Posted at 4:35 PM ET, 01/20/2011

Weekend soccer TV listings: USA friendly, Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Mexico, Copa CentroAmericana

By Steve Goff

Additional matches are available live online at ESPN3.com and foxsoccer.tv

All times are Eastern.

What are you going to watch?

FRIDAY

Mexico, Queretaro-Morelia 6 p.m. Telefutura
Mexico, Monterrey-Atlante 6 p.m. Telemundo
Mexico, Cruz Azul-Pumas 6 p.m. Fox Deportes, Azteca America
Brazil, Sao Paulo-Ponta Petra 6 p.m. GolTV Premiere
Mexico, Santos Laguna-Pachuca 8 p.m. Galavision
Mexico, Chivas-San Luis 8 p.m. Telemundo
Friendly, USA-Chile 10 p.m. Telefutura, ESPN3.com (Details here)

SUNDAY
Australia, Central Coast-Sydney 1 a.m. FSC
Italy, Udinese-Inter Milan 6:30 a.m. FSP
England, QPR-Coventry 8:30 a.m. FSP
Italy, Sampdoria-Juventus 9 a.m. FSC
England, Fulham-Stoke 10:30 a.m. FSP
Spain, Sporting Gijon-Atletico Madrid 11 a.m. GolTV
England, Blackburn-West Brom 11 a.m. FSC
Spain, Deportivo La Coruna-Zaragoza 11 a.m. DirecTV (477)
Spain, Espanyol-Getafe 11 a.m. DirecTV (478)
Spain, Mallorca-Real Madrid 1 p.m. ESPN Deportes
Mexico, Toluca-Jaguares 1 p.m. Telemundo
Mexico, Puebla-Tecos 1 p.m. Azteca America
Italy, AC Milan-Cesena 2:30 p.m. FSC
Spain, Real Sociedad-Villarreal 3 p.m. ESPN Deportes
Copa CentroAmericana 3rd place 3:30 p.m. GolTV
Mexico, America-Tigres 5 p.m. Univision
England, Leicester-Millwall 5 p.m. FSP
Copa CentroAmericana final 6 p.m. GolTV

MONDAY
Spain, Hercules-Bilbao 3 p.m. DirecTV (477)

*ESPN Deportes listings subject to change

By Steve Goff  | January 20, 2011; 4:35 PM ET
Categories:  TV  | Tags:  La Liga, Premier League, Serie A, Soccer TV listings
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: With MLS training camps opening, D.C. United's roster takes shape
Next: U.S. national team opens 2011 schedule with friendly vs. Chile Saturday at Home Depot Center

Comments

Probably won't watch any soccer except the US-Chile Saturday night. Lacrosse convention and NFL playoffs get the rest of the weekend.

Posted by: soccerman | January 20, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

If Jones is playing (doubtful), I'd want to see Rovers -- but otherwise, what a dismal match for FSC to be showing. In fact, no match really excites me -- even Villa-City doesn't offer a lot of promise as badly as VIlla has played this year. On the other hand, that game might give up a bunch of good goals. Newcastle-Spurs might be the most promising match, but I'll probably do what soccerman is doing -- USA-Chile and some gridiron.

Posted by: fischy | January 20, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Is that our very own Jeff Maurer in those DC Auto Show commercials on TV and right here on WaPost.com!?!?
Funny stuff buddy!
Vamos United!
I also fit into the watching the Nats and watching some throwball category. Leaning toward heading over to the Arlington Cinema & Draft House for the soccer game.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 20, 2011 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I would expect Jones to go straight into the squad. The only hang up could be his fitness, but I don't know what his level is. As a United fan, I have to watch the Birmingham game -it shouldn't be too much trouble since it is at Old Trafford but you never know with United.

I am interested in the Villa game. I think Villa could pull off the upset. I think Bent is overrated, and overpriced, but he scores goals.

Besides that, American football for me.

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 20, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so Soccer on TV rant/thoughts:

The other day, Mr. Goff mentioned that Versus was reportedly in negotiations to get some MLS games. At first, I mentioned I like this because it got me more games in HD, but today, another side of this story hit me. On Tony Kornheiser's show yesterday (I listen to the podcast), he was mentioning how the NBC/Comcast(/Kabletown) merger could end up leading to a huge new competitor to ESPN/ABC. With Comcast now owning all the local Comcast networks (which already have a few MLS teams on) and Versus, and now NBC coming back into the fold, that could potentially provide a new outlet of competition for ESPN, and the easiest way to start doing that is start chasing more NHLs, if you will. Leagues that ESPN may cover, but don't devote completely to, and grow your brand as a serious sports network. If Versus starts showing 1 or 2 or 3 MLS matches a week, that would be huge for the league, and maybe worth taking a little less than FSC may be paying for their 1. It's not like Versus is full of commitments. Their saturday right now, according to my guide, is taped boxing, a live Mountain West Conference basketball game, The T.Ocho Show, and Rodeo, the rodeo not even being designated as live.

Just a thought, likely not as coherent as it was in my head this morning, but, shouldn't MLS be trying to get as many games on national tv in as many homes as possible? Doesn't Versus/Kabletown seem like a great platform for this?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 20, 2011 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I think Rand-al-Thor he got his camouflage Snuggie from an infomercial on Versus. So broadcasting soccer could be a good revenue source for their advertisers.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 20, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Don't step on my Cyclism Sundays whatever you do...;)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 20, 2011 9:00 PM | Report abuse

That's right, Dad!!!

I'll be po-ed if they even cut a half of a nano-second from the Tour De France coverage including and not limited to: live coverage, repeats, bonus coverage, pre-race and post-race programing, bonus pre-race, present-race and post-race coverage and bonus coverage of pre, present and post race bonus coverage.

PS: And bonus live coverage of repeated post and or pre race bonus coverage!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 20, 2011 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of "Dad" -- Congratulations, Mr. Daddy Olsen.

Posted by: fischy | January 21, 2011 12:52 AM | Report abuse

9Nine9, if I could only give you some pos. rep here I would. Thanks for the laugh this morning.

And yes, congrats to the Olsen fam on the latest signing. :)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 21, 2011 5:07 AM | Report abuse

Ya, congrats to Ben and Megan on the birth of Oscar.

I know people don't ever second guess coaches but I would have named him David or Nine.

If Oscar is anything like Ben, I pitty the fool who picks on Ruby, his older sister.

Note to DC Schools: Stock up on yellow cards!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 21, 2011 7:58 AM | Report abuse

With their first child named Ruby, I was sure the second would be named Max.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 21, 2011 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Ah, the Bunny Tales. If it was a girl Slippers would be a cute name. Easy call for us armchair proud-papas, eh?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 21, 2011 8:47 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan: yep, that's me. Be sure to look for me at the Auto Show, where I will be appearing with Snooki, the Big Show, and many other people who have been punched in the face on television.

Posted by: JeffMaurer | January 21, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Who/what's a Snooki?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 21, 2011 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 21, 2011 7:58 AM
________________________________________

If Ruby is anything like Ben, I pity the fool who picks on Oscar, her younger brother.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 21, 2011 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Tough week for former USMNT goalies. Kasey Keller gets booed by the crowd at a Portland TrailBlazers game, and Brad Friedel is forced into bankruptcy because his not-for-profit academy in Ohio has debts of $8 million and can't get any kids to pay over $30,000 tuition.

Posted by: fischy | January 21, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Did Friedel not incorporate?

Posted by: universityandpark | January 21, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

@universityandpark -- It does seem really odd that he's on the hook personally for these debts, but it's reported his Ohio home has been seized to pay off academy's tax debt.

Posted by: fischy | January 21, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I guess that means that Friedel won't be coming back to MLS next year. The IRS can't garnish his wages in Britain.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 21, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Look for Brad to be in a movie soon with Nicolas Cage.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | January 21, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Steve, why not just list the ESPN3 games? They're free to Comcast and Time Warner subscribers. Don't have any numbers, but ESPN3 should be available to far more people than Gol TV Premier or Fox Soccer Plus through those two providers alone. And the resolution is better than standard-def FSC.

Posted by: j_doe | January 21, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

j_doe, I think the thought process is that if Goff starts listing the ESPN3 listings people will start asking him to list more online fixtures. Steve's plenty busy, and in my mind if you've made it to this blog you're probably smart enough to have a pretty good idea of where to look online for legal and not so legal match feeds.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 21, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I think the slippery slope can be avoided by listing only legal outlets and setting a baseline for availability.

Posted by: j_doe | January 21, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

COMCAST might need to garnish my wages. In York (prolly elsewhere) we will need a box or a "card" for each TV starting next week.

Ummm, I have 9 TVs.

Anybody know if a "card" allowes me to get FSC and GOLTV in the garage?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | January 21, 2011 5:07 PM | Report abuse