact, that women stop following and/or caring about Women's Professional Team Sports around 14-16 years of age.

You could ask 20 women whether they'd rather go to a Mystics game for free, or pay $10 to go to a Terps/Hoyas women's BBall game, and I can almost guarantee that the college game would get more takers.

Posted by: alecw81 | January 26, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Ruh-roh. Onyewu gets the start for Twente, but is subbed off in the 26th. Injured again?

Posted by: BooThisMan | January 26, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

From BS:
"He went up for a header in his own box and collided with a PSV player. He then went to the ground clutching at his lower back. He ended up playing ten more minutes or so but was ultimately subbed off. "

Posted by: Reignking | January 26, 2011 5:42 PM | Report abuse

The money that you save by refinancing every month can be sensibly used to repay your unique loan or to upsurge your savings. Do not forget to search online for "123 Mortgage Refinance" they found 3.17% rate for me.

Posted by: hintonlois | January 27, 2011 5:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hintonlois | January 27, 2011 5:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alecw81 | January 26, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse
______________________________________________________

Well, being a female, I can tell you I wouldn't take either of those options. I would rather go watch a MEN'S college basketball game over any other b-ball, college or professional. The only women's sports I watch are the US women's national team.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | January 27, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse