Posted at 3:41 PM ET, 02/ 7/2011

Charlie Davies and D.C. United: What's next?

By Steve Goff

Charlie Davies's productive debut for D.C. United on Monday morning came against Canada's under-20 squad -- not exactly Real Madrid, or Real Salt Lake, for that matter. But that's besides the point.

United needed to see him in a competitive setting, regardless of the opponent or outcome, and after watching Davies contribute a goal and an assist in 74 minutes, the club is probably one step closer to finalizing a season-long loan with French club Sochaux.

For much more.....

On United's Web site, Davies said: "It felt great to have my first competitive game with the guys. I'm starting to feel more and more like myself. I feel like I am taking positive steps forward to get back into form, and today was a good result for the team."

In the eighth minute, Davies was credited with an assist when his shot was blocked by the goalkeeper and deposited by Joseph Ngwenya. In the 41st, he finished off Branko Boskovic's through ball.

Coach Ben Olsen assessed the attack in general, saying: "It's nice to score goals. Our commitment in the box was very good, and the finishing was pretty sharp -- that was a positive."

So what happens next? Should United reschedule today's postponed scrimmage against Florida International University by Wednesday, Davies will perform again before flying to Washington on Thursday for evaluations by United's doctors. (The rest of the squad comes home Sunday.)

Because this is a one-week arrangement, Davies is scheduled to return to France on Friday. By then, United officials will have decided whether to finalize the deal with Sochaux. If all goes well -- and I suspect it will -- he would gather his belongings in France and rejoin United next week in Oxnard, Calif., for the second stage of training camp.

To formally acquire him, United would use its top slot in the MLS allocation order, which comes into play when U.S. national team players sign with the league. The first two clubs on the list, Vancouver (Jay DeMerit) and Portland (Kenny Cooper), already exhausted their options.

How would it work financially? Regardless of where he plays, Davies is entitled to the full amount of his contract with Sochaux. Upon Davies's arrival last week, United announced that loan details had already been negotiated, which means the amount each side would pay him is all but in place. Davies's salary with Sochaux has not been made public -- if I had to guess, I'd say $700,000 -- but United General Manager Dave Kasper told the Insider last week that Davies would not be classified as a designated player. The threshold for DP status is $335,000. The salary cap for 20 senior players is $2.7 million.

In other club news, rookie defender Ethan White (calf injury) is expected to return in a few days; Colombian forward Yessy Mena was released; and goalkeeper Bill Hamid (rehabbing from shoulder surgery) is on pace to receive full clearance in time for the Carolina Challenge Cup in Charleston, S.C., March 5-12.

By Steve Goff  | February 7, 2011; 3:41 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United, France  | Tags:  Charlie Davies, D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Charlie Davies with a goal and assist in D.C. United's first preseason match in Florida
Next: Wednesday's international friendlies: Argentina-Portugal, Spain-Colombia, Germany-Italy, Denmark-England

Comments

OK, sometimes some of us Insiders will make a "double-post", but Goffino has outdone us with a "Quadruple-post!" That might be some kind of record.

Posted by: soccerman | February 7, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the previous thread but DC United's website says the 2nd friendly today w FIU was cancelled (may be moved to midweek) and that Colombian trialist Yessy Mena was released.

Besides Jakovic, White and Hamid missing I didn't notice McTavish in the lineup - is he hurt?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 7, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I keep telling myself to stay realistic about Davies...and I keep getting more and more excited. How are you all keeping your expectations in check? Sedatives?

Posted by: pitchpass | February 7, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

It seems all but certain that DCU will keep Davies. I wonder, is there a purchase option associated with the loan? Allegegdly, MLS won't let squads execute loans unless there is a purchase option, but I can see how the league would look the other way in this case. I can't remember how it worked out with Donovan, but his permanent arrival in MLS was never a given initially. Perhaps DCU could find themselves in a similar situation next year if Davies performs well?

Posted by: mbyrd28 | February 7, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

sounds like Goff is hinting at something in that last paragraph...

Posted by: VTUnited | February 7, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

@pitchpass: I look at the YouTube clip of Cristian Castillo.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 7, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

The speculation I've seen on the purchase option is that it's there, but there's little chance it will be exercised. Sochaux probably has a minimum purchase price in their contract w/ Davies, and that number is probably higher than anything United or MLS will pay as a transfer. So Sochaux is risking very little by allowing it to be in the loan agreement.

Also, Davies' stated goal is to get back to France and top-flight European competition. His best-case scenario is one year back in the States. If he does well enough that we'd consider buying him at the stated price, I have to imagine he'd wouldn't come to terms with MLS/United, and the sale would be voided, leaving him to return to France. Again, this is speculation.

Posted by: TheAMT | February 7, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

@TheAMT - thats pretty much what I've been thinking. there doesnt seem to a be a likely scenario where he would return next season, (ir)regardless of whether this season is successful or not for him.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 7, 2011 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I probably missed this with the most recent round of rule changes, but last year the DP hit against the cap was $335,000 but the max non-DP salary was somewhere around $500,000. Did they eliminate that level this year, making guys like DeRosario or Joesph DPs?

Posted by: Josh86 | February 7, 2011 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Tis better to have loved and lost
than to never have loved at all

Posted by: DadRyan | February 7, 2011 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad the financials have worked out, considering what we've seen happen on other loans...

Posted by: Reignking | February 7, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

(Ir)regardless of everything, the prospect of watching a serious international player struggle to come back and regain his form with DCU this year after major, life-threatening injuries is either the biggest element of the club's season or the greatest subplot in MLS history, or both. Wow. This season is going to be cool.

Posted by: dccal | February 7, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

If Davies' health is reasonably good, I think United needs to make this happen. It's not like they're overflowing with talent at forward, and even if Charlie is at 75% to start the season, he's still going to be dangerous. And given that the playoff push in MLS never really seems to kick in until sometime in the summer, assuming United doesn't play themselves out of contention by June, having Davies rounding into form right about that time could be a huge boost.

Posted by: Kenobi | February 7, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

40 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Who needs sedatives???

Posted by: Curious99 | February 7, 2011 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little surprised he's costing DCU their allocation. The terms of the deal don't reflect that, at all.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 7, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

days to go

I wanna be sedated.

Nothin' to do nowhere to go-o.

I wanna be sedated.

Posted by: stancollins | February 7, 2011 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I like Davies. But I'm not sure I like DC United using their top allocation spot for a player likely only to stay for one year.

Posted by: redskinsux | February 7, 2011 7:04 PM | Report abuse

That's it. I've officially designated my change jar the "Charlie Jar"

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 7, 2011 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Well done stancollins.

For whom should DC save their allocation? Does anyone know of a USMNT player returning soon? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 7, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

If there is only one year of Charlie I guess that gives the team a full year to scout for another striker. That's probably better than any remaining options. Maybe they've found that awesome 24 year old Argentine striker who can hold the ball and finish, but he's out of contract this summer. Now, DC can snap him up on a freebie and slowly integrate him into the team. ;-)

Posted by: mbyrd28 | February 7, 2011 8:40 PM | Report abuse

The allocations spots would realign anyway after the season. Those who may return during the summer: EJ, Adu, Beasley, Friedal, Hamhaman (spl?), Cherubdolo,*, Boca.* (*unlikely)

We have one of the future prospects for the USMNT in goal already so we don't need the two GKs. I would also suggest in Kitchen and White we have 2 US national prospects, so no real need for Dolo or Boca.

Beasley and Adu probably aren't worth DP money so would be subject to the allocation list. Are either of them locks to produce? Not really.
Also, is it worth waiting half a season for them?

I think this is a safe move by DC.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 7, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

@grubbsbl - agree 100%. the only guys on that list I'd want would be Dolo or Boca, and both are unlikely this season.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 7, 2011 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 7, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CYork1 | February 7, 2011 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Also, this blog is awesome.

Posted by: CYork1 | February 7, 2011 9:56 PM | Report abuse

how many days till a stadium....not in baltimore???

Posted by: willworkforgoals | February 7, 2011 10:05 PM | Report abuse

redskins, not to pile on but who do you want to hang on for? Brad Friedel?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 7, 2011 10:06 PM | Report abuse

OT but worth posting as an FYI: ATDHE.net has been seized by the feds.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | February 7, 2011 10:28 PM | Report abuse

...and after a little research, I found its follow-on site: http://www.atdhe.me

Posted by: SportzNut21 | February 7, 2011 10:38 PM | Report abuse

OT but worth posting as an FYI: ATDHE.net has been seized by the feds.
-------------------------------------------

As has channelsurfing.net. Looks like the broadcast and cable companies are serious about cracking down on amateur re-broadcasters....Not a good sign for those of us who rely on those guys for our obscure soccer channels on the internet....

Posted by: Throwin64 | February 7, 2011 10:43 PM | Report abuse

If the cable guys offered the channels it wouldn't be a problem.

Posted by: CYork1 | February 7, 2011 10:58 PM | Report abuse

shhhh.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 7, 2011 11:03 PM | Report abuse

If the cable guys offered the channels it wouldn't be a problem.

Posted by: CYork1 | February 7, 2011 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Completely agree. I pay for direct tv and the complete rip off which is FSP. Why? Because i like having DVR and being able to sleep in while the game is being recorded. If I was offered the ability to watch all the games I wanted to on my own TV, I would pay for it. Untill then, I'll be using the streams. (this point is mute if any USMNT WCQ requires me to do pay per view. Then I'll stream it)

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 7, 2011 11:45 PM | Report abuse

"Mute" should be "moot." Hahaha

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 7, 2011 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I think they moved their site to atdhenet.tv. There's a message up at that address saying that any other site using atdhe alias is run by squatters. I would suppose that includes atdhe.me.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 7, 2011 11:47 PM | Report abuse

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 7, 2011 7:21 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shame on you. I know what you've done here.

On the atdhe thing -- that's last week's news. Sssshhhh.

The site was back the next day with new domains. Try replacing the ".net" with ".me" or ".fm."

Posted by: fischy | February 7, 2011 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, please have some foresight before posting the links to the streaming sites. This is how they got shut down because everybody, their brother and grandmother found out. If you have a minimum level of intelligence, you could find out easily where to look for the links.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | February 7, 2011 11:55 PM | Report abuse

I didn't notice McTavish in the lineup - is he hurt?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 7, 2011 4:09 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------

He's not the only one who didn't play. Neither did Brettschneider and Yang Men. For that matter, neither did Willis and Harrison. Even another roster player, Junior Carreiro, didn't play. They had to save some guys for the FIU game...at least until it was cancelled.

Posted by: fischy | February 7, 2011 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Amen to Charisma Man's sentiments. Shoosh your fingies mofo's.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 8, 2011 12:38 AM | Report abuse

They were only shut down because of the Super Game...

Posted by: Reignking | February 8, 2011 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Here is how it plays out. CD9 has a comeback season scoring 18 goals. Ticket sales go through the roof (metaphorically speaking of course with no damage to RFK in the process though how could you tell?). Ticket sales are used to bankroll the DP signing of Diego Forlan.

Sounds like a plan.

Posted by: tcbannon | February 8, 2011 8:52 AM | Report abuse

tcbannon wrote:

Sounds like a plan.>

The rest of the plan: lacking a new stadium, DCU announces a move to Baltimore.

Posted by: runningcloud | February 8, 2011 9:06 AM | Report abuse

But, but, but Diego Forlan "dreams" of playing for the Sounders, and Jose Mourinho also dreams of living in NYC (or Malibu), and managing the Red Bulls (or the Galaxy). Not for another 10 to 15 years though...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 8, 2011 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Why didn't Yang Men play v the Canadians? Is he gone?

I read on "All White Kit" blog that the Magic Jacks signed Hope Solo, Christie Rampone, Shannon Boxx and Lindsey Tarpley, FWIW. I guess it's theoretically possible we could see them play in the DC area this year.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 8, 2011 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Ticket sales are used to bankroll the DP signing of Diego Forlan.

Sounds like a plan.

Posted by: tcbannon | February 8, 2011 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I thought they were planning to bring back Franco Niell

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | February 8, 2011 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | February 8, 2011 9:36 AM
==========

We haven't seen a local team with so many national teamers since the turn of the century.

Will they re-name Freedom Hill, Magic Jack and Jill Hill?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 8, 2011 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tcbannon | February 8, 2011 8:52 AM
==========

Advertisers salivate. Billion$$ are pumped into soccer. ESPN immediately begins to show all MLS matches with pre- and post-game coverage. MLS teams pillage the summer transfer market for Messi, David Villa, Wayne Rooney, etc. Jim Rome declares that he has always loved soccer.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 8, 2011 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I have no problem using the allocation spot on Davies. First, even if we finished deadlast this year, we wouldn't have the top spot in 2012--that would go to Montreal. And if we don't finish dead last than the value of that spot is lost. Besides, we've passed on the past couple of lotteries (while other teams have cashed in) so we're in very good shape lottery-wise should a good emerging US U-talent become available.

Also, I don't mean to sound like "the future is now--mortgage everything for this year" crap but frankly, let's worry about 2012 in 2012. A lot can happen. A lot can happen in terms of this team. We've got some young guys (Kitchen, Pontius, McCarty, Najar, Hamid) who could emerge this year to be MAJOR players in MLS, guys worth building teams around. Or they could get hurt or have sophomore slumps or turn out to just be a kinda-nice guy to have on the roster but nothing consistent enough to be "special". We have another round of expansion to drain off depth. Let's worry about Davies and 2012 after this season. We may discover he'll never regain his potential and we enjoyed having him here but can upgrade (can anyone say...Roque Santa Cruz?). Or he may seize MLS by the short hairs and the leg concludes--just like they did with Landon Donovan--that for credibility sake, it has to bite the bullet and purchase his contract b/c he's become a media magnet and fan draw and credibility factor. Who knows? No-one...right now. Time will tell.

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 8, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Charlie Davies: US youth teams, 16 caps, 1 goal; MNT 17 caps, 4 goals.

Landon Donovan: US youth teams, 60 caps, 44 goals; MNT 128 caps, 45 goals.

Let's not get carried away here.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 8, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Why should we lose the allocation spot for a loan? I could understand it if it turns into a permanent move, but a loan deal for one season should have an asterisk by it, allowing us to keep the allocation.

But I don't make the rules.

Posted by: delantero | February 8, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Charlie Davies: US youth teams, 16 caps, 1 goal; MNT 17 caps, 4 goals.

Landon Donovan: US youth teams, 60 caps, 44 goals; MNT 128 caps, 45 goals.

Let's not get carried away here.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 8, 2011 10:24 AM
--------------

Yes. Perspective. More of this please.

These stats of course say nothing of the fact that since his last competitive match, he has had to have most of his body reconstructed and traumatic brain injuries healed. Davies is a talented player, but for those who remember his positive 6 month stretch in a nats shirt, remember also that he is a completely different person physically right now and hasn't played competitively since his accident. As far as I'm concerned, he has a lot to prove before he even becomes a bonafide option at striker for us, let alone a star. I'm rooting for him but its a steep uphill climb to ever get back to where he was two summers ago, and the odds are very much against that happening this year (for whatever the odds are worth).

Posted by: DCUPedro | February 8, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

But I don't make the rules.

Posted by: delantero | February 8, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

------------------

I agree. But then we did benefit from getting Charlie without competition from other teams. So there must be a middle ground. We lose the allocation for sure if we take him after the year, but we get sent halfway down the deck for getting him for a year.

Posted by: dsheon1 | February 8, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"Why should we lose the allocation spot for a loan?"

If DCU thinks it's a bad deal on any level, including this one, they can always pass and wait for the next option coming down the line.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 8, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

But I don't make the rules.

Posted by: delantero | February 8, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

------------------

Posted by: dsheon1 | February 8, 2011 10:57 AM

you lose the spot either way at the end of the season becasue the order resets, and if we don't take a flyer on Davies, one of the other teams likely would (as I270 pointed out, a bird in the hand...). beyond that, there are now 18 teams in this League, yet only a handful of Nats come home each year (if any). How would it be fair to the rest of the League for DCU to get Davies for a season AND also claim another Nat? that would defeat the purpose of having an allocation order.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 8, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

VTU is right about how it works. It makes no sense to allow DC to use the allocation on someone else and then lose next year's allocation slot if they keep Davies -- presumably Davies would boost United's record, so they won't be at the top of the allocation next year. If this didn't involve using an allocation now, then you'd have to offer up Davies at the end of the season to whichever teams sit at the top of next year's allocation.

Assuming the team keeps Davies, the only way they're going to improve later is to sign talented foreign players. Which brings me to my questions ---

1) How many international roster slots is DC allowed this year? They traded one away, no, leaving seven?

2) What's the status of James, Boscovic, and Najar? James is still listed on DCU's roster as a "Senior Int'l" -- I thought he was getting his green card? Boscovic and Najar aren't listed as int'l, because they occupy other slots -- DP and Homegrown. Does that mean they don't also occupy international roster slots?

3), FInally -- Right now, DC is carrying Jakovic, James, Carreiro, and Brasesco. If they sign Yang Men, will that still leave 2 international slots? The answer depends on answers to #1 and #2.

Posted by: fischy | February 8, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

20 hours without a Charlie Davies update. Can't
take
it
any
more.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 8, 2011 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of which -- it seems Houston is signing last year's DCU int'l trialist Jermaine Taylor from jamaica. Does Kinnear know.see something DCU's staff doesn't? Wouldn't be the first time, or even the second time, for that.....

Posted by: fischy | February 8, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

with respect to the allocation, my question would be: why is he still considered to be a returning Nat? He hasn't played for the national team in over a year. He had horrific injuries from which he is trying to come back. It could work out great and he recovers his old form. Or it could be that he just can't do it. It's not like he's a starting player for the national team RIGHT NOW for which it would seem like a reasonable requirement for using an allocation to get him. But based on the last year it makes little sense that he should cost an allocation.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 8, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Messi.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 8, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Messi? Klose, but your spelling is off.

Posted by: fischy | February 8, 2011 11:53 AM | Report abuse

If you haven't checked the SI twitter -- Tenorio reports that (Alexandria, VA) Episcopal's Zimbabwean import, "Schillo" Tshuma (also with Bethesda's Pachuca FC) signed intent letter for Maryland. Tenorio calls him the "best pure goalscorer" he's seen at the HS level. Sasho trying to keep up with Akron, and that ain't easy.

Posted by: fischy | February 8, 2011 12:15 PM | Report abuse

@fischy Najar's got a green card, so he definitely doesn't occupy an international spot.

@Anyone whining about people posting atdhe's new URL:
Seriously? You think the feds are too stupid to check atdhe's twitter page or use the Google, and if we all just refrain from posting the info on Soccer Insider they'll never figure it out?

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 8, 2011 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Interview replete with softball (beachball) questions for Branko Bustovic over at DCU website.

Posted by: Ron16 | February 8, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse

This, by the way:

Posted by: Charisma_Man | February 7, 2011 11:55 PM | Report abuse

was HI-larious. Thanks for it.

The site didn't get shut down because The Man finally put two-and-two together after all this time. Your grandmother isn't running ICE/the U.S. Attorney's Office, and those that do also possess a "minimum level of intelligence." (And may even comment here or use atdhe - who knows?)

Feel free to type the site address and pass it along to those in need when they ask.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | February 8, 2011 12:23 PM | Report abuse

as stated elsewhere, MLS rules have stated that no loans would be approved without some sort of option to buy. Of course the rules in MLS are made to be broken, especially for guys putting butts in seats. Sochaux is probably far less worried about MLS trying to pony up on a huge transfer fee than everyone seems to be about losing a measley allocation spot.
We need a spark and if Davies can provide it, trippin' on the allocation is a waste of time.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 8, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@fedssocr - a "returing Nat" is any player with a senior level cap, regardless of when that cap was. for reference, Danny Szetela (!!!) was a US player pool allocation. the only exception I can recall was Zizzo last year, though I don't remember the technicality the League used to move him over to the "special" lottery that we did not win.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 8, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Don't remember a Jermaine Taylor, who was he?

Before Charlie Davies was brought in I thought DC might try to sign England-raised American Jemal Johnson who, while he had a few good games at Leeds and MK Dons, never seemed to nail down a consistent starting job.

As far as I know, he is without a team. He trialed with DC last year at some time but it seems unlikely the team would go for him now.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 8, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

yeah, i cant spell returning. my bad.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 8, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

According to the Goff Twitter, the DCU match in Florida is on for tomorrow and open to the public. I anticipate 50+ people with Flip video to record every second of CD9's play. I know I'll be watching.

Posted by: tcbannon | February 8, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm hopeful for Davies but excited for Ngwenya and Dax.

Posted by: WorldCup | February 8, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, who is flying down and streaming the game tomorrow? Come on DC, why don't you stream it?!?!

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 8, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

In lieu of CD news, I'll make this up: CD given the key to the city of Philadelphia.

Posted by: Reignking | February 8, 2011 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Joel_m_Lane.. I believe Jemel Johnson signed with a team in Russia.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 8, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey--the reaction to my Landon Donovan comment is a bit off-base. I wasn't saying that Davis would be Donovan. My point was in reaction to the fear that maybe Sochaux would ask for too much money and I replied that we don't know how this will play out...
--maybe we'll be glad to see him leave in a year b/c we have a better option, or
--maybe he'll be so valuable the league won't be willing to see him leave and will pony up the money
..or somewhere in between.

That's not saying he's going to have Landon Donovan type numbers for the USNT (which, btw, Donovan hadn't scored 42 goals for the US when he was purchased from Bayer Leverkusen in 2005) but had instead scored 20--an impressive number.

Again, I'm not saying Davies is going to be Donovan as a player. I'm just saying that I'll worry about the transfer fee when Davies has been here for a year.

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 8, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I agree with that JoeW. And CD doesn't need to be Landon Donovan, he just needs to be 2x more productive than Allsopp.

If we lose the MNT allocation spot, it will make it virtually impossible that DC United would re-sign Adu upon his eventual return. I'm cool with that.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 8, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Grubbs.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 8, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | February 8, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

2 x 0 = 0

Posted by: Reignking | February 8, 2011 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I love the internet for "fisching" expeditions. Johnson did trial with DC and KC last year. No offer made. He's in Bulgaria now. Finding the DCU post on Johnson sent me on another "fisching" expedition. That post mentioned an ACademy player practicing with DCU who set club fitness marks including a new standard for a 25-meter dash. Jalen Robinson of Catonsville -- right now on the US U18 roster. It would be interesting to see if he gets a more extended look with the varsity this year.

@joel lane -- Taylor is a Jamaican national team defender, who trialed last preseason. Can't recall if they passed on him because he wasn't any good or because they didn't want to use an int'l slot on him.

Posted by: fischy | February 8, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

FC Dallas has signed 31-year-old Brazilian midfielder Ricardo Villar from Spielvereinigung Unterhaching of the German third division.

Villar played from Penn State from 1997-01 after playing youth soccer at Sao Paulo. He was with Hampton Roads and Pittsburgh in the U.S. A-League from 2002-04, then played for Austria Salzburg, South Korea's Chunnam Dragons and Kaiserslautern. He was with Spielvereinigung from 2006-09, then went to Greece's Rodos in 2009 before returning to Spielvereinigung.

Posted by: Reignking | February 8, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, I do hope we sign another academy player this season. It keeps me interested even when we suck. I wonder, since we signed White with a youth spot, does that mean any other signing won't be available this season?

This random speculating is what happens when I don't get a Davies update... :) Haha

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 8, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@grubbsbl -- MLS has lifted the limit on Academy signings. However, the league has also limited the number of salary capped slots to 20. So, teams can have up to 10 uncapped players. Takes away some of the incentive to bring in Academy players, but there's still the plus of holding on to talented players, without having to use a draft pick or a discovery claim.

Posted by: fischy | February 8, 2011 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Do you remember when Esky scored a goal against the Cows and afterwards took a sip of Red Bull and spit it out? I miss that swagger from those DCU squads. I'm hoping Charlie brings it back.

Posted by: DaninFL | February 9, 2011 5:22 AM | Report abuse