Posted at 1:17 PM ET, 02/15/2011

D.C. United in market for another goalkeeper

By Steve Goff

Steve Cronin is sidelined at least two months with a broken wrist. Bill Hamid is working his way back from a shoulder injury but, according to Coach Ben Olsen, probably won't be ready for the season opener. The other two goalkeepers in D.C. United training camp are not starting material.

So with a month until the first match against the Columbus Crew at RFK Stadium, United is exploring the possibility of acquiring another keeper.

"We're looking at options right now, ideally someone who can challenge for the starting spot," Olsen said. "It's something we are dealing with and trying to figure out the best solution.

"The two guys that were going to fight out for the starting spot were Bill and Steve. Both are out right now. Bill is making very good progress but probably won't be ready for the opener, so the reality is, we need to look at some options."

Cronin, acquired in December from Portland for veteran goalie Troy Perkins, was injured in training last week. Hamid is in the final stages of rehabilitating his shoulder but isn't scheduled to appear in any of the three preseason friendlies in California this month. United plans to reintroduce him into the lineup during the Carolina Challenge Cup, March 5-12 in Charleston, S.C.

With Cronin and Hamid unavailable, journeyman Chase Harrison and rookie Joe Willis are splitting goalkeeping duties.

Concerning Hamid, Olsen said that he is on target to play in South Carolina, "but it doesn't mean it's going to play out that way or we shouldn't have back-up plans. When is his shoulder ready to go full out in a game? And let's face it: It's about more than his shoulder being good. You need some action, you need to get your rhythm. I'm sure that will come very quickly, but these are some unknowns, and we need to play it safe and look at some options."

For club notes.....

*Chinese forward Yang Men has been released. "He's just not ready," Olsen said. "He's a young kid who needs a little more time to get to this level."

*United has invited a young Colombian forward for a trial in California. Details to come.

*Rookie defender Ethan White's calf injury was worse than initially thought, Olsen said, but the former Maryland Terrapin should be back to speed in California.

*First-round pick Perry Kitchen is settling in nicely in central defense. "He's just what we thought: very tuned in, very tactically aware, communicates in the right way and physically he matched up very well against forwards," Olsen said. "He still has a ways to go, but he's done fantastic so far."

*Olsen has prepared 2010 rookie of the year Andy Najar for a more challenging second season. "I've told Andy that this is going to be a tough year and he is going to have to raise his game because people know who he is now."

As for Najar's decision about committing to the Honduran or U.S. national program, Olsen said: "He hasn't told me and I don't ask. Andy will make the best decision for himself. I've just told him to be happy, do what your heart tells you."

By Steve Goff  | February 15, 2011; 1:17 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags:  Ben Olsen, Bill Hamid, D.C. United, Steve Cronin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Charlie Davies, D.C. United update
Next: D.C. United acquires Charlie Davies on a season-long loan from French club Sochaux

Comments

Eight minutes since you updated us on the Charlie Davies story.

What's wrong with you, Goff?! You're letting us down!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 15, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

No video?

Posted by: JkR- | February 15, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. He's DC United's starting goalkeeper.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 15, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Ben:
"... I've just told him to be happy, do what your heart tells you."

Andy:
"Every night in my dreams, I see you. I feel you.
That is how I know you go on.

Far across the distance, and spaces between us
You have come to show you go on.

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on..."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 15, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Obviously Onstad is not in the picture or that would have come up. I say we sign Brad Guzan on a short-term loan. That gives us a good starting GK, it doesn't relegate Hamid to the bench, we don't have to give up anything (other than money--for a month or two). Or maybe Luis Robles?

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 15, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Eight minutes since you updated us on the Charlie Davies story.

What's wrong with you, Goff?! You're letting us down!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 15, 2011 1:24 PM

and no update on the Davies story in that 8 minutes? c'mon.

ha.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 15, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Can they sign Onstad to a 2 month contract, then let him go back to being an assistant when Hamid is ready to go? Would they have to compensate the Dynamo if they did that?

Posted by: joe_hill | February 15, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Once upon a time we had a really good keeper named Nick Rimando. Really wish we had kept him. Done really well at Real Salt Lake. (Just signed a contract extension.)

Posted by: onenetnut | February 15, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Goff, the whole world--nay, the whole universe--is watching with expectation how the DC United goalkeeping situation is shaping up. And this is all you give us? No video footage of out-of-work NASL goalies? No interviews with their former youth league coaches? I had expected Soccer Insider to lead the way on this story, so, Goff, I must formally lodge a complaint.

Posted by: DaninFL | February 15, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

for all of our sakes, I hope Goff read through the comments on the other thread, otherwise all this shtick is gonna send the wrong message...

Posted by: VTUnited | February 15, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Goffster,

Any reason why Onstad isn't being considered an option? Or at least publicly?

Posted by: redskinsux | February 15, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Think of all the lost revenues on "Men" jerseys . . .

Posted by: regularfan | February 15, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: onenetnut
---------

Yes, and we had another really good keeper named Troy Perkins who rightly displaced him. The revisionist history around this place is ridiculous.

Posted by: spidergoose | February 15, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm telling ya...bring back Louis Crayton! I miss the heart-attack-inducing runs out of the box.

Posted by: nairbsod | February 15, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: onenetnut
---------

Posted by: spidergoose | February 15, 2011 2:07 PM

and we scored a portion of the $700K transfer fee to sell Troy to some Scandanavian country...20/20 is great.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 15, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Is Andrew Dykstra still available? He looked pretty good with the Fire when they were in town last year.

Posted by: jva1 | February 15, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I would not object to bringing in Crayton as a stop-gap till Bill is healthy and ready to go. I know he is still in the country.

Also I'm very sad to see Yang go, I thought he had potential and hoped he could learn from some of the vets. That 6'5" height can't be taught and he scored a couple of goals in this preseason. I thought for sure that would earn him a look at least thru California. My hunch is that if Davies wasn't in the picture than Yang would have a California plane ticket.

Posted by: BurchFan4 | February 15, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if Henry Ring's in game shape. :/

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | February 15, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Andrew Dykstra, Brian Edwards, and Brad Knighton come to mind.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | February 15, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Albert Haynesworth. Soft hands for a big man.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 15, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

yeah...big Al could just lay in front of the net and no one would be able to score

Posted by: fedssocr | February 15, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Where's Shep Messing when you need him?

Posted by: -rke- | February 15, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Ron Artest wants a trade, surely he's crazy enough to go for it, right?

Lots of empty seats in Valencia. Wonder why.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 15, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

van der Saar will be available in May.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 15, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

CD9 just tweeted: @WicksIsWhack Hey bro, get back on the plane and come HOME!!!!!

Posted by: benonthehill | February 15, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Word is that Montreal Impact is going to announce the signing of Bill Gaudette sometime next week.

DC United could do a heck of a lot worse. He's got mad CONCACAF experience and previous MLS experience... He's got 2nd division experience like Cronin.

The FO just needs to undercut the Canadian Cheese King, Uncle Joey Saputo and the Impact and tell Gaudette to bring his acrobatic saves, bald head and melodramatic wasting skills here to the nationa's capital. His family only lives a few hours away.

Problem solved!

KP & DK, when do I get my title and an office space in the "ratty RFK basement"?!?!?

Posted by: yankiboy | February 15, 2011 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I hope AC Milan doesn't field any underage players today.

Posted by: Reignking | February 15, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse

That was supposed to read "melodramatic TIME wasting skills"...

Botches and all brought to you by:

Gaudette for DC
Yankiboy, Treasurer

(the preceeding comments were NOT approved by Wild Bill Gaudette nor are they are they endorsed by Mr. Gaudette)

Posted by: yankiboy | February 15, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking: Don't worry. Berlusconi invited Blatter to some of those parties. It's all good.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 15, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I still say that if DCU is looking for a short-term solution, the most intriguing possibility would be Samir Badr. Pure speculation, but I'm guessing he was and is still on DCU's Home Grown list. l'm guessing they could get him on a loan deal, without having to expose him to the lottery or allocation.I can't be sure of that, but it seems logical. Yeah, he's still just a kid, but he's gotta be more advanced than Hamid. Also, he'd probably be thrilled with the idea.

Otherwise -- there's Dykstra, Knighton,, maybe Cepero. Not great options, but they have MLS experience and are probably better than Harrison and Willis right now.

As for Onstad -- I'm guessing there would be three issues. 1) fitness; 2) I imagine Houston has his MLS rights, and DCU would have to negotiate a trade; and 3) Union rules might be a question -- since he didn't go through the free-agent draft, I'm thinking DCU might have to pay him something close to what he got last year with Houston -- even if just pro-rated until Cronin's back. Not to mention that it would make it tough for him to coach the other goalies, when he's focusing on his own sharpness. Since they want him working with Hamid, that's a real concern.

Also -- What's this about a lot of empty seats in Valencia? I haven't seen any....

Posted by: fischy | February 15, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

As long as Payne & Kasper are calling the shots DCU will be very consistent; right at the bottom of the league. Too many bad personnel decisions over the past 10 years to cover here. Poor Ben, he is stuck in a job no other coach would take because they wouldn't be a puppet for Payne & Kasper.

Posted by: euroman | February 15, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey euroman, I hate sounding like a Payne & Kasper butt boy, but an MLS Cup in 2004 and Supporters' Shields in 2006 & 2007 were, I believe, within the past 10 years, except, perhaps, on the planet where you reside.

Posted by: griffin1108 | February 15, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

griff, you not mentioning the illustrious Open Cup in that same time frame is sure going to rub some Sounders fans the wrong way... lol.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 15, 2011 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Louis Crazyton!!!

Posted by: redskinsux | February 15, 2011 4:58 PM | Report abuse

32 days until United's first 2011 league match!

(And I'll be in Philadelphia for sister-in-laws birthday???? Ouch.)

Posted by: Curious99 | February 15, 2011 5:44 PM | Report abuse

What are the chances that Celtic would loan out Dominic Cervi?

Posted by: keepunitedindc | February 15, 2011 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Would of like to have seen Yang Men make the squad this year.

Posted by: ihillvt | February 15, 2011 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey, so, I'm working out travel details to Charleston, is anyone else planning on going? If so, which weekend? The first weekend has the Coffee Pot Cup match, and is also the Food and Wine Festival, which means rooms are a little more expensive, which hurts my budget, but I'm down for some Insider HangTime if anyone else will be there.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 15, 2011 8:16 PM | Report abuse

OT: Canada is bidding to host WWC15 (against Zimbabwe). Unless the Canadians can quickly extract and sell oil from their tremendous reserves in shale, I think we know how this will end.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 15, 2011 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 15, 2011 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Goff, where is the video and blog updates on the Richmond Kickers?! I would have thought the Post would have blanket coverage of Richmond with you down there. C'mon, man!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 15, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Goff -- I kinda doubt there's much to report on the Kickers, but I'd love a report on the Picasso exhibit, if you get a chance...

@keepuniteindc -- I'm guessing that Cervi can't just come into MLS that way. Since he skipped out on the FIre's offer a few years ago, they've lost the MLS rights, but since he's now in the USMNT player pool -- I think I"m right about that -- he'd have to go through allocation, just like Davies.

This is why I suggest Samir Badr, if DCU still retains Home Grown rights to the guy.

Posted by: fischy | February 15, 2011 10:38 PM | Report abuse

There are two Cracker Barrels in Richmond and one more on I-95 in Ashland. We won't be hearing from Steve soon.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 16, 2011 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Dykstra, Badr, and Onstad all seem like good home opener keeper options to my untrained eye. In the meantime, though, let's move on to the REAL question: when will Goff get his own shoe contract? http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/sports/15espn.html?hpw

Posted by: Pedalada | February 16, 2011 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Stallone.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 16, 2011 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Stallone.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals

----------

L O L !!

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | February 16, 2011 8:12 AM | Report abuse

"Hatch...Hatch... come back...if you leave, we can't win. You know 'dat"---Pele'

And we can all sing the Marseillaise at RFK when/if we win! (makes mental note to watch Victory after work...)

Posted by: harryfuchs | February 16, 2011 9:41 AM | Report abuse

All arrows point to Perry Kitchen being the real deal...

I still think the biggest change for the new season, the most notable improvements, are going to happen because the flow of play will come thru Dax McCarty...

Tony Sanneh interview discussing Reyna's curriculum for US youth soccer, and Bruce Arena's criticism of it...

Posted by: dwreck1971 | February 16, 2011 9:45 AM | Report abuse

PS. Oliver Kahn still hasn't hit 50. ;)

And if you want "crazy," how about Jens Lehman?

Posted by: dwreck1971 | February 16, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

The latest attempt to get tax breaks for development below the SW/SE Freeway:

Posted by: universityandpark | February 16, 2011 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Have Pat Onstadt be a assistant coach/player until the kids get well.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | February 16, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

If Sean Kelley had more starting experience in the pros, I'd say go for him -- local product, 4 year starter for GMU, currently on the roster for the Austin Aztex (or whatever they're called now after their move to Orlando). But at this point in his career, he'd be another project, not a day 1 starter for us.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | February 16, 2011 6:45 PM | Report abuse