Posted at 11:43 AM ET, 02/12/2011

Charlie Davies with two goals and an assist in D.C. United preseason victory

By Steve Goff

Charlie Davies made another strong showing at D.C. United training camp Saturday, scoring twice and adding an assist in the second half of a 4-0 preseason victory over Trinidad and Tobago's under-20 national team in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Satisfied with Davies' ability to play at a high level, United intends to proceed with plans to acquire him on a year-long loan from French club Sochaux, sources said. However, contract issues remain unresolved. Neither the club nor Davies' representatives would comment on the status of negotiations.

Davies, a U.S. national team regular until being severely injured in a car accident 16 months ago, is seeking to rejuvenate his club career after playing for Sochaux's reserve squad last fall.

For more details.....

On Saturday, after not playing in the first half, Davies crossed to Kurt Morsink for a 68th-minute goal. A minute later, he collected Chris Pontius's through ball and beat the goalkeeper to the near post. In the 75th, he made an assertive run past the defense and rocketed a shot into the near side.

On Monday, Davies had a goal and an assist in 74 minutes of action against Canada's under-20 national team. On Thursday, he underwent a series of medical tests in Washington.

He is expected to accompany United to Washington on Sunday and, if a deal is reached, travel with the club to California on Wednesday for the third stage of training camp.

DCU LINEUP
GK Harrison (Willis 46th); Ds Zayner (Korb 46th), Brasesco (James 46th), Kitchen (Shanosky 46th), Burch (Woolard 46th); MFs Najar (Quaranta 46th), Simms (Morsink 46th, Yang Men 76th), McCarty (Barklage (46th), Boskovic (Najar 46th, Brettschneider 60th); Fs Ngwenya (Davies 46th), Wolff (Pontius 46th).

Scoring: Ngwenya (McCarty) 33rd minute; Morsink (Davies), 68th; Davies (Pontius) 69th; Davies, 75th.

By Steve Goff  | February 12, 2011; 11:43 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United, France, MLS  | Tags:  Charlie Davies, D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Wayne Rooney with a spectacular go-ahead goal for Manchester United vs. Manchester City
Next: American soccer players abroad: Bocanegra and Chandler score, Altidore impresses

Comments

Okay, it's too early to reach conclusions about how good someone can be based on preseason...last year Jaime Moreno looked like he'd discovered the fountain of youth. But one thing that this brief bit of info seems to suggest is that even if the goals were lucky or the competition weak or CD was inconsistent (all or none of which may be true), he seems to have reacquired some swagger and confidence...which he didn't have earlier and is also critical for a successful goal scorer. And that's a good sign.

We need to make this deal happen.

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 12, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm prepared to spend as much of Will Chang's money as it takes...

Posted by: JkR- | February 12, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

DC United: CONCACAF U20 Gold Cup CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2011 11:57 AM | Report abuse

@ JkR-

Me too!

Posted by: mbyrd28 | February 12, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm breathing into a paper bag. Two goals and an assist in a half from the walking scar?

Does it mean he's back? Say no, say no, say no.... Can't do it. I'm excited. And Really want Sochaux and DC not to flub this thing. It's good for everyone, people.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | February 12, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Ole Ole Ole Ole!!!

Posted by: zizou1972 | February 12, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

It would be interesting to see videos of him running at full speed in game situations pre and post-injur(ies) side by side.

I like how Ben Olsen, from southern Pa, seems to respect the fact that Charlie is a wrestler. I can't imagine there are a whole lot of former wrestlers in MLS. Anyone have a list?

Posted by: getanewnumber10 | February 12, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I notice Najar only went 15 minutes before getting subbed off - I hope that's just Ben resting him.

Posted by: Josh86 | February 12, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Confusing.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 12, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Make.
The.
Deal.

Posted by: carnack | February 12, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I'll jump in on the "spending Chang's money" deal, and even offer to give $90 or so of it back in exchange for a replica jersey with a "Davies 9" on it.

Also, I'm sure that I'd it was an injury situation with Najar, we'd have heard about it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 12, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

If*

My phone apologizes.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 12, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm also liking the Dax - Ngwenya combo, lesser competition but having someone actually getting an assist from a central role is encouraging...

Posted by: timspears | February 12, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

What is the hang-up here? It was widely reported that the terms were agreed upon before Davies arrived.

OT: I know one shouldn't go off the deep end about national team prospects after a few decent performances, but that said: CAP TIMOTHY CHANDLER NOW.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 12, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he'll be able to do half that against grown ups . . .

Make it so, welcome to DC United, Chuck DZ!

Posted by: delantero | February 12, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@Josh86

Najar went the full 45 in teh first half.

Boskovic was subbed out at the half. Najar moved from the right to the left (or stayed on the left)
Quaranta came in and played the right for the second half

Najar then subbed out in the 60th.

Not to make it too confusing there was a tweet indicating that Boscovic and Najar swapped sides during the first half

Its nice to see the assists and goals coming from different people as well as exactly where they are supposed too. Also seems that the D is playing more confidently, but hard to tell with the limited info. Competition may not be the best, but you still have to execute and finish regarless of the opponent. Something far more guys are doing than last year during preseason and regular season.

No injury

Posted by: WCinDC | February 12, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I see that now on Najar

Posted by: Josh86 | February 12, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

35 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 12, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Pontius 0/2
Morsink 1/1
McCarty 0/1

Tino 0/0
Wolff 0/0

Posted by: tcbannon | February 12, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Umm, I believe Ngwenya scored three times in our first match against the Canadian Under-20s.

Posted by: b18bolo | February 12, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: b18bolo | February 12, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: b18bolo | February 12, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of doing things three times...

;)

Posted by: michanikos1 | February 12, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Wicked hat trick from b18bolo. LOL.

Please make this deal happen DCU. We're ALL counting on you.

My cousin in law was in a terrible skiing accident two days ago in Montana. Fractured pelvis, among other broken bones, etc. No head injury though. If Charlie gets signed next week I will be headed to the team store to buy him a Davies jersey as a get well soon/heal strong totem.

Don't fail me Chang!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 12, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Dar Ryan sorry to hear that, I just took a day off for skiing last Wed and I notice most people seem to wear helmets these days, I might finally be persuaded to pick one up.

Boy I feel more and more excited about this season and I think I will actually have something good to "sell" to my work colleagues and friends when I organize my yearly DCU tailgate. Last year was a tough sell, just made sure I kept 'em all fully liquored up.

Posted by: DCB23 | February 12, 2011 4:44 PM | Report abuse

DCB23 (and Dad Ryan),
My friend said it best: "Would you go on a mountain bike ride without a helmet? Lot more people on a ski hill, and you go a lot faster." That was 10 years ago, and I have worn a helmet everyday skiing since. (Here in Colorado, that means over 35 days a year, even with 2 young kids!)
Hope your cousin in law is okay, sounds nasty.

Posted by: jojosbo | February 12, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Dad - sorry to hear. Hoping he get's well soon.

Ngwenya should be 4/0. (need an edit button)

Posted by: tcbannon | February 12, 2011 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the triple post. I press "Submit" and nothing happens, so I press "Refresh," and nothing happens, and so I press "Enter," and nothing happens....

Posted by: b18bolo | February 12, 2011 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Something happens all right ;-). It is nice that lots of our players are contributing as opposed to the Coffe Cup last spring. Keep it up boys.

Posted by: tcbannon | February 12, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

yeah, the comments take a long time to post. just gotta be patient.

Is no one else excited that Ngwenya is putting in goals? This might be an even bigger story as far as I am concerned. We have been needed a poacher/finisher for a while now after Luci went off the boil.

we all got excited after last year's great preseason too. But optimism should reign this time of year.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 12, 2011 6:12 PM | Report abuse

@fedssocr,

I'm clinging to a shred of my natural pessimism on the grounds that last year's opposition at this stage was MLS-level and we struggled to score. Maybe Luci would've feasted on CONCACAF HS kids too, maybe not. We'll see soon enough whether Branko's distribution and Ngwenya/CD9's athleticism is enough to break games open at the next level.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 12, 2011 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Almost forgot: As I was scanning through the archives of last year's preseason reports I came across a comment from fischy that basically said, Moreno better keep scoring because if he doesn't, no one on that team would. I guess we know how that all worked out.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 12, 2011 7:39 PM | Report abuse

@fedssocr,@benonhill - yup. My unsubstantiated optimism is centered on Dax and Boskovic feeding CD9, Pontius and Ngwenya with surgical darting runs from Najar. The point is that if some of this can translate to the regular season, then General Benny has options. Of those 6 names, only one of them began last season and he was the rookie of the year (caught). I'm optimistic. That and I paid my season ticket fee in December ;-0

Posted by: tcbannon | February 12, 2011 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Dang it. I meant that only one of them played the whole season. (where is that edit button?). :-(

Posted by: tcbannon | February 12, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 12, 2011 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 12, 2011 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 12, 2011 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 12, 2011 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 12, 2011 11:19 PM | Report abuse

It's in the net!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 12, 2011 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope the Stanky Leg replaces the Dougie as the DC sports scene dance du jour starting in March.... :-)

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 12, 2011 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Aaaahg! New phone causing all sorts of problems. Sorry everyone.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 12, 2011 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Aaaahg! New phone causing all sorts of problems. Sorry everyone.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 12, 2011 11:23 PM | Report abuse

what was that?
what was that?
could you repeat yourself?
please?
thanks...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 12, 2011 11:34 PM | Report abuse

It's in the net!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 12, 2011 11:20 PM | Report abuse

-----------

@Dad you missed the obligatory multiple post but I got your back.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 12, 2011 11:46 PM | Report abuse

too funny. Good night all.

too funny. Good night all.

too funny. Good night all.

(Goff, please report that the CD deal is signed on Sunday)

Posted by: tcbannon | February 12, 2011 11:49 PM | Report abuse

After dealing with several lenders in Austin, I finally called 123 mortgage refi.I am a Realtor, and have several relationships in the mortgage business including major banks. I wish I would have been introduced to 123 sooner. They got solution to lower your interest

Posted by: kimtyler133 | February 13, 2011 1:04 AM | Report abuse

You guys should take lessons from the mortgage-broker spammers. They never double/triple post.

Sorry to hear about your cousin-in-law DadRyan. I hope he heals quickly and that DC signs CD so you can get him that jersey.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 13, 2011 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Jozy with the start for Bursaspor.
Jozy with the start for Bursaspor.
Jozy with the start for Bursaspor.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 13, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

.gif of Jozy doin work for Bursapor

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 13, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

The .GIF of Jozy dribbling retweeted by Goff is nice.

Posted by: sitruc | February 13, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

nice
nice
nice

Posted by: DadRyan | February 13, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Enough
Enough
Enough

Posted by: carnack | February 13, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Had a feeling Turkey would fit his style of play.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | February 13, 2011 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for those highlights!

Is the footage all one sequence or is Jozy's spinning dribbling and pass up the left at a different time of the game than when Bursa's goal is scored?

Hard to tell.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 13, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Well it is still way too early, but it would be great to have CD9 in the squad for the upcoming season. Good luck to him and DCU.

Posted by: uknowmeas-GQ | February 13, 2011 8:48 PM | Report abuse