Posted at 2:14 PM ET, 02/10/2011

D.C. United 2011 MLS schedule

By Steve Goff

D.C. United's 34-match league schedule. All times are Eastern. Local TV coverage to be determined. (The first two games were announced in December.)

March 19 vs. Columbus Crew, 7:30
March 26 at New England Revolution, 4:30
April 3 at Colorado Rapids, 7 (Galavision)
April 9 vs. Los Angeles Galaxy, 7:30
April 16 at Toronto FC, 4
April 21 vs. New York Red Bulls, 8 (ESPN2)
April 29 at Houston Dynamo, 8:30
May 4 vs. Seattle Sounders, 7:30
May 7 vs. FC Dallas, 7:30
May 14 vs. Colorado Rapids, 7:30
May 29 at Portland Timbers, 5

June 4 at Los Angeles Galaxy, 10:30
June 11 vs. San Jose Earthquakes, 7:30
June 18 at Real Salt Lake, 9
June 25 vs. Houston Dynamo, 8 (Galavision)
July 2 vs. Philadelphia Union, 7:30
July 9 at New York Red Bulls, 7:30
July 16 at FC Dallas, 9
July 20 vs. New England Revolution, 7:30
July 30 at San Jose Earthquakes, 10:30
Aug. 6 vs. Toronto FC, 7:30
Aug. 13 vs. Vancouver Whitecaps, 7:30
Aug. 18 at Chicago Fire, 9 (ESPN2)
Aug. 21 at Sporting Kansas City, 7 (Galavision)
Aug. 27 vs. Portland Timbers, 7:30
Sept. 10 at Chivas USA, 10:30
Sept. 17 at Seattle Sounders, 9
Sept. 21 vs. Chivas USA, 7:30
Sept. 24 vs. Real Salt Lake, 7:30
Sept. 29 at Philadelphia Union, 8 (ESPN2)
Oct. 2 at Columbus Crew, 4
Oct. 12 at Vancouver Whitecaps, 10:30
Oct. 15 vs. Chicago Fire, 7:30
Oct. 22 vs. Sporting Kansas City, 7:30

By Steve Goff  | February 10, 2011; 2:14 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  D.C. United, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday kickaround: MLS schedule, D.C. United, Copa Libertadores, Eric Lichaj loan, Mexico-Bosnia
Next: D.C. United goalkeeper Steve Cronin out 8-10 weeks, midfielder Junior Carreiro sidelined with ankle injury

Comments

I'm outraged, of course.

Posted by: JkR- | February 10, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Makes perfect sense to me. Play early April games in Colorado and Toronto, and save the LA trips until June and Sept. and the trip to Dallas until July.

Maybe DC should skip the warm-weather preseason training and train in Canada to get ready for those early games.

Posted by: fischy | February 10, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I second the outrage, we have to play 50% of our games on the road!!!

Posted by: rockotodd | February 10, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

God, I love a balanced schedule!

It's a shame that the initial Portland-Vancouver match will not be on national TV. But the inaugural Portland-Seattle match at Qwest Field? They could probably sell out the entire stadium for that match.

Posted by: jofij | February 10, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Only 3 ESPN2 games? That's unfortunate, but understandable.

Posted by: kdiff813 | February 10, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I'm a little bummed by the Thursday night game in Philly. I was hoping to make road trip to see the new stadium and enjoy some time in the city. Maybe I can take the day, have an early dinner there, but it's hard to justify that if the games on TV.

Speaking of which, any clue when we find out which games Comcast SportsNet won't broadcast this year?

Posted by: fischy | February 10, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Some of these dates don't work for us, can we re-schedule? Send something to my calendar....

Posted by: JkR- | February 10, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, DCU, for not scheduling a single day game I can take my kids to. Considering that's the only way I can talk my way out of the house to spend money on something like this (by taking the kids with me), my hopes for making it to RFK this season have diminished.

Go ahead, someone pompously explain why I'm stupid because youth soccer is played during weekend days.

Maybe M&T Bank Stadium will have room in their calendar for day games when United play there next season...

Posted by: daandre3 | February 10, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

fischy, you could always leave work early on Thursday, meet me in Chester at our tailgate and then take the next day off and the whole darn weekend for that matter to enjoy the sites in Illadelph. :)

Honestly I was on pins and needles about the dates at RBA and PPL park more than anything. I will do everything in my power to road trip to both. Also, as much as it would be cool to take in a double header of Gold Cup @ RFK and a DCU match I'm actually kind of happy to see that United will be on the road at Salt Lake that weekend. Freeing up the entire weekend to (hopefully if they make the quarters) see the US play at either RFK or New Meadowlands depending on the group they are placed in.

Now that this sched has come out can someone tell CONCACAF to get on the stick and do the Gold Cup draw already!
Vamos, Vamos, Vamos!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 10, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I think Sporting KC's (Nobody Beats The Wiz!) new stadium will be ready for DCU's trip out there in August. I was in KC for a few months for work and attended some games at the old Minor League Baseball stadium (awful)...this looks like it's going to be really nice.

Posted by: aschreur | February 10, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

It looks like night games are more profitable than afternoon games, since there are none scheduled for home fixtures and few for away games. I think they've put this in place over the past few years.

This makes sense for the warm weather and for attracting the team's target audience, I suppose.

I'm bummed (outraged!), however, because my kiddo is finally old enough to go to the stadium with me, but 7:30 start times put much of the game after her bead time. I was looking forward to Freedom games for this purpose, but I'm not flying to Florida for it.

Posted by: WorldCup | February 10, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse

WorldCup, you could always go to Seattle for that match. Starts at 6 west coast time...:)

I was hoping for some early games again this year as well for the kid factor, but perhaps the return of the real reserve league may open up some opportunities to play some hooky with the kiddos and see some of the youngin's at the practice fields. Play date? :)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 10, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Conspicuously absent from ESPN's Televised games...ANY match featuring TFC or Vancouver...

Goff???

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 10, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the family folks, but day games in the summer is.... hmm, what's the word;

dreadful? awful? It must have been 120 F for that match vs. Galaxy a few years ago. (Sunday at noon; the 'Heart of a Lion' game). The play itself was unwatchable. Unless I was suffering from Yuengling Eyes....

Posted by: Late2Bass | February 10, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

^^^^^^^^^^^^Sorry That post above is mine....^^^

Posted by: JkR- | February 10, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

daandre, you aren't stupid but you gotta figure out a way to borrow the pants in the house every once in a while even if you regularly don't wear them.

Men need time out without their kids no matter how much they love them, and secondly unless your kids are old enough to actually enjoy the game it's damn near a waste of time save for getting all sentimental about it. My daughter is going on 4 and in all honesty she's probably only a tiny fraction more equipped to hang in there for an entire match than she was last year. I'm not losing much sleep over afternoon games. The one we went to last year was hotter than hell and it was hard not to be distracted by her pacing up and down the steps of the stadium for half the match. Luckily my wife was there to corral her from time to time... :)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 10, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Really the only reason to take small children to a game is because it's cheaper than a sitter. (I started taking my kids when they were 8 and 5.)

Posted by: Senor_Funk | February 10, 2011 5:18 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan,

I hear you, and yes, my post was a little unfiltered vitriol, but I don't see what's difficult about one afternoon match in April or May before it's too hot. My daughter actually really enjoys them.

Btw, the pants comment is a cheap shot. There are plenty of other things going on that it's tough to justify spending money on a mediocre team.

Posted by: daandre3 | February 10, 2011 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | February 10, 2011 2:46 PM
==========

If you use Google Calendars, you can subscribe to DC United's and a whole lotta soccer teams' calendars. Oddly enough, the season opener doesn't appear on my calendar.

1. Pull up the Google Calendar screen
2. In the Other Calendars panel to the left, click "Add"
3. Select Browse Interesting Calendars
4. Click on the Sports tab
5. Click on Soccer
6. Scroll down to Major League Soccer
7. Find DC United and click Subscribe

For WPS
6. Womens Professional Soccer
7. Washington Freedom

Unfortunately, subscribed calendars cannot be synced to Outlook using Google's calendar sync. That's just as well, lest everyone in the office finds out that your Tuesday and Wednesday doctor appointments coincide with Champions League games.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 10, 2011 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan

-------------------------

LMAO!

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | February 10, 2011 10:59 PM | Report abuse

"I don't see what's difficult about one afternoon match in April or May before it's too hot."

Seconded.

I wonder if the 4pm-ish games over the past few years have had better attendance than the 7:30 games? If not, then fine, not much sense in scheduling them that way, I guess.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | February 11, 2011 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Disappointed there are no afternoon games for kids to attend. Why in the world do they open on March 19 and ask us to freeze vs enjoying a day in early Spring sunshine? Don't they get it on offering the KIDS opportunities to acquaint themselves & force the adults to bring a group of kids?

Posted by: richgolf1 | February 11, 2011 12:17 PM | Report abuse

My family and I enjoyed the game held at Germantown Soccer Plex last year. We sat on the lawn, had a picnic, parking was free and the kids loved the atmosphere! If you are reading this Mr. Chang, please have one or two games in Maryland please.

Posted by: zizou1972 | February 13, 2011 8:39 AM | Report abuse