Posted at 4:00 PM ET, 01/14/2011

WPS college draft results

By Steve Goff

Women's Professional Soccer is still around? Yes. Barely. The league, a box office bust and financial failure that lost four clubs in its first two seasons, conducted its college draft with six teams Friday in Baltimore.

The first 10 selections:

1. Western New York: California F Alex Morgan
2. Philadelphia: Virginia MF Sinead Farrelly
3. TBA*: North Carolina MF Meghan Klingenberg
4. TBA: Stanford F Christen Press
5. Philadelphia: Notre Dame D Lauren Fowlkes
6. Boston: Portland MF Keelin Winters
7. Atlanta: UCLA MF Kylie Wright
8. Western New York: Portland D Ellie Reed
9. Philadelphia: Oregon F Jennifer Stoltenberg
10. TBA: George Mason MF-F Omolyn Davis

*The team formerly known as the Washington Freedom, which after 10 years of promoting women's soccer in a dignified fashion, was sold by the exasperated Hendricks family (which still maintains a 25 percent stake) and bought by an entrepreneur who plans to shamelessly name the club after his product and play some/most/all home matches near his home in Florida but has yet to publicly share his plans or formally introduce a general manager or head coach even though Briana Scurry and former Sky Blue assistant Mike Lyons oversaw the team's draft operations.

By Steve Goff  | January 14, 2011; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom, Women  | Tags:  WPS, Washington Freedom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend soccer TV listings: England FA Cup, La Liga, Serie A, Mexico, Copa CentroAmericana
Next: Video: Maurice Edu's superb goal for Rangers

Comments

Wow, that's a snarky asterisk!

Posted by: soccerman | January 14, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the soccer reporter is pretty exasperated too.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 14, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind the snark, but I sure do mind the glee and antagonism with which the Soccer Insider reports on the WPS these days.

Posted by: Tony-Tony-Tony | January 14, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant! Do this late on a Friday to make sure that no one notices. I can't believe Goff picked it up...

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Tony-Tony-Tony. This blogger has been openly rooting for WPS to fail for some time now. I'm removing his RSS feed from my list and unfollowing this bore. There's plenty of other soccer news without him.

Posted by: mskenny1 | January 14, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I've got an idea! Let's have a round-robin tournament for WPS, ala the MLS NW idea, so that they can save on travel costs. Maybe the players can go camping so that they save on rooming costs, too.

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

so, I only see 5 teams listed there. Are there 2 TBA's?

Snark is the language of the web. We get plenty of snark directed at MLS and DCU too. But we're not all crying about it. The fact is that WPS has always barely been holding on. And now it is down to its last fingernail. The comment by Goff merely shows that a once-respected franchise has been sold to an individual who seems to have even less idea how to run an organization than the previous owners.

OT...I saw the picture of MacMath in the paper. Is Philly sponsored by Bimbo now? And what is Bimbo anyway?

Posted by: fedssocr | January 14, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I think all TBAs are for Freedom Talk. The Sky Blue did not have any 1st round picks.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 14, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Bimbo makes bread that is sold in Central America, and some other commenter in the past week mentioned that they own some foodlike companies up here also. But wow, they're not actually using the word "Bimbo" on the jerseys here are they??

Posted by: fallschurch1 | January 14, 2011 4:32 PM | Report abuse

fed: yes, just announced. And they are a breadmaker from Mexico (who owns other brands). I just started hearing radio commercials for them in Atlanta, too, so they must be beginning a marketing blitz.

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

(From previous thread)

Abby has a heel injury (stiff clutch on that U-Haul - joke from prior thread) and will not be on the roster for the Four Nations Cup.

Anyone know what happened to Natasha Kai? Still injured or just off the WNT radar?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 14, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Jeez O Pete! They put Bimbo on the jersey!! Does no one in MLS think that's tone-deaf??? Why not put on the Arnold logo, or the Entenmann's???? Someone send mroe punctuation marks I'm running out!!!!!

Posted by: fallschurch1 | January 14, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I guess a name change is ok so long as the company is not "The Pink Taco".

Posted by: ChorzoMan | January 14, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Bimbo, WPS; make your own joke.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | January 14, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Bimbo. Because MLS just doesn't have quality WAGs.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 14, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Here in the last couple of months I've realized you can buy Bimbo products at the QTs around here. Maybe new, maybe not, but I've just started seeing them.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 14, 2011 5:06 PM | Report abuse

That's a cheap shot at Goff by WPS supporters. Women's professional sports has a problem...demographic data shows that most women just don't get that revved up about going to see teams (or when they do, they do with friends). I know that's a generalization and there are certainly exceptions. But all women's professional sports (softball, volleyball, soccer, basketball) are having to operate on threadbare/slash the budget models (and it's not b/c people like the Hendricks weren't willing to spend money or the teams were poorly run). Whether the team wins or loses, women don't provide the kind of support necessary to make women's professional sports successful in this country--at this point. Maybe that culture will change. That's not Goff's fault though. And frankly, just think about it for a second...no coach or GM so you you've got a former player and a rented coach making your draft picks, you don't have a team name yet (but it might be "Magic Jack") and it's unclear where you're playing (despite a lovely field in Columbia and a history and tradition with a soccer-rich major urban area). If that doesn't call for a bucket-load of snark, I don't know what does. And Goff is an equal-opportunity snark provider...anyone recall "zzzzzzzzzz" when stadium references come up?

Posted by: JoeW1 | January 14, 2011 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Only five teams are listed because Sky Blue FC had no draft picks in the top ten due to trading. Though I would hope Goff doesn't wish failure for WPS, any snark directed at the ridiculous new owner of the former Washington Freedom is well deserved.

Posted by: evwill | January 14, 2011 5:11 PM | Report abuse

It's not Goff's fault that the league is a failure, and, increasingly, a clown show.

If you un-follow Goff, where exactly do you expect to turn for womens soccer coverage? Seriously, let me know, because I'm a big fan, and I've never found anything close to level of attention or quality that you find here.

I just hope the Baltimore Sun will provide the same platform.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 14, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

As long as we're on glass half empty mode, in other womens soccer news, one of the promising US youth players this week opted to play for Mexico instead of US, at least in her stated view because the style of play is more attractive (to her). That would have been unheard of 4 years ago.

And I'm not sure that bringing April Heinrichs back into the fold is going to be that helpful in bending the skill curve ever upward.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 14, 2011 5:24 PM | Report abuse

You know who was smart? Ali Krieger.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 14, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Bimbo, WPS; make your own joke.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | January 14, 2011 4:38 PM
________________________________________

Huh? If Bimbo had associated itself with WPS rather than MLS, there might be a few jokes in there.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 14, 2011 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | January 14, 2011 5:17 PM
_______________________________________

Posted by: universityandpark | January 14, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr | January 14, 2011 4:25 PM
_________________________________________

What, exactly, did the previous owners do wrong, in your view? I thought they did about as well as they could under difficult circumstances. And as far as their ability to run an organization goes, you can turn on your TV and tune in to Animal Planet, TLC, etc., all of which seem to be competent operations.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 14, 2011 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I just can't believe people can't figure out the abbreviation for the Tampa Bay Aardvarks.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 14, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Goff: "...bought by an entrepreneur who plans to shamelessly name the club after his product ..."
_________________________________________

The custom of having team names that reflect their association with parent companies is as old as the hills. Would anyone use the term "shameless" in association with, say, Bayer Leverkeusen? In the early history of the game in this country, there were lots of industry-related clubs, such as Bethlehem Steel F.C., which was located in the Lichaj Valley.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 14, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

You know who was smart? Ali Krieger.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 14, 2011 5:26 PM
_________________________________________

Time for another gratuitous Boalsburg reference.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 14, 2011 5:55 PM | Report abuse

What, exactly, did the previous owners do wrong, in your view?

Posted by: universityandpark

"Invest"?

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | January 14, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------

Sorry, but there's a big difference between a team like Leverkusen or Bethlehem Steel that were formed by workers for those companies and the team evolving out of them versus horrific name re-branding a la Red Bulls.

Posted by: Josh86 | January 14, 2011 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Boalsburg reference gleefully noted.

And please, when necessary Steve, like this case, keep the snark coming...

Posted by: JkR- | January 14, 2011 6:29 PM | Report abuse

On the bright side, Atlanta signed Heather Mitts.

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2011 6:35 PM | Report abuse

64 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 14, 2011 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Really? Goff lambasting a moron who bought and (it appears) destroyed a team rather than just buying the front of their shirts is dissing WPS supporters?

Not me. I'm a WPS supporter. And frankly, I'm happy that Goff demonstrated the capacity to blast a home team when they deserve it. Well, an apparently former home team. Not a skill I've seen Goff evidence all that much over the last three years.

And whatever you think of Goff, accusing him of openly rooting for WPS to fail is just delusional. Being amused by incompetence is not the same as rooting for failure. I've been to every Freedom home game so far (and I've also been to my last one, unless some miracle intervenes and rescues them from being a running billboard for a notoriously garbage product), and I think that the Freedom players have been outstanding on and off the field. But I'm still capable of being amused by the league's rinky-dink nature.

I'm also a DCU season ticket holder, and I can somehow manage to worship St. Benny while still being alternately amused and disgusted by the team's operations.

Anyway, thanks, Goff, for showing that you're not beholden to access.

Posted by: Landru | January 14, 2011 9:12 PM | Report abuse

dcunited.com has a new design, any ideas what it means?

Posted by: SexyOffender | January 14, 2011 9:31 PM | Report abuse

What Landru said. The WPS has become a joke, I had season tickets to the Freedom in year one -- couldn't get my 18 year old daughter to go to a game in the second season on a bet (she went to plenty of DCU games however). That just reinforces the demographic issue. Right now, women's pro sports is a loser, maybe not some time in the future, but right now, unfortunately, yes.

Posted by: griffin1108 | January 14, 2011 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Goff calls it like he sees it. No BS. If you want PR fluff, go read the official league site. As others have mentioned, if the current magicjack situation is not snark-worthy, then nothing is.

Posted by: Pedalada | January 14, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Talk about killing the messenger. WPS at the moment is a chronicle of a death foretold so don't ask Goff to pretend it's otherwise.

Posted by: sofiaboy | January 14, 2011 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Everything written after the asterisk is fine; it's the paragraph before it that's irksome. Yes, WPS is still around. Yes, it's having a rough time. Isn't it a hypocrisy the way women's soccer is ridiculed by some soccer fans who feel put out when men's soccer endures similar treatment from fans/media of mainstream sports?

Posted by: adam131 | January 14, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Goff should consider two blogs, one for facts, the other for opinions. We all know which will be most popular, but the other will be more useful.

Posted by: footballfan9 | January 14, 2011 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, whiners, but Goff's post shows great admiration for and gratitude to the Hendrickses who put their own money on the line and stuck it out for professional women's soccer is this area for a long, long time. He's pissed that the clown who bought the team is moving them away. Aren't you?

My biggest reaction to this post -- it is just a damn shame that three players -- Klingenberg, Davis and Press -- have to subjected to this charade by having to be drafted by the new owner instead of having a chance to play on a real team.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | January 14, 2011 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: footballfan9 | January 14, 2011 11:16 PM | Report abuse

It's sweet how many are willing to step up to defend a poor attempt at malicious humor and to also trash the WPS.

It's also sweet that such a large number of people willing to opine on the state of women's sports with the functional equivalent of calling the sky blue.

Dan Borislow put his own money into our local WPS team. Without the investment the team would have folded.

No one is going to argue that the WPS is healthy or doing well. Pointing out, repeatedly, that the league is barely around has become gratuitous and is entirely unnecessary. What is the point of doing so? To further bolster those squawking idiots that insist that women's professional sports will never be successful?

The history of men's professional soccer in this country has been and continues to be one of stops and starts. The sport's history in this country is littered with wasted clubs and failed desperate efforts to grab hold of the public's attention and money.

Some people don't like women's soccer. Fine. Spend your time doing something else. My daughter loves going to games and she'll be sad to see our team go, even if they are called MagicTalk FC.

For those that do like women's soccer, the Freedom's failure is ultimately on us. Either we show up to games or the team is not a financially viable proposition. If you're not happy with the team moving to South Florida, then show up to the games at the SoccerPlex and demonstrate that this area will support women's professional soccer.

Ultimately, if you are not willing to put your money where your opinions are, then nobody need listen to your complaints.

Posted by: CPAddick | January 15, 2011 1:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tony-Tony-Tony
----------------------------------

Oh, give it a rest. There's nothing suggesting "glee" or "antagonism" coming from Steve Goff. The simple fact is that there is little good news coming out of WPS lately, and this Washington/Florida Freedom/magicJack business is absolutely pathetic.

And there's no implied commentary on these athletes or women's soccer, but that team and that league is crumbling.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | January 15, 2011 4:02 AM | Report abuse

Once MagicJack FC fails to launch, which will be any day now, there goes the league. This new owner is, sadly appropriately, all talk.

Posted by: Ron16 | January 15, 2011 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"Pointing out, repeatedly, that the league is barely around has become gratuitous and is entirely unnecessary. What is the point of doing so?"

It's called journalism, but you enjoy your little Happy Sunshine Funland where idiots' pre-existing opinions are Goff's fault.

"If you're not happy with the team moving to South Florida, then show up to the games at the SoccerPlex and demonstrate that this area will support women's professional soccer."

Are you serious? I showed my happiness with the team being here by going to every home game. I'm going to reward the idiot Dan Borislow? You're seriously pretending that Borislow is planning to rename the club and (at best) split its home presence between two sites a thousand miles apart because he cares about womens' soccer? Or about the fan base here? And the failure is on me/us?

Wow. Just wow. I sure hope you're willing to buy stuff you want from me when I'm that willing to kick you where it hurts.

Posted by: Landru | January 15, 2011 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: adam131 | January 14, 2011 10:07 PM
__________________________________________

Posted by: universityandpark | January 15, 2011 9:11 AM | Report abuse

On the bright side, Atlanta signed Heather Mitts.

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2011 6:35 PM
_________________________________________

The Freedom has had a tradition of organizing postgame parties at watering holes in Gaithersburg-Germantown area at which players and fans can mingle. Does the Beat do the same? I remember meeting Cat Whitehill at one of these affairs last year. Sadly (for those of us on this end), she was out of contract and signed with the Beat in the offseason. Perhaps some of you in Georgia will get a chance to meet Whitehill, Mitts, etc.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 15, 2011 9:23 AM | Report abuse

They do. Pizza/bar place called Zucca about a quarter mile away from the stadium.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 15, 2011 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh my lord, someone please put this dying dog out of it's misery!

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

On the bright side, Atlanta signed Heather Mitts.
Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2011 6:35 PM
==========

How is that the bright side for me?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

re: "someone please put this dying dog out of it's misery!"

are you talking about the WPS, this thread, or both?

Posted by: Ron16 | January 16, 2011 9:00 AM | Report abuse

are you talking about the WPS, this thread, or both?
_________________________________________

Anyone who is not interested in WPS, this thread, or both is perfectly free to skip over this thread.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 16, 2011 9:27 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF:

There is usually decent WPS coverage here:

I believe the Goffer's comments were accurate and appropriate (some might say "spot on"). The jury is still out on magic mouth and whether WPS will sink or swim this year. Sink is the favorite.

From what I hear Scurry is the GM and Lyons the coach. That no one knows these things or where they are playing at this stage is itself a sign of serious problems for a league claiming to be professional.

Posted by: postgolb | January 16, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Interview with Briana Scurry on draft day http://ourgamemagazine.wordpress.com/ begins about 4:45 mark

Posted by: footballfan9 | January 16, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, at the end of the day -- after more than ten years in the market, there's not one print or tv reporter in DC market that consistently reports on women's professional soccer -- or for that fact, the Women's National Team unless they're facing elimination from the current World Cup.

Don't have time to figure out which obscure online reporter might or might not find a way to snark at current events so "blehh" to you and your employer who can't figure out that there are 30,000 young female players in WAGS and ODLA with another 55,000 adult parents who shell out considerable bucks for their girls to play.

WaPO fell down on the job in reporting what's been happening -- shame on you Christine Brennan and other significant and accomplished female reporters (Sally Quinn...are you even trying anymore?)

And shame on the rest of WaPs field staff and your editors...managed to cover a struggling and continually losing Mystics team but couldn't figure out how to boost circulation by tapping the vertical market of women's soccer...thanks for covering Montgomery County private school cross country, because that's totally why we still keep your print newspaper afloat....]

Your newspaper totally missed the mark and should be completely embarassed. But then, you won't read this so....

Our family will remain forever grateful at meeting some of the best USA and world women's soccer players while I remain appalled at their treatment. Shame on you, Washington Post...shame on you....

And if nothing else, the eccentric new owner of the Freedom is worth a good snark in the Style section....

Posted by: clg0519 | January 17, 2011 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@clg0519: I understand youtr frustration, but your assumption that female socccer PLAYERS at the youth level equates to interest in following womens pro socccer is wrong. In fact, that is WPS's (and WUSA's before it) fundamental problem. Girls and women play soccer in huge numbers in the US, but ddon't go to WPS games even when there is a local WPS team. I wish I knew why women I know who played soccer at a high level (former scholarship players at major universities) never attend WPS matches. Some have not even HEARD of WPS. Of course, a media outlet (WaPo in this ccase) is an easy target for your ire, but the real question is, why do so many women, who benefitted so much from the game of soccer (in the form of 4 year university scholarships) ignore the game oncce they are done playing?

Posted by: Ron16 | January 18, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Goff has always done a very good job at covering WPS and women's soccer. He has always bee responsive to any emails I have sent him The FREEDOM's new owner has made a point of NOT being communiciative. We should have had a jubliant anouncement celabrating the apointments of Scurry and Lyons as part of the FREEDOM(ok you can call them magic jack if you want to/have to). Who could be better loved than Scurry who was key in the USA winning olympic gold?! Braslow deservers a snark- his snubbing the press, season ticket holders and fans all hugry for news about their team, is poor fourm.

Posted by: soccerhead | January 18, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse