Posted at 12:24 PM ET, 02/24/2011

Driver in Charlie Davies accident placed on home detention pending sentencing after observed drinking again

By Steve Goff

From Post court reporter Dana Hedgpeth's accounts of today's hearing involving the woman responsible for the 2009 car accident that severely injured soccer player Charlie Davies and killed another passenger......

Espinoza was released on her own recognizance in November after pleading guilty to charges of involuntary manslaughter and maiming while driving intoxicated. A passenger, Ashley Roberta of Phoenix, Md., was killed in the accident. Brenda Galbraith, a private investigator hired by Roberta's family to do surveillance of Espinoza after hearing that she was allegedly drinking again, followed her on Feb. 5, according to testimony given Thursday. Galbraith observed Espinoza sipping wine in an Italian restaurant, she testified, then followed her to a Baltimore nightclub where she observed her doing what appeared to be four or five "shots" with friends.

Sentencing is March 18, the day before Davies makes his D.C. United debut at RFK Stadium.

By Steve Goff  | February 24, 2011; 12:24 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United, U.S. men's national team  | Tags:  Charlie Davies, D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Chilean player initiates punch to his own face in South American under-20 soccer qualifier
Next: Weekend soccer TV listings: Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Mexico

Comments

I'm lucky that I never injured or killed anybody behind the wheel before I got on the wagon.
I never got a DWI or DUI.

What do some say "Sometimes angels protect idiots (Referring to exclusively to myself when I use the term "idiot" and not anyone else).

I consider myself lucky as "heck". Seriously, I do.

This tragedy reminds me of that fact. I'm pretty much reminded of that fact on a weekly basis.

Having said that, maybe it is time to take of the gloves with this young lady.

She is ultimately responsible for her actions (as we all are) but her friends she was hanging with when she had the drinks should have just told her (if they knew the history) "If you do that, I'm rolling because I'm not hanging around to watch you flush more lives down the toilet, including your own! You REALLY don't want that drink. Ok, You REALLY don't NEED it, even if you think you do, right about now."

Maybe they tried.
Home detention?!?!

Wow. It must be because it is cheaper to keep her there rather than incarcerated.

There is no chance, Lance that she avoids jail time, now.

Or is there?

Posted by: yankiboy | February 24, 2011 1:09 PM | Report abuse

yankiboy wtf are you talking about. there's a huge difference between her drinking again and her drinking and driving again. as long as she is not getting behind the wheel, i don't see what the big deal is.

Posted by: PVGtownAz | February 24, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Well, she's no Lindsay Lohan.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 24, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

@PVGtownAZ -- the "big deal" is that a condition of her initial release from custody was that she not consume alcohol. Yankiboy -- you are spot on in your comments.

Posted by: griffin1108 | February 24, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Rand-al-Thor? We need your help closing down this voyeuristic thread. Surely there's some inane list you could post.

From Macmillan dictionary:

voyeur, n, 2: someone who enjoys learning about the private details of other people’s lives, especially unpleasant or shocking details

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 24, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@PVGtownAZ: griffin1108 already explained "wtf I was talking about" (props to him).

Let me ask you something Bro (and I'll do it more respectfully than you asked me):

If you had killed someone as the result of drinking and getting behind the wheel (and throw in the lesser item of derailing someone budding career), and you were court orderd to NOT drink--would you think that deciding to drink--out in public, no less--was a good decision?

I'm just curious...

I don't think that it was a good decision. I would say that it was a pretty dreadful one.

That's wtf I was talking about, Playah.

I'd love to hear your answer to my question, seeing as I took the time to answer yours...

Posted by: yankiboy | February 24, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I think it more appropriate that story be described as - "the crash that killed Ashely Roberta and injured soccer star Charlie Davies"

sure, its a soccer column, but the more important thing is that someone was killed, not that some athlete, any athlete, was injured.

Posted by: Section107 | February 24, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@Section107: I feel you.

I'm not Goff but I think the sports facet of the story being listed first is because it's a sportsblog.

Posted by: yankiboy | February 24, 2011 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Inane? I resemble that remark.

Top 10 country songs of all time:

1. I Can't Stop Loving You - Ray Charles
2. Hank Williams - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
3. Patsy Cline - Crazy
4. Dolly Parton - I Will Always Love You
5. Tammy Wynette - Stand by Your Man
6. Johnny Cash - Ring Of Fire
7. Randy Travis - Forever And Ever, Amen
8. Willie Nelson - Always On My Mind
9. Garth Brooks - The Dance
10. Loretta Lynn - Coal Miner's Daughter

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 24, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

How about Don Henley songs, Rand-al?

We all know that crap is king
Give us dirty laundry

Wonder if the Post will send a photog to catch the perp walk at her sentencing.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 24, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

ugh. If I was her I'd be drinking myself to an early grave too. Not sippin' wine in an Italian restaurant, or taking shots at the club...
More like unbathed for weeks, in my dirty underwear, fist full of pills, Jack Daniels and a 12 gauge.

People have speculated on Charlie's state of mind, but this girl's can't be pretty, and the horror of her mistakes be damned I still feel for the darkness she MUST have in her heart. Lord have pity on her.
No one else does.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 24, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

@yankiboy

ok, i admit i didn't know that she was court ordered not to drink - and i agree that it was a "bad decision" on her part to drink given said order.

with that said, as long as she's not drinking and driving, i really don't care if she decides to drink or not. i don't see why others would care either, but, if they do, so be it.

Posted by: PVGtownAz | February 24, 2011 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I'd have sympathy for her emotional plight if she didn't defy a court order. She says that she "messed up." Messing up was sipping wine at dinner. Doing shots with your friends at a club is brazen defiance of the court. And some friends they are.

I see the point made by PVGtownAz, but a court order is a court order.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 24, 2011 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I just heard it on the radio that "Clearance Auto Insurance" offers auto car insurance for less than $1 a day for drivers, any one aware of this ? have anyone purchased insurance through them. I did search for them and found them online.

Posted by: gracedavis25 | February 25, 2011 3:46 AM | Report abuse

Your car model affects your premium. You won't get these numbers from your insurer; in fact, you may not be able to get them at all get all the facts from clearance auto insurance website

Posted by: gracedavis25 | February 25, 2011 4:09 AM | Report abuse

@PVGtownAz: Thanks for the response, Playah.

The court order was the key point.

You could have made your original point without the "wtf" but hey--mad props to you for admitting that you didn't realize that there a court order in play.

Maximum respect, Playah.

Posted by: yankiboy | February 25, 2011 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Maria and her crowd are an incredibly selfish and self centered bunch. How could the Espinoza's continue to be blind to that fact and allow her to continue jeopardize all that they have worked for? How could she be so naive as to think that the Roberta's wouldn't be watching to see if she was going to "mess up"?!

I hope Maria gets the help she needs and the Roberta's find peace.

Posted by: mdmom11 | February 25, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Maria and her crowd are an incredibly selfish and self centered bunch. How could the Espinoza's continue to be blind to that fact and allow her to jeopardize all that they have worked for? How could she be so naive as to think that the Roberta's wouldn't be watching to see if she was going to "mess up"?!

I hope Maria gets the help she needs and the Roberta's find peace.

Posted by: mdmom11 | February 25, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse