Posted at 9:16 AM ET, 02/16/2011

D.C. United acquires Charlie Davies on a season-long loan from French club Sochaux

By Steve Goff

Charlie Davies is officially a member of D.C. United.

After several days of negotiations, the MLS club announced Wednesday that it has acquired the former U.S. national team starter from French club Sochaux on a one-year loan. United will also have the option to purchase his contract at the end of the season.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but sources close to the situation said United agreed to pay Davies about $300,000 [UPDATE: I'm now told it's around $180,000] and include several incentives. To claim him, United exercised its position at the top of the MLS allocation order, which is utilized when prominent U.S. players decide to play in the league.

United will formally introduce the 24-year-old forward at a 2 p.m. news conference at RFK Stadium (live video on the team's Web site). Davies, who has been practicing with the club for the past two weeks, will then fly to Oxnard, Calif., for the third stage of training camp. He will wear uniform No. 9, his national team designation.

Before agreeing to the deal, United spent two weeks evaluating Davies, who 16 months ago was severely injured in a car accident in the Washington area while on national team duty. He has not played in a first-division game since, spending the first half of this French season with Sochaux's reserve squad.

"He simply looks terrific," United General Manager Dave Kasper said. "Coming in, we weren't sure where he would be, but he's great physically, has impressed with his mental approach and we're excited to see him on the field with us this season."

During his stay with United in Florida, Davies scored in two scrimmages against youth national teams. He also passed physical exams administered by United's doctors in Washington.

For much more.....

"This past week in Florida has shown me how great the atmosphere around the team is, and I know this is a place where I can be successful," Davies said. "This is a group of guys that is very close, and I'm excited to be a part of it. Ben [Olsen] is a coach that will push me and get the most out of me, and the ultimate goal is to help this team turn it around for this upcoming season and to put D.C. United on the map."

Mixing speed, strength and a scoring touch, Davies moved from Boston College to Swedish club Hammarby and then Sochaux in 2009. For the U.S. national team, he had a breakout performance at the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa. Later that summer, he became just the fourth American to score against Mexico at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City.

However, in October of that year, a few days after the U.S. team clinched a World Cup berth, Davies was in Washington ahead of a match against Costa Rica when he broke curfew and met friends for late-night socializing. On the ride back to the team hotel, he was a back-seat passenger in a car that veered off the George Washington Memorial Parkway in Arlington.

Davies suffered a lacerated bladder, fractured right tibia and femur, a fractured elbow, facial injuries and bleeding on the brain. The other passenger, Ashley Roberta of Phoenix, Md., was killed.

The driver, Maria Alejandra Espinoza, from Clarksville, Md., pleaded guilty this past November to involuntary manslaughter and maiming while driving intoxicated, both felonies. This Friday's sentencing at U.S. District Court in Alexandria was moved to next month. The new date is tentatively set for March 18 -- the day before United's season opener against the Columbus Crew at RFK.

By Steve Goff  | February 16, 2011; 9:16 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  Charlie Davies, D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United in market for another goalkeeper
Next: Poll: Charlie Davies and D.C. United

Comments

I can exhale now.

Dear Kevin and Dave - I never doubted for a second that you could pull this off. Now get back to work.

Posted by: tcbannon | February 16, 2011 9:22 AM | Report abuse

:D!!!!!!!!

Just for you, OWNTF

#LehGo!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 16, 2011 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Great news! Thanks to the Insider for all the great reporting on this story.

Good luck to you Charlie> DCU and you certainly need each other, so let's turn this into the feel-good story of the year (fingers crossed).

Posted by: michanikos1 | February 16, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

There's gonna be VIDEO for the press conference!

Posted by: JkR- | February 16, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to DC, CD. We have been supporting you, and now we hopefully will get to see you be the league's leading scorer this year.

Posted by: KRIKET | February 16, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Yeah baby! Something else to be excited about! Is this the last piece of the puzzle or is there more to come? Now, we have offense, mid-field, and defense. The goalie problems are hopefully just temporary until either Hamid or Cronin are healthy, again...

Posted by: DCUmaniacsX2 | February 16, 2011 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Ahh, I can finally say something on the forum without jinxing it. I've been abstaining for days trying to keep my horrible luck away from DCU and CD. Props to all you who backed Goff and shunned Alan19.. Crackhead

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | February 16, 2011 9:37 AM | Report abuse

El no que sale es un hijo de poota.

Posted by: bs2004 | February 16, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

As the season awaits, my mindset has fully shifted from morbid curiosity to semi-eager anticipation. Who knows what will be, but it promises to be interesting. Lots of story lines. Let the Benny Ball begin.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 16, 2011 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Let the jersey sales begin

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | February 16, 2011 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 16, 2011 9:41 AM | Report abuse

.....And finally Charlie Davies has come to DC United! Wish him the best.

Posted by: RM27 | February 16, 2011 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Shwing! I was happy about what I saw in my hometown team this offseason before CD9 came aboard. I'm ecstatic now!

Forgive me a moment of ahead-of-myself fantasy when I say that I would absolutely love to see Davies' story grow to include leading DCU back to the promised land en route to re-establishing himself as a MNT star.

Posted by: Consider_the_source | February 16, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"El no que sale es un hijo de poota."

Posted by: bs2004

El que no SALTA (jump) es un hijo de puta

Posted by: Pete803 | February 16, 2011 9:53 AM | Report abuse

They don't teach you that on Rosetta Stone.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 16, 2011 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Great news.

How long until we can get stories about Charlie that don't include those last 3 paragraphs?

Also, what's the deal with DCU sitting out all those lotteries, especially the Agorsor one? Did they sit that one out because Philly wanted Agorsor? I hope not. He's a local kid who was the #1 college recruit a few years ago. I know he's had injury problems, but I would also have to think he's got a much higher upside than Brettschneider.

Even if DCU sign all their draft picks, they still have 3 open roster slots. Even if they do sign some unknown trialist not yet with the team, they still have a slot for a big summer signing and another for a lottery pick-up. With DCU sitting at the top of the lottery pool, this deserves some consideration, but it shouldn't be squandered without taking a shot. Are they waiting on some future lottery player? Do they have someone in mind?

Posted by: fischy | February 16, 2011 9:57 AM | Report abuse

My "pucker factor" just went down a bit...CD9 in Black and Red!!!

Posted by: soccerman | February 16, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

i don't know why Goff wasn't with Kasper to report on the phone call to Davies, while simultaneously being there with Davies to get his reaction. just lazy reporting and a lack of commitment from the Post. what are our Soccer Insider subscription fees paying for?

this may always be my favorite, even if the US went on to lose. looking forward to many Davies/DCU highlights this year.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 16, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

palabra!

Posted by: beergorila | February 16, 2011 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm SO happy. I think Davies will be able to contribute this season, and it is so exciting to see it unfold.

@ I-270Exit1

This dance is the one I'm doing. Embarrassing but true.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | February 16, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

The back of his shirt shouldn't say "Davies", it should just say "CD". Because we all know what CD stands for, that's why.

It stands for Charlie Davies. And he plays for us now.

Posted by: Rosslyn45 | February 16, 2011 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Why is DCU passing on all these U17/U20 lotteries? Here's my take:
--the last 3 have all involved players who had ties to a particular team. I think it's of limited value to us to acquire a player just to extort a draft pick.
--more importantly, this year we have the U17 FIFA WC in Mexico (June). I would expect a number of US players from the team to then declare for MLS. And right now, we'd be a prohibitive favorite should we throw our name in the hat...b/c the expansion teams have low chances (no losses to their name--for lottery purposes its as if they won the MLS Cup) and a bunch of other teams with poor records (like Philly) can enter no other lotteries this year.

Frankly, I think we'll find there is some waiver bait (given the personnel decisions FCD and Hyndman are making just to give on example) that can easily fill a roster spot or two and maybe even make our senior roster. We'll see draft picks cut loose that we won't mind adding for our last spot or two (that we coveted but couldn't draft b/c we traded away picks). And I wouldn't be surprised if we signed another homegrown player or two this year. So....I'm not in a rush to hop into any lottery just b/c we have an empty roster spot or two.

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 16, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to DCU CD9! Excited to have some real firepower up top.

Vamos United!

Posted by: Golden_Child | February 16, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

awesome! well, i hope this works out. If it does it could make for some excitement at RFK (finally).

Posted by: wordup1 | February 16, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Why is DCU passing on all these U17/U20 lotteries? ....

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 16, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

>>>>>>>>>>>

Maybe it has something to do with United's history of signing teen "phenoms" who were supposed to set the MLS on fire. We all know the Freddy saga too well, before that there was Bobby Convey (whose best years came after he left) and Santino. Santino may still be a hard-working player but he hardly became a superstar. DC's has always done well poaching veteran players: Roy Lassiter, Christian Gomez, Jaime Moreno (second tour), Ernie Stewart, and hopefully Charlie Davis will fit that bill.

Posted by: Cossackathon | February 16, 2011 11:10 AM | Report abuse

MLS Cup 2011 here we come!!!! Viva Charlie Davies!!!!

Posted by: RedskinAddict | February 16, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@JoeW -- We've had this discussion before. If you look at the U20 team -- almost the entire pool is with a professional team, an NCAA team, or recently committed to attend a big school. Everyone in the U20 camp falls in one of those categories. I don't see any of these players suddenly making themselves available to MLS before the next Superdraft.

The U17s might produce a couple of lottery players -- maybe Jordan Allen, Andrew Oliver, Paul Arriola, Esteban and Mario Rodriguez, Nathan Smith or Alfred Koroma stand out as possibilities. None of these guys are talked about in the same way Luis Gil was last year...and look at how far down Gil is on RSL"s depth chart. They're not likely to contribute for years. I'd have taken Agorsor in a heartbeat over any of these guys right now -- not as trade bait, but as the young striker prospect that the team didn't get in the superdraft.

Posted by: fischy | February 16, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Also -- I didn't characterize teehse lotteries as U17/U20 lotteries. The only player who would fit that bill out of the four was Kory Veeder. The other three are adults, not teenagers -- certainly not teen phenoms.

Posted by: fischy | February 16, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@ fischy, I would love to get Mario Rodriguez, he's more consistent than Salgado already.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | February 16, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

We're seeing a sandbagging/misdirection pattern in BO's comments to the media. He talked defenders before the re-entry draft and took forwards. Then he talked forwards before the college draft and took defenders. He talked about Davies being rusty, and now we hear he looks terrific (according to KP). Granted, Bennie did play it a bit coy when Goff asked if he was looking at foreign forwards and BO said, who says they need to be foreign?

I like it.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 16, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

See you March 19th CD!!

Posted by: boda-united | February 16, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

@benonthehill. Way to document that. I've noticed the same pattern -- I'm sure we all have -- but your comment sums it up. Olsen seems to like playing it coy. Take everything he says with a few grains of salt.

It's good to see. I think the mgmt has lacked a good poker player.

Posted by: fischy | February 16, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@fischy. I can think of a certain poker hand when it comes to some of the FO's past moves.. ;p

Posted by: boda-united | February 16, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

My favorite CD moment (so far) was when he and Donovan combined in the final against Brasil for our 2nd goal on a fast, clinical counter attack. He didn't miss a beat, flew down the wing, and laid the ball out perfectly for Donovan who was steaming at full speed.

Posted by: WorldCup | February 16, 2011 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Hot damn! Just got home from work and this rocks! I was literally praying this morning that the news would come before CCL this afternoon so I could enter my cone of silence and stay the heck away from any and all soccer talk until tonight when I watch the rebroadcast with some neighbor pals. PLUS we'll have all kinds of hopeful talk about DCU's impending season.

I'm already out of the running for the home opener, but I will without a doubt beat our next home match vs the LA Galaxy.

Welcome to United country Charlie!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 16, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Excellent news! Excellent, excellent news. I'm psyched.

Welcome to DCU, Davies.

Posted by: elopingcamel | February 16, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

In other major it'l news, Louis Crayton's old team, Grasshoppers, looks to be having its own stadium issuezzzzzzzz....

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 16, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Olsen and Kasper/Payne dont seem to be communicating the same message:

Assessing Davies' performance in Florida, Olsen added: "He can run and play at this level. He is still rusty and he still has bad habits that we need to kick -- his reactions, some of the technical stuff -- but overall he had a good camp.

while Kasper says today:
"He simply looks terrific," United General Manager Dave Kasper said.

Of course, DC is expected to talk down his value until the deal is done and then say he is the second coming to justify the deal.

and Ben needs some communication training - he was quoted yesterday saying "we need everyone to come on the same page. Right now, that process is going on."

wow, I bet the locker room is REAL interesting this year.....

Posted by: Section107 | February 16, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

well, the coach should never say he "simply looks terrific" about anyone that he is trying to motivate. he needs to let Davies know that he still has a lot of work to do to crack the lineup every week. and he does: Wolff, Ngwenya, Najar and Pontius are all more than capable of taking away playing time if Davies isn't performing. i think Olsen is doing it exactly right - the only praise anyone needs right now is seeing their name in the lineup, and they have to earn that.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 16, 2011 1:22 PM | Report abuse

180k for Davies? Holy **** if he produces.

That also leaves tons of cap room for his strike partner or #10

Posted by: strago | February 16, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I think DCU was smart in their negotiations early by saying Davies was rusty and had a long way to go. If they said he was a stud, they would be tipping their hand to Schaux. Good move on their part.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | February 16, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Heartiest congratulations to United and, especially, to Davies.

This gives Galaxy fans hope that AEG can somehow arrange for Tottenham Hotspur to loan David Beckham after the Premier League season ends.

Posted by: JosephDHippolito | February 16, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what a great morning! After finishing a 10-mile run with one of my Engineer Companies at Schofield Barracks, I read about Charlie Davies officially signing with United! I think it's very likely that I will be the first Soldier in Hawaii to buy and proudly wear a CD9 third jersey.

Posted by: dcarmy | February 16, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Section 107:

Kasper was often referred to a used car salesmen by DCU players. "He looks simply terrific" is just the same as "Let me put you into a ...."

What do you expect him to say? He's selling us all something (a star forward) and like any good used-car salesman (oxymoronic?) he's going to talk it up, regardless of the truth.

Posted by: lgm6986 | February 16, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

CD9, welcome sir, indeed, to the Black-and-Red. Though we are in a bit of a rut and it may not show - we are the most successful team in MLS and exist not only on past glories but with the hunger that drives us for more glories yet to come.

We know you and what you can do. As such we expect nothing less than full commitment - heart, soul, passion, blood and sweat. Give us that, sir - and I am most certain you can - and we will love you back (as if we don't already). This is our tradition, our family, our house...and we welcome you, Charlie Davies, with open arms and our songs and chants. You are one of us now. CD9.

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | February 17, 2011 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Welcome, Mr. Davis. However, I will have problems with his last name. I watch enough Premiership to associate this name with the Brit pronunciation of Day-Vees. That league is littered with guys named Day-Vees. There's nobody named Day-Viss. I'll cringe everytime I hear "Goal by Day-Viss" on an MLS telecast. I'll also celebrate.

Posted by: runningcloud | February 17, 2011 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Duh!!! Apologies, all, for the season's dumbest post.

Posted by: runningcloud | February 17, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse