Posted at 11:16 AM ET, 02/ 7/2011

Charlie Davies with a goal and assist in D.C. United's first preseason match in Florida

By Steve Goff

In his first preseason match with D.C. United, forward Charlie Davies had a goal and an assist in the first half of a 5-1 victory over the Canadian under-20 national team Monday morning in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Davies, who is seeking to secure a roster spot during a one-week trial, played 74 minutes, the most by any of the field players. United has agreed to terms with Sochaux, Davies' French club, for a season-long loan but wants to evaluate him before finalizing a deal. He is scheduled to meet with team doctors in Washington this week.

Davies, 24, has not played in an official first-team match since suffering severe injuries in a car accident in Arlington, Va., in October 2009. If not for the accident, he probably would have started for the United States at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Forward Joseph Ngwenya, signed by United this winter, had three goals in the first 21 minutes before Davies scored in the 41st. Midfielder Andy Najar made it 5-0 early in the second half.

DCU LINEUP
GK Cronin; RB Zayner (Korb 46th), CB Brasesco (James 46th), CB Kitchen (Shanosky 46th), LB Woolard (Burch 46th); RMF Quaranta (Najar 46th), CMF Morsink (King 46th), CMF McCarty (Simms 46th), LMF Boskovic (Barklage 46th); F Ngwenya (Wolff 46th), F Davies (Pontius 74th).

Of note: D Dejan Jakovic is with Canada's national team for Wednesday's friendly at Greece. ... GK Bill Hamid is in the final stages of rehab from a shoulder injury. ... This afternoon's preseason match against Florida International University was called off because of scheduling issues and is likely to be played later this week, a club spokesman said.

By Steve Goff  | February 7, 2011; 11:16 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  Charlie Davies, D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: American soccer players abroad
Next: Charlie Davies and D.C. United: What's next?

Comments

Okay, it's just training camp, and it's just the Canadian under 20s, but isn't that more goals than we scored last year?

I'm feeling better about next season already.

Posted by: wichne | February 7, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

So Davies played longer than anyone else in the team!? I'm going from highly skeptical, to cautiously optimistic. Trying not to piss my pants though in all actuality...;)
Vamos United!
Any coincidence to the fact that when they redistributed jersey numbers a few weeks a go that the #9 was left on the table???

Posted by: DadRyan | February 7, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@wichne: Buy your season tickets now.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 7, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 7, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Wolff couldn't score? Cut him.

Posted by: Reignking | February 7, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 7, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

This does not bode well for the future of Canadian soccer.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 7, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

They call him Wolff because he only scores once in a blue moon..

Posted by: StewartDC8 | February 7, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Interesting to see Boskovic playing on the left wing which I think was his position with Red Star Belgrade. From the Twitter feed, I think that he had 3 assists/corners for goals. Tino better get his act together or he won't be seeing the field. Dax also sounded like he distibuted well.

Posted by: tcbannon | February 7, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I like this line-up. It looks like a creative way to get our attacking players on the field. I'll hold my enthusiasms untill the third game of the season.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 7, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I remember a recent preseason where we beat a team in Mexico and won a tournament in South Carolina, then were atrocious in the actual season.

Color me dubious over a 5-1 drubbing of some Canadian kids.

Posted by: Josh86 | February 7, 2011 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Is it Wednesday already?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 7, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

@Josh86: Good point. I'm thinking that our focus should be on our strengths, so maybe we can petition the league for some type of trophy for the best preseason record/performance.

Guaranteed hardware.

Posted by: elopingcamel | February 7, 2011 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I love how "Charlie Davies" is the story for DC United this off-season. It's actually somewhat of a relief not to have to hear all about how we don't have a stadium (or plans to build a stadium), and we don't have a coach yet, or some other negative focus on the team.

The down side of it is that we had two FORWARDS score four goals, one FORWARD had a hat-trick, but the only one that matters was the one Charlie Davies scored.

It's just funny.

Posted by: TCompton | February 7, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse

@tcbannon -- Assuming the team does keep Davies, and barring injuries, I assume that DC will go with a 4-man midfield. In that set, I think there's very little chance that Quaranta will start. McCarty and Simms will man the middle. Boskovic and Najar will be on the wings. Up top, Davies will partner with a mix of Pontius, Ngwenya and Wolff.

In the back, I think it's more unsettled. Kitchen might start, which would leave James and Jakovic battling for a spot -- ir Kitchen will be allowed time to work his way in. Outside. it'll probably be Burch and Zayner, at least until White and Brasesco show they're ready for that responsibility.

Posted by: fischy | February 7, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I too am beginning to have cautious optimism about this season. Realizing it's a pre-season lineup, I can see how it develops with Simms and Dax both on the field (Morsink sits), Najar starting over Tino, and Jakovic starting in D. Problem is the rest of that back line is SCARY - despite the potential of Kitchen, he's still a rookie and I don't even need to say anything about the other names. We better put up the goals this year, or Hamid/Cronin is going to have to have one hell of a breakout season.

Posted by: gmAndAguinness. | February 7, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I remember last year's early away game against Philadelphia. I remember coming home from Philly horribly depressed. I remember reading Goff describing our play as below high-school caliber. I remember agreeing.

Well, in case someone questions whether we're good enough to beat some high-schoolers *this* year, we now know the answer is an emphatic YES!

What? They were *Canadian* high schoolers? Aw crap.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | February 7, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Would you prefer they lost 5-1?

It's never a bad thing to ring up goals, regardless of the competition.

Posted by: ARickey | February 7, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Here comes the Treble!

Posted by: delantero | February 7, 2011 12:35 PM | Report abuse

@TCompton -- It makes sense to me. They played a bunch of Canadian teenagers. Scoring isn't that big of a deal, but Ngwenya isn't being evaluated here. Davies is. So, his play is more noteworthy.

We could talk about Barklage getting an assist. That's good to see, too -- but, he's just fighting to get on the roster. If Davies makes it, he'll be featured. They won't paying him two or three hundred thousand to sit on the bench.

As for the stadium --- having Davies would mean much bigger crowds in for the march opener and early April matches. Scoring goals and winning games would mean season-long crowds --not just reversing the decline, but maybe even record averages. Heck, they might even have bigger crowds than the Nats. That would do a lot to to advance the team's chances of getting needed help from the city.

Posted by: fischy | February 7, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Two goals off corners? Who are these guys, and what have they done with D.C. United?

Posted by: spidergoose | February 7, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Last season, this game would have been a 2-1 affair, with Allsopp and Hernandez making us desperately believe they might be getting into scoring form.

This is not a bad sign from Davies. Good news.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | February 7, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Wait for it...

:D

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 7, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

fischy - agree with the mid/forward lineup. During the second half of last season, I kept staring at Boskovic and wondering why he couldn't do in MLS what he did in lower Europe league. He just wasn't productive in the middle of the field last year. A Boskovic, McCarty, Najar attacking middle has a chance to work. Are the days of desperate up-and-over kickball behind us?

Posted by: tcbannon | February 7, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@metzler -- Then, you might be interested in knowing that Philadelphia managed only a 1-1 tie with the USA U17s...

Posted by: fischy | February 7, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Time will tell. This is a team we're supposed to beat, and handily. Let's make it a trend and finish the next opponent with as much panache.

Posted by: Matte | February 7, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

fischy: indeed, I am interested to know that. Despite the fact that it's early and likely meaningless as to how Philly will be, it still makes me giggle.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | February 7, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

It must be preseason if nobody is complaining about the goal United gave up.

Posted by: twhamlin | February 7, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Ngwenya with a hat trick in 21 minutes of play? I think Goffer buried the lead. :)

Posted by: dsheon1 | February 7, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Any word on whether video will be posted from the scrimmage? I wanna see me some DCU goals (because it feels like WAAAAY too long since they've scored any).

Posted by: elopingcamel | February 7, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Didn't we tear up the pre-season last year . .. and we all know how indicative that turned out to be.

Posted by: delantero | February 7, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

What is definitely good here is that CD got in a lot of minutes. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. This was the men vs. the boys, and Canadian boys at that.

We can say that CD is keeping hope alive.

Posted by: Ron16 | February 7, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks DCU, you just made my cr*p Monday a little bit better.

I was just thinking that Ngwenya looks pretty bada$$ in that jersey, hope he pays off for us.

So when do we get to watch a streamed match??

Posted by: DCB23 | February 7, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I think one of the reasons Benny was lukewarm on Quaranta as captain is that Quaranta could have trouble cracking the lineup.

Posted by: hungrypug | February 7, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@delantero: I don't recall DC tearing it up in last year's pre-season.

@dsheon1: I agree. Seeing that Ngwenya scored a hattrick in 21 minutes puts Davies' accomplishment in perspective.

Posted by: tundey | February 7, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

2011 MLS CUP Champs

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | February 7, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Weird not seeing Jaime Moreno's name on that list.

@ Tundey: by "tearing it up" I mean we beat Santos Laguna and I think won the Carolina Cup . .

Posted by: delantero | February 7, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Champions of February...:)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 7, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | February 7, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't "DC tearing it up" last preseason mostly made up of Jaime scoring a few PKs? That and his Bolivian CB buddy played ok.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 7, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Champions of February...:)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 7, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse

However, I hope we don't become the Redskins of MLS.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 7, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Any feedback on Perry Kitchen's pre-season so far?

Posted by: Zipfutbol | February 7, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I get the whole, U-20 consideration, but it is nice to see Boskovic notching 3 assists (according to DCU's write-up). You've got to wonder if Canada's coach had his kids pressure more in the midfield after half. It seems like United may have had a lot more room to play with in the first half.

Posted by: TCompton | February 7, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I like the new lineup with one exception - Zayner is terrible. Last time I saw him play live, he couldn't keep the ball away from a 10 year old Canadian much less a 20 year old. Hopefully he's improved.

Posted by: conare | February 8, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse