Posted at 12:13 PM ET, 02/ 4/2011

Charlie Davies begins D.C. United workouts

By Steve Goff

Charlie Davies, the U.S. forward on a trial with D.C. United ahead of a possible 12-month loan from his French club Sochaux, participated in a 60-minute intrasquad scrimmage Friday morning, Post colleague Amy Shipley reports form Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He partnered with Chinese trialist Yang Men and then Joseph Ngwenya. The session was closed to reporters, and afterward Davies, Santino Quaranta, Coach Ben Olsen and General Manager Dave Kasper offered comments:

Davies: "There are some times when I feel step for step the same. Other times I don't. ... Maybe it's because my confidence isn't right right now. I feel pretty good about my speed and quickness. I have been playing [French] reserve games and everyone knows those games are not Ligue One level and international status. It's good to be out here and show guys I am back. There have always been bits and flashes in training where I am like, 'That was me.' "

For much more.....

Asked how Davies performed, Quaranta said: "It's a tough question because, look, it's just one day. It's Charlie. We're happy to have him here. We think he can help us and I think he looked fine."

Kasper: "He is a little bit rusty. He is not as fit maybe as our other guys. He has not been playing 90 minutes, week in and week out. We want to see how he does over seven days. Can he handle the wear and tear ... the intensity, the physical demands on players every single day?"

Olsen: "We got good feelings. Toward the end, he got a little fatigued. Early, he showed us some moments of what he was."

United has two scrimmages scheduled for Monday: in the morning vs. Canada's under-20 national team and in the afternoon against Florida International University.

Davies is scheduled to fly to Washington late next week to be evaluated by United's doctors, Kasper said.

Amy will file a complete story for online and print edition late today.

In other news, defender Dejan Jakovic will rejoin the Canadian national team this weekend for a friendly Wednesday at Greece.

By Steve Goff  | February 4, 2011; 12:13 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  Charlie Davies, D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend soccer TV listings: Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Mexico
Next: Video: Charlie Davies participating in D.C. United intrasquad scrimmage in Fort Lauderdale

Comments

Hard to extrapolate too much from these comments, but if I had to guess, Davies is not exactly showing his WC qualifier vs. Mexico form out there ...

Posted by: jofij | February 4, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

The hopeful optimist in me says this is good. The rest of me is crossing my fingers.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 4, 2011 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I was (and am) hoping that he makes the squad, but none of those quotes gives me optimism for a person who was training and playing reserve games. For him to be less fit than the guys in pre-season is disappointing.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 4, 2011 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Best I can say on the "evaluations" is that maybe they are trying to manage expectations...for everyone.

Posted by: soccerman | February 4, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Not exactly stellar assessments there - folks seem a bit reserved. Not surprising after all that he went through. However, I would love to have Davies on the squad, even if he isn't at 100 percent. He's proven what he can do, and it would be great for United, for him, and for USMNT.

Posted by: feverish | February 4, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

His being less fit than the other players is not all that shocking. He is only ~15 months from the accident so his body probably not their yet. The telling thing is that Olsen say some good play of him early. And that Kasper wants to see how he holds up over the week. My guess is that at the beginning of the season he may be more of a player that can go for a half at a time as he gets back into game form.

Posted by: GEMMELL | February 4, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

What do we know about this Yang Men fellow? Wikipedia says he's 6'5" -- is that so?

Is it true that Abe Thompson is no longer in camp?

Posted by: OWNTF | February 4, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

It's not like he was coughing up blood, hands gripping shorts.

Glad to see the squad has standards.

Posted by: JkR- | February 4, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Supposedly The Ben and Charlie are having a live interview at 1 pm ET here:

Posted by: OWNTF | February 4, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | February 4, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Abe was dismissed before they touched down in Florida I think.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 4, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Could also be posturing in loan deal negotiations, though I fear that's the optimist in me talking.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 4, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Thompson was released ca six threads ago.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 4, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

ben, per United's website the terms of the loan have already been negotiated.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 4, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Not exactly a ringing endorsement. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. I would rather he's undersold than oversold. Frankly, I think he would have to suck terribly to not make the team.

Posted by: tundey | February 4, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like cautious optimism. At this stage, it's entirely appropriate.

Posted by: edmundburke247 | February 4, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

He's not dead yet.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | February 4, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if Jozy's in the 18 for Bursa? Wondering if I should bother watching the rest of this game.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 4, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I think Tino's assessment indicates that Davies is not as fit as the rest of the team is this far into pre-season. This disappointing part of this is that Davies was in the middle of his season in France, so you'd expect him to be fit, but maybe not as sharp, given his lack of playing time.

I think Ben and Kasper are a little more level headed about it, but probably a little bit disappointed, especially given Olsen's comments on Davies yesterday.

Posted by: TCompton | February 4, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Comparing Davies' recovery to Olsen's (which isn't fair, but that's all I have) seems to put a lot of pressure on how Charlies is doing by day 6 and 7. Early in his comeback, Ben needed breaks every few days as he was literally unable to go. If Charlie is able to go and they see improvement in his stamina, I'm sure they keep him. Earlier posters that speculated on a sub role in the first half of the season are probably onto something.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | February 4, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

seems to be that it's going to be a huge downer if they don't take him on loan, more so than leaving him on the bench. if he's not fit, use him as a supersub for the first half of the season or so.

re altidore: don't see him out there, but the atmosphere sounds pretty wild. fun to watch.

Posted by: ewww | February 4, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Altidore is still waiting on his papers. I think I read 2/13 is his new debut.

Posted by: BlackAndRed337 | February 4, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

It's been one day.

Posted by: GFisher1 | February 4, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Here's video of today's scrimmage:

With all that DC's PR dept. is putting in to this, I'm finding it harder to believe that they wont sign him.

Posted by: me_ahogo | February 4, 2011 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Sort of surprised that Charlie isn't "as fit maybe as our other guys"

DC is in pre-season. Charlie's been training for months with the first team and playing reserve matches.

Having said that, I highly doubt DC will reject the loan based on a fitness issue. If he shows brief flashes of his old self in matches, and only needs a butt whoopin' conditioning coach, it's a done deal.

Posted by: delantero | February 4, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

As expected people. I think that Redskin's preseason blog moment has passed and cool light of a winter day has been shone on a player who is, at best, REBUILDING.

Posted by: lovinliberty | February 4, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

you can leave the Redskins out of this

Posted by: DadRyan | February 4, 2011 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I blame Shanahan.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 4, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

1. I don't think the comments are disappointing in the least. DCU wants to do due-diligence. They've got a week. They can't decide if he's a keeper at this point b/c maybe he can look good for one day and then joints act up or he goes to the trainer for 4 days. They need to see him for 6-7 day of intensive physical activity to see how he holds up. So any conclusion at this point is premature.

2. I'm a bit surprised that he isn't in the shape of a lot of the other players. CD has been in reserve matches. Even at a lower level of play, I would have figured his conditioning would be ahead of players just starting their preseason.

3. It's EXTREMELY encouraging to me that Olsen I think said that he showed flashes at the beginning before he tired. My big concern was that he simply wouldn't be capable anymore. We know he needs to improve physically. We know he needs to get sharp. But one question was: can he ever show enough (physically or in terms of touch) to still be effective. And it sounds like he showed that--that answers a huge question.

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 4, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Still hoping for the best for CD9.

I am surprised to hear Abe Thompson was dismissed. What happened? Was he out of shape?

Posted by: Ron16 | February 4, 2011 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I would blame Dan Snyder, but he'd sue me.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 4, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

What about Braesso?

Posted by: joeortega4 | February 4, 2011 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Any early feedback on Perry Kitchen?

Posted by: Zipfutbol | February 6, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Any early feedback on Perry Kitchen?

Posted by: Zipfutbol | February 6, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse