Posted at 5:21 PM ET, 02/18/2011

D.C. United re-acquires Fred to boost midfield

By Matt Bonesteel

D.C. United announced Friday afternoon that it has re-acquired Brazilian midfielder Fred from the New England Revolution for a second-round pick in the 2013 MLS draft.

D.C. United General Manager Dave Kasper: "He will make our already deep midfield that much deeper and give us a great attacking player who can create and score goals. Fred is very motivated to return to D.C."

Fred spent three seasons with United from 2007 to 2009, playing primarily on the flanks. He contributed seven goals and eight assists in 2007, but had a combined four goals and eight assists in the two seasons before he was traded.

In January 2010, United traded him to the Philadelphia Union as part of the deal to re-acquire goalkeeper Troy Perkins. Fred, 31, played in 25 games and made 24 starts for the Union, totaling four goals and an assist. After last season, New England selected Fred in the re-entry draft.

Fred's brother, 19-year-old midfielder Junior Carreiro, also plays for United.

By Matt Bonesteel  | February 18, 2011; 5:21 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United, MLS  | Tags:  D.C. United, Fred
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fox Soccer Channel broadcasts result in minor D.C. United schedule changes
Next: American soccer players abroad

Comments

Fake.

Posted by: MamaSlambino | February 18, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

First!

anyway, this is just stupid. What, um, he is more motivated than last time?

Posted by: Section107 | February 18, 2011 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Unexpected.

Will he be a starter? I like him better than Quaranta but with Boskovic in the mix...

Posted by: timspears | February 18, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Wait, it is true. Really? I mean, really?

Posted by: MamaSlambino | February 18, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Like it. Mad skills.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 18, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

well, there goes my irrational exuberance...

Posted by: asfoolasiam | February 18, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

New England got him in the 2nd round of the re-entry draft. The *2nd* round. That means his salary at Philly (or DCU before that) is irrelevant: NE and Fred negotiated from scratch. So to evaluate this, the question is: what's his new salary?

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | February 18, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

To think I already spent all that money on my Davies jersey!

Nah, I mean, I'm cool with it. Depth from a player that has played pretty well before, and probably isn't coating too drastically much.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 18, 2011 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I see Ben behind this. He played with Fred and knows his strengths and weaknesses. I'm good with this.

Posted by: edmundburke247 | February 18, 2011 5:49 PM | Report abuse

i was not a fan of his towards the end of the last go round, but, that could have been a function of the lack of talent around him. maybe he finally gets a chance to play in the middle this time. hopefully we are getting him for a fraction of his former salary, which was north of $200K.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 18, 2011 5:51 PM | Report abuse

dude, the bench is bowing in the middle with a gluttony of mids.
I always liked Fred for his nice Christian guy appeal, and he's had a lot of hard times in the last few years. I hope the anxiety of his home life has subsided and he can play well when he gets his chances. He does have some great ball skills, his passing just sucks and he always seemed to take one touch too many before trying to get a shot off.

Maybe better players around him will make him better. Shoot Fred! Shoot!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 18, 2011 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this year when Fred scores he can lift up his jersey to reveal a shirt underneath with "666" on it.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 18, 2011 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I guess my question is, if DCU thought there was a snowball's chance we wanted Fred, why did we pass in stage 2, phase 2 (2 slots before NE grabbed him)? Because . . . hmmm . . . that way we wouldn't be out another draft pick. (I can see it now . . . in 2013 we're all here griping on draft day about the Fred trade. It's not like it hasn't happened before.)

So is this simply about the Junior injury? As if we were going to be so dependent on a completely unproven talent that we have to run out and sign a guy with moments of brilliance but who crapped out here two years ago? Surely that can't be it.

Or is somebody else about to get released? Some inspiration from Bennie that Fred and CD9 have mysterious charisma? Cover at LB? Just bizarre.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 18, 2011 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I think this was a shrewd move to flummox our opponents. While they're all pondering, "Fred? Seriously?!? What could DCU possibly be thinking," that's when we kick the ball into the net.

The glory of this maneuver is that, while you'd think it would only work the once, it in fact has the potential to work over and over again.

"I know we just gave up a goal, but: Fred? Seriously?!?"

Posted by: asfoolasiam | February 18, 2011 6:04 PM | Report abuse

2013, huh? That's a lot of time for me to keep posting about who they could be getting with that draft pick instead of Fred.

I still haven't forgiven the FO for giving away a 2nd-round pick in the most recent draft in exchange for Stephen King. That would have been the 21st pick -- they could have gotten either of UNC's midfielders, Farfan or McCarthy. I"m sure they could have gotten King for a 3rd-round pick. DItto for Fred this time around. They're giving away picks that might yield future starters in exchange for guys they plan to keep in reserve. Makes no sense to me.

If Fred shows better than he did in his last year with DC, the trade will be reasonable, but I'm not expecting that. The only way this makes sense is that they have more confidence in Fred than Tino or Junior to step in as a starter in case of injury. They're pulling out the stops to win this year. I do applaud that, but I feel like they could have found better.

I believe DCU has one open international slot -- unless Boscovic doesn't occupy an international slot as a DP. They're planning on bringing in a young Colombian striker for a look. They also have lost of allocation money and, I believe, gobs of cap room. I hope they have plans to use that cap room and an international slot to bring in a big international signing (probably in the summer window -- though that wouldn't eat up a lot of cap room).

Posted by: fischy | February 18, 2011 6:07 PM | Report abuse

My take on this is: either we're about to move someone in the midfield. Or he's being viewed as another body, depth.

For those who talk about him being an answer at CAM, if Fred is the answer, I don't want to know the question. He's gritty, he's willing to hack, he's got skill and he's a known quantity. But he's played some in the middle. Basically 3 teams (us, Philly and then NE) have decided he's not a significant contributor, not worth enough to keep. I think we probably overpaid on this.

I suspect that we think Junior has potential and that by having big brother here, that might help him.

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 18, 2011 6:07 PM | Report abuse

even though DCU is nowhere near the CCL or Superliga (which is apparently still alive for some reason), they will need a lot of depth because they will have several players missing time for National Team duty. esp. in midfield with McCarty and Boskovic likely to miss time for the Gold Cup and Euro Qualifying respectively. plus Davies may get called back to USMNT duty, so Fred could play on a wing while Najar moves up front. since guys like Simms, Morsink and King are more defensively oriented, he'll be competing with Tino for time most likely.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 18, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

What a waste

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | February 18, 2011 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Restoration Year continues . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | February 18, 2011 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Is United better, the same, or worse (on paper) than at the end of the 2010 season?

I say: better.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 18, 2011 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I say better.

Wow, I am so looking forward to this season.

Posted by: DCB23 | February 18, 2011 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Junior must need a roomate. Not a bad pickup but I guess I just dont see the need. But Depth has been an issue the past few seasons and we are definitly adding a deep end to our pool. Hey he wont hurt us.

Posted by: jjfooty | February 18, 2011 6:23 PM | Report abuse

ok, this is just bizarre. We already have plenty of "meh" midfielders. Is it just so he and his brother can stay together? It's not like they're the Sedins.

Posted by: fedssocr | February 18, 2011 6:24 PM | Report abuse

They need Troy more than Fred.

Posted by: dndlee | February 18, 2011 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Cap Timothy Chandler as immediately as possible.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 18, 2011 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Shameless pandering to the Australobraziloamerican fan base.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 18, 2011 6:37 PM | Report abuse

A 2nd round pick in 2 years? That's not a bad price in MLS draft that's usually very weak beyond the first few picks in the first round. Come on. It's not like the NFL where you cna get quality players in the 2nd & 3rd rounds. How many of United's second round picks in the past few years have panned out?

Posted by: tundey | February 18, 2011 6:38 PM | Report abuse

This accomplished what?!!? I get the depth but really don't see the point of wasting a draft pick -especially when we passed on him in the re-entry draft.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 18, 2011 6:38 PM | Report abuse

It's not April Fools, that's the only reason I'm letting this slide. Quite unbelievable.

However, not needing Fred to start, but having him as an option? Heck. Fine.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | February 18, 2011 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: benonthehill | February 18, 2011 6:01 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------

Very insightful comment -- I"d missed this when I posted my last comment. So, not only did DC probably overpay in the trade with the Revs, they could have had Fred free and clear if they'd picked him 2 months ago in the re-entry draft.

What's changed in the last 2 months? Has Fred become more reasonable in his demands? I doubt that's it.

This clearly shows that the front office really has no clue what they're doing. There is no plan -- no real effort even at strategic planning.

I"m happy to welcome Fred back to the fold, but I'd be even happier if they'd done it 2 months ago, without having to forfeit a 2nd round draft pick.

Posted by: fischy | February 18, 2011 6:44 PM | Report abuse

It's a bit of a puzzle, but I suspect the answer is that he is now a bargain. As a second-round pick in the reentry draft, NE didn't have to match his Union salary. And we probably don't have to match NE's.

Posted by: b18bolo | February 18, 2011 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Philly just traded Andrew Jacobson to Dallas for THEIR second round pick in 2013, so it seems that Fred and Jacobson are considered roughly equal in value. Can't wait to see who gets the better value. My guess is Dallas. I was sorry to see DC give Jacobson up, and he played well enough for Philly to get a strong endorsement from SAF himself.

Posted by: b18bolo | February 18, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I think playing him off the bench is a good option. I don't think either Fred or Quaranta will have a ton of starts this year, but midfield depth will allow us to make a stab at the Open Cup.

Posted by: ericruenes | February 18, 2011 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Not specifically commenting about Fred's return but most of what has happened in DCU's offseason is the team speed has increased dramatically across the board. This acquisition follows that trend. If the team still plays for possession the increase in team speed should prove interesting as there are strikers and mids that can get behind defenses.

Posted by: rtm1 | February 18, 2011 7:07 PM | Report abuse

29 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 18, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I really don't care about giving up a future second round draft pick. First, MLS has about 17 different drafts. Giving up a pick in one of them won't make much of a difference. Second, 2013 is two years away, and the team may get a half dozen first-round draft picks in trades between then and now. Third, what tundey said at 6:38 PM

It's pretty clear why they did this. Dan Borislow will buy DC United and move the team to a high school stadium in Pompano Beach, FL. Then, the millions of Brazilian expatriates in South Florida will by season tickets to wedontpay911fees.com SC.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 18, 2011 8:39 PM | Report abuse

good point eric. Will we finally be able to field a "B" team in the Open Cup for the first time in years for the preliminary rounds (not to mention reserve matches...) and then put in a full force starting XI for the semi and finale!? Sure would give us more of a chance to stay afloat throughout the season.

The more I think about it the smarter I think Ben is. Between Gold Cup call ups, Bosko's contributions to his country in the next stage of Euro Qualies, etc. I think we've got plenty of options.

I don't have XBox live, but is there a way to take my memory card over to someone's house who does and add the most up to date players to my FIFA 11 DCU team? I know I should know this, but I don't.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 18, 2011 8:49 PM | Report abuse

@I-270 -- The problem is that the front office probably shares your attitude about draft picks. It's the only way to make sense of their cavalierly trading these picks, when they don't have to. Can you expect to get a really good player in the second round? Definitely not, but every so often you score a Tim Ream. Even at that, this trade would be OK, if they hadn't already passed when they had the chance to pick him 2 months ago

Wil Chang has got to take a more serious look at how this team is being run these days.

Posted by: fischy | February 18, 2011 8:56 PM | Report abuse

If this move is about Depth, where is the same logic with Julius James? I think it's a another wasted 2nd pick. But maybe it's all about Junior and having his brother being around so he can thrive.

On a side note, apparently Chivas USA is being sponsored by Corona with their logo on the jersey. Is there no rule against alcohol advertising on jerseys, seeing how MLS is targeted more towards families and kids?

Posted by: redskinsux | February 18, 2011 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm with dimes; think about it: 30 roster spots. When injuries, outside commitments, etc. start to hit, cheap warm bodies with decent legs and a few years of MLS experience will be a good thing to have in the clip.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 18, 2011 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: benonthehill | February 18, 2011 6:01 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: fischy | February 18, 2011 6:44 PM

but then we would be out Josh Wolff, who only seems like surplus now that Charlie Davies is in town (maybe). its not fair to say the FO has no strategic plan, when you are making the assesment in hindsight. maybe they wanted Wolff and Fred, and projected it would be more likely for Fred to go unpicked in the re-entry draft. that didnt work out, but they went and got him anyway. this is a much faster team than 08/09, maybe he will work out better with more talent and speed around him.

i am by no means a Fred fan, but if I can have him off my bench, and have him mentor his brother, for a 2013 2nd round Super Draft pick (by then there could be 20 teams), i take the deal.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 18, 2011 9:26 PM | Report abuse

@VTUnited,

United could have had both Wolff and Fred. They picked Wolff in stage 2 round 1, then PASSED on the first pick in stage 2 round 2. Chivas then passed, and NE drafted Fred #3 in stage 2 round 2.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 18, 2011 9:39 PM | Report abuse

@VTUnited -- Nope. No connection. DC United took Josh Wolff in the first round of the second phase of the Re-Entry draft. Unlike the first phase, the second phase was more than one round. It continued until all teams passed. DC had the first pick in the first round, and they took Wolff. They had the first pick in the second round, too. They chose to pass. A couple of teams later it was the Revs' turn and they chose Fred -- the only player taken in the second round.

Again, I could make an argument that getting Fred now is worth a 2nd round pick in 2 years. It's hard to explain, though, why the team literally passed instead of picking Fred...and then decided to trade for him 2 months later...not to mention that they made this deal the day after dealing one of their international slots.

It's like they were talking at lunch today and reviewed a list of unsigned players..and then said let's get Fred. This is the kind of thing that should have been done more thoughtfully before the draft.

Posted by: fischy | February 18, 2011 9:40 PM | Report abuse

@benonthehill & Fischy - my bad, forgot the 2nd phase had multiple rounds.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 18, 2011 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree with whoever said that Fred is depth probably for Dax and Bosco. Fred generally plays on the left or in the middle right? And if both are gone for either injuries or international call-ups, who would you rather be in the starting line-up Fred or Morsink/King?

And who cares about draft picks? I'd be more worried about keeping the pipeline of our youth academy going by finding the best talent in the area and bringing them under the fold of DC United -- Bill Hamid, Conor Shanosky, Ethan White, Andy Najar all signed without worrying about having to draft them or compete for other teams in contract negotiations.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | February 18, 2011 10:33 PM | Report abuse

It's pure speculation to say that DCU didn't get a better deal on Fred by signing him now rather than in the re-entry draft. United had all the leverage in dealing with Fred because he didn't have much by way of options considering he wasn't trialing with anybody in the league in the previous few weeks.

From looking at the pictures United released, it looks like Fred was the one who was in "scramble" mode, coming into the office at the very end of the day so he could get to camp ASAP and start getting ready for the season. For some reason I get the feeling players usually don't come to the office to sign their contract -- I've never seen United release pictures of someone actually signing the paperwork before.

Posted by: spidergoose | February 18, 2011 10:48 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan: You should be able to download an updated squad in the next few weeks. EA Sports updates the squads at least once after the release and I think they were waiting to figure out who was playing where to do that.

Posted by: ericruenes | February 19, 2011 12:11 AM | Report abuse

BBC reports on Grant Wahl's bid to bump Blatter out of his throne: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9402310.stm

Posted by: bartapest1 | February 19, 2011 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Our midfield is far from a bunch of world beaters ..

Aside from the newcomer Dax, I see most of the same crew that was underwhelming last year .... King, Morsink, Tino, Bosko, Simms,

Fred brings a change of style from that middling group. I'm hoping he adds enough style to make opponents wonder and that he helps link up with Davies/Wolff/Pontius

Posted by: delantero | February 19, 2011 12:41 AM | Report abuse

thanks eric, now to find someone with Xbox live, or should I just get a short term subscription to upgrade the league...?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 19, 2011 7:17 AM | Report abuse

28 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 19, 2011 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16 | February 19, 2011 8:22 AM | Report abuse

DCU's next classified ad:

Will trade 2014 draft pick for player/coach and/or coach/player for innovative development of new player/coach professional soccer team. FO will consider any offer as long as said trade involves +30 years of age player/coach experienced in player/coach and/or coach/player soccer environment.

Posted by: ByBike | February 19, 2011 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I am not asking this question rhetorically, but I will happily allow that dimension to attach to it:

Has there ever been a pro sports team that reacquires so many players?

Lucio
Kamler
Troy
Gomez
Lassiter
Raul
Jaime
Peay
Santino
Richie
A. J.

And my favorite reclamation of them all: Dyachenko

Boswell on the way back?

You can view this anyway you want, but be sure to include that on some level it means that to a great extent DCU management continues to repudiate its recent past.

Posted by: lgm6986 | February 19, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

By Lucio, do you mean Luciano Emilio?

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | February 19, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

And after a word from our sponsors the Front Office returns to "New Ways to look Stupid". 4 goals and an assist in 24 games will help? Well he did practically out score united as a team last year, but he's no Messi. Cheap babysitter for lil' brother perhaps?

Posted by: NICKYNUNYA | February 19, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

So, off topic based on the sport featured, but Nike has worked their ad movie magic again. Is it cooler than "Write The Future"? Eh, probably not. Is it a better film? Eh, maybe. I give you the Robert Rodriguez directed "The Black Mamba"

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 19, 2011 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I meant to write Luci, his knickname, and I meant "L. Emilio."

Posted by: lgm6986 | February 19, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"To complete our midfield renaissance, DCU should now re-acquire Christian Gomez."

Posted by: redskinsux | February 19, 2011 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Everton defeats Chelsea 1-1 (4-3) to advance. Ashley Cole plays the role of Roberto Baggio. Early in the game, Malouda ran into jewelery problems when trying to take off his stuck wedding ring. Malouda is rare in the EPL, a player who cannot remove his wedding ring.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 19, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

So what's the deal with Barklage? He's played well in preseason, he's still quite young. And he's not on the roster. Does Fred mean he's gone?

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | February 19, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

@Steve. Will you run for the USSF presidency? What about MLS commisioner? The people demand answers.

Posted by: akin365 | February 19, 2011 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Though Boskovic could play on the wing and our mids are relatively versatile, we seem to have more guys who fit that central role. Fred gives us some depth on the flanks. Definitely couldn't hurt. Just think of how many more options exist this year.

Posted by: CRiordan1 | February 19, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I like Fred. People are missing the point that we also need extra players for those in season international friendlies against prestegious EuroPEEan teams.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | February 19, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

There is something intriguing about inquiring Fred. And no, it's not b/c I think he's a great player. Here's my thinking...

--yes, we absolutely could have had him in the dispersal draft without giving up a #2 pick. And we passed.
--there is no reason we should think HIGHER of him as a player now. He hasn't played against great competition or shown some fab results...it's just preseason against out-of-season college teams and U-20 teams.
--so this means something internal to DCU has changed. Maybe a player we were counting on being a contributor as a starter or sub (King? McCarty?) suddenly is looking unimpressive? Or maybe Simms is moving to CB? Or maybe there is a player who has asked to be moved (Boskovic)? Or maybe we've got an injury issue where suddenly we want more depth? I don't know what the reason is, only that acquiring Fred makes sense if our evaluation of our midfield talent has changed--b/c there's no reason our evaluation of Fred should have changed from January to now.

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 19, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

@ redskinsux

Having a beer sponsor is no different than advertising beer/alcohol on television during sporting events (or at any other time, for that matter).

Unless there is a league wide ban by MLS (which there apparently isn't), the only way it couldn't be allowed is if there was no alcohol advertising at all.

Posted by: hokieunited | February 19, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

@JoeW1,

Agreed. And add Tino to your speculative list of possible contributors who may not be meeting expectations. I expected a trade to move out a MF for a D or F weeks ago, which is what makes this move (combined w/ the James move) even more curious.

The only other scenario besides "Junior's going to be really good and this is important for him" that makes sense is that we knew what Fred's contract demands would be prior to the draft and a settlement was unimaginable. But then Fred saw things going nowhere w/ NE and renegotiated even lower w/ DCU. But I don't even know if the collective bargaining agreement allows that.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 19, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Missing from all of these comments so far is that Fred brings experience to an otherwise young team. He's got a level head and can mentor other young players in addition to his younger brother.

I like him for depth and experience, high motivation to be here, sparks of creativity and at a bargain price. I've got no problem with this.

Posted by: WorldCup | February 19, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

It just gets weirderer and weirdererer.

Posted by: JoeS3 | February 19, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Why is KP and DK still managing UNITED? CLEARLY tHEY DON'T know what their doing! Damn I've never seen so much disrespect towards the fans from the United FO! They do questionble and head sctraching moves and bullshit all the fans with "tradition" propaganda or with stupid quotes like "he just gets it" lol! KP WAS SUCCESSFULL IN THE OLD MLS BECAUSE HE HAD THE RIGHT TOOLS(HE'S EGO MAY SAY OTHERWISE) BUT HE CAN't in the new MLS! It obvious why UNited has fallen behind people like *cough* KP n DK are running united to the ground!

Posted by: rigs88 | February 19, 2011 1:31 PM | Report abuse

@ JowW1

"I understand the arguments about depth during callups but those existed before the dispersal draft and we still didn't take Fred. So that means at the time of that draft, we didn't think he was essential and now we find him more valuable. So I'm intrigued as to why that would be so."

I don't think United going a different way in the dispersal draft is a matter of finding Fred "valuable" or not. There are a lot of other possibilities. I have two examples: In relation to other players on the board, Fred was less valuable to DC's plans. Or secondly, maybe the FO saw Fred basically becoming available outside of the dispersal draft, which would have give United more bargaining power for a potential contract with Fred.

Posted by: davethelad | February 19, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Also, I've got to follow up that one of my scenarios is looking a little too far down the line, but at least its worth thinking about (that is that DC planned that if they wanted Fred they could trade a draft pick in order to pay him a little less acquiring him later than the dispersal draft). I think the other issue I see with what I said was that I have no clue how his salary was set. At NE? Or does DC get a chance to re-negotiate?

Posted by: davethelad | February 19, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: davethelad | February 19, 2011 1:49 PM |

it wouldnt be unlike the Revs to grab a player just to be able to trade him back to us (since we do it so often). this scenario makes sense, as if he would have passed through the 2nd round, United could have offered him whatever they wanted to pay - if he would have been taken in the 2nd, I beleive they would have had to follow some salary guidelines.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 19, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan

There's a couple levels of Xbox Live, Gold, which is the one you pay for and play games against other people and Silver, which is available to all Xbox owners and free.

You should be able to just connect your Xbox to your modem and update the squad that way, at least, that's how it worked for me.

Posted by: Josh86 | February 19, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible that in the second round they tried to negotiate with Fred, weren't able to reach a deal, then NE took him for less because once DC passed on him his value dropped, then we got a better deal on him aside from the draft pick? No apologist for the FO here, just thinking if there's any other chance...

Posted by: dsheon1 | February 19, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tip Josh! Over the years of owning the first gen Xbox to my simple arcade version now, I've never played live... I have also gotten to the point where the only games I play are FIFA. Never tried hooking the thing up to the modem before... will be trying ASAP to see what happens... :)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 19, 2011 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible that we're over thinking this? Just curious.

Posted by: Curious99 | February 19, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I feel like everyone's brushing off the obvious option, this screams of United hooking Fred and Junior up. United has been the MLS team that treats its players best for quite some time, and Fred has been trying to get back to United ever since he was picked by the Union. With all the family issues that Fred was going through, Junior had to be experiencing the same things. As a young player on a different continent than anyone he ever knew and being from such a tight knit family, Junior and Fred will both be better off close to each other. To me, New England wasn't getting much out of Fred this preseason because he was suddenly more than a few hours from his brother and not in it mentally. United could have seen Junior having issues as well, and either Fred asked NE to be traded to DC, DC asked about him, or both.

Also, everyone seems to be making a big deal about acquiring Fred after waiving James, but once again I think it's about the team being good to its players. Waiving a player gives them the freedom to sign with whoever they want, wherever they want, and whenever they want....no small thing in the face of MLS rights. James probably saw how highly Olsen thinks of Kitchen and Brasesco and decided he wants to be starting more than being at United. As long as DC is good to their players when they have personal wishes, our players will be more loyal and the club more attractive to prospective players.

Basically, while both the James and Fred moves look like head scratchers from this side of our computers, I'm not worried about it. Olsen's Army could end up being a San Jose/Houston kind of team where the players are happy and fight hard for each other for years on end, and that sounds good to me.

Posted by: TassieTiger | February 19, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible that we're over thinking this? Just curious.

Posted by: Curious99 | February 19, 2011 6:03 PM

Posted by: TassieTiger | February 19, 2011 6:15 PM | Report abuse

You know, if Ben came out of retirement to be a player/coach, we'd gain a much needed midfielder.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 19, 2011 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I would not be surprised to see DC United cut Bosco with the addition of Fred. These moves would result in DC United saving ~ $200,000 in its salary budget, assuming Fred’s salary is ~$135,000 and a savings of ~ $315,000 in player allocation funds. The later savings could be used for compensation to FC Sochaux if we sign Davies.

Posted by: lgsrtraub | February 19, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

As part of his new contract with DC United, Fred gets to choose what the team watches in the club house by keeping all the remote controls.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 19, 2011 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: benonthehill | February 19, 2011 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lgsrtraub | February 19, 2011 6:50 PM

Bosco's salary is guaranteed this year.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 19, 2011 8:22 PM | Report abuse

"United's match today rained out. Not sure whether to blame Kasper or Payne for scheduling the game during a thunderstorm."

Both, clearly.

Posted by: redskinsux | February 19, 2011 10:22 PM | Report abuse

"To me, New England wasn't getting much out of Fred this preseason because he was suddenly more than a few hours from his brother and not in it mentally."

I'm pretty sure the reason New England didn't get much -- really didn't get anything -- out of Fred was because he didn't sign with them. They traded his rights, not his contract, because he doesn't have one. I fully understand the Revs' motivation to deal a player they couldn't sign. The point benonhtehill and I were making is that there doesn't appear to be any good reason why DC is suddenly willing to trade a 2nd-round pick to get him, when they could have had him at no extra cost 2 months ago. Nothing's changed in those 2 months. Junior didn't suddenly discover he's Fred's long-lost brother.

I actually get why the team might want to bring Fred in. What I don't get is why they didn't do it 2 months ago, but did do it yesterday -- right after dealing an international slot, and agreed to give up the draft pick. It makes no sense whatever, other than to say they have no plan and are doing whatever makes sense to them that day. Like the Onstad thing -- it was obvious to all of us when they first hired him, but it took a week after Cronin's injury for them to think of it? There's no forethought.

Posted by: fischy | February 19, 2011 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the FO is making ALL of their decisions based on the fan blogs such as this one. This might not be such a bad thing ;)
We've got some great followers who always provide good insight and speculation. Case and point, Curious99. When do we not know when United's first match will be?

Posted by: redskinsux | February 20, 2011 12:12 AM | Report abuse

If Fred was valuable 2 months ago and he's still valuable now, why is it so bad to get him? At least the club wasn't too proud that it was unwilling to go for Fred after passing on him earlier this off season. Personally, I don't think a 2nd round pick is that big of a deal. I expect the best players to come in round 1 and via the academy.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | February 20, 2011 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Bosco's salary is guaranteed this year.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 19, 2011 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Thank god. I'm not sure how DC would survive without the thousands of fans he brings to the game (who in the US doesn't know Bosco?), all the great assists he contributes, his goal scoring abilities and his incredible ball control and distribution in the center of the field, not to mention he always works so hard to come back to defense and we never have to worry about his national team commitments. By far the greatest DP in MLS.

I'll bet right now Fred will be starting by the end of the season and Bosco will be riding the bench or bouncing around Europe for national team games.

Posted by: Southeasterner | February 20, 2011 3:12 AM | Report abuse

SE'er, Fred had plenty of time to settle in at United and did little. Before you condemn Bosco maybe you should give him an opportunity to show you what a full preseason, a better understanding of the league, and being played in a position that he plays for his national team?

It also seems like you have a problem with a player who is a contributer to his national team. Is that only for European players or will that animosity carry over to our Yanks, many of whom will surely be called up for Gold Cup if they are in form?

I wouldn't be surprised if Branko has a great year. Give it a chance. Fred had plenty of opportunity and I'm sure he'll be a great contributer coming off the bench to run at tired defenses. Unfortunately I doubt he's gotten over his knack for threading that perfect pass straight to his opponent's feet...

Posted by: DadRyan | February 20, 2011 10:58 AM | Report abuse

27 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 20, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Southeasterner, so you're saying someone who's skilled enough to feature regularly for their decent Euro nat'l team... is a bad thing?

Posted by: carmines757 | February 20, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

The O's had a nice outing today. No, not those O's; rather, Leyton Orient.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 20, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

If you are going to bring back anybody, it should be Jaime Moreno!

Posted by: alan19 | February 20, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"No, not those O's; rather, Leyton Orient."

There's an "O" in in the 2nd verse of "God Save The Queen."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 20, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: carmines757 | February 20, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Yes. Look at our schedule and his national team schedule. He will miss a minimum of 8 games for nats team overlap.

Please tell me how thats a good thing?

Posted by: Southeasterner | February 20, 2011 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Is his real name Fred Berry because now he is a Re-Run?

Posted by: IamAM | February 21, 2011 11:34 AM | Report abuse