Posted at 9:42 PM ET, 02/17/2011

Goalkeeper Pat Onstad to come out of retirement, sign with D.C. United

By Steve Goff

Pat Onstad's retirement lasted all of two months.

Faced with an injury crisis, D.C. United plans to sign its 43-year-old goalkeepers coach to a short-term playing contract, United General Manager Dave Kasper told the Insider on Thursday night.

Steve Cronin (broken wrist) will be placed on injured reserve, requiring him to sit out at least six league matches. Bill Hamid has recovered from shoulder surgery, but as a precaution, won't be cleared to play until probably the middle of March. United's opener is March 19 against the Columbus Crew at RFK Stadium.

Onstad will start Saturday's preseason match against the Ventura County Fusion in Oxnard, Calif., Kasper said.

For much more.....

Chase Harrison and rookie Joe Willis are also in camp but not considered starting material.

Onstad, a two-time MLS goalie of the year, did not re-sign with the Houston Dynamo after last season and wasn't claimed in the re-entry drafts. He then announced his retirement and joined Ben Olsen's coaching staff. He will now serve as a player-coach.

Because teams don't have to be roster compliant until March 1, there are no procedural issues concerning a retired player returning to action, Kasper said. Free agency cut Onstad's ties to Houston and United will not have to compensate the Dynamo.

An MLS spokesman said the league has no issues with Onstad coming out of retirement and signing with DCU.

United began tossing around the idea of Onstad as a replacement the day after Cronin was injured in Florida last week. Kasper said he, Olsen, Onstad and assistant Chad Ashton were having lunch when someone joked about Onstad returning to active duty. "We were joking but we were serious, and we started to have a real conversation about it," Kasper said. "He had a chance to digest it and decided he could do it."

For more details, read this story on United's Web site.

By Steve Goff  | February 17, 2011; 9:42 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United, MLS  | Tags:  D.C. United, Pat Onstad
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend soccer TV listings: FA Cup, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Mexico
Next: Poll: National Soccer Hall of Fame voting

Comments

Yay, now there is still a pro player older than me!!!

Posted by: Voodoodiver | February 17, 2011 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I guess we need a nickname for Pat. I suggest The Colonel.

Posted by: Pedalada | February 17, 2011 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey Vodoodiver! Get off my lawn!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2011 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Memo to the coaching staff:
Us looney fans already had this one figured out when you "signed" Onstad on as a coach. (Like this wasn't always the plan to begin with....) ;)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 17, 2011 10:10 PM | Report abuse

If there is one guy that can step in do this and not embarrass himself or the team it is Onstead. Godd luck from all of us old guys still trying to run with the young guys.

Posted by: jjfooty | February 17, 2011 10:13 PM | Report abuse

All credit to active seniors, but I bet Cronin gets to his rehab appointments early and often...

Posted by: JkR- | February 17, 2011 10:18 PM | Report abuse

And if anything happens to Onstad, DC can call up a younger keeper in Alan Kelly Jr.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2011 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Class of '86, baby. I'd be out there too if it weren't for my aching back, dagnabbit.

Honestly, this is a pretty nice move for the short term. But talk about a silly season!

Posted by: -rke- | February 17, 2011 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Class of '86 here, too. I'd give it a whirl, except every joint hurts. Also, I'm only 5'6" and have a pretty anemic vertical leap. NIck Rimando I'm not.

Also, Dadryan is absolutely right. When Onstad's name first came up in reference to a coaching slot with DC, a number of us posted about Onstad being needed as a short-term sub while Hamid was getting healthy.

I have to wonder if Kasper is being disingenuous about suddenly considering the option or whether the staff is really that obtuse. I hope he can manage to get some coaching time in.

Posted by: fischy | February 17, 2011 10:41 PM | Report abuse

The following sentence sent CNN/SI copy editors into a frenzy. Gale Agbossoumonde has joined Swedish club Djurgarden on a six-month loan.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2011 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Also, a Villarreal striker is with the team in Oxnard.

No, not THAT Villarreal striker. Or that other one. 22 y.o. Sergio Villarreal from Deportivo de Cali is on trial.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 17, 2011 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone else noticed that DC United has done a pretty good job of generating news this offseason?

Since they seem to be stockpiliing allocation -- maybe some of it will go to Onstad, but they should have plenty of room and at least one international slot left to sign another DP....

Posted by: fischy | February 17, 2011 11:01 PM | Report abuse

> I guess we need a nickname for Pat.
> I suggest The Colonel.

I suggest "The Bunny"

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 17, 2011 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Ha, saw this one coming from a mile away!

Now, it gets more complicated come May or June when we have three solid GK's, are on the top of the table and Onstad doesn't want to trade the pitch for the bench and a the kit for Coaches' sweats . . . .

Oh, how I would die for that kind of dilemna

Posted by: delantero | February 18, 2011 12:25 AM | Report abuse

FISCHY,

Holy poop sandwich, you've managed to compare us to Snyderful Skins. Shame . . Shame . . . Shame . .

Posted by: delantero | February 18, 2011 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Our roster just got better. Wow.

Ben???

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | February 18, 2011 2:06 AM | Report abuse

another class of 86 here and, I'll have you know, I kept a clean sheet and stopped a PK last Tuesday. of course, I was playing against cops and they can't shoot straight. if dcu takes me, in compensation I demand only that they let me keep the jersey afterward!

Posted by: troy6 | February 18, 2011 6:19 AM | Report abuse

Another birthyear of 86 here.. oh wait. anyway my upside is I don't require a cane to walk to the penalty box and I once played keeper on my JV team. I'm a ringer

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | February 18, 2011 7:30 AM | Report abuse

OT: Soccer America reports that Eddie Pope and Carlos Llamosa are on the Hall of Fame ballot for the first time. Other people on the ballot who have passed through this area include Raul Diaz Arce, Marco Etcheverry, Roy Lassiter, Peter Nowak, and Earnie Stewart.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 18, 2011 8:24 AM | Report abuse

47. Words Get In the Way, Miami Sound Machine
48. Manic Monday, Bangles
49. Walk of Life, Dire Straits
50. Amanda, Boston
51. Two of Hearts, Stacey Q
52. Crush On You, Jets
53. If You Leave, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark (OMD)
54. Invisible Touch, Genesis
71. Typical Male, Tina Turner
72. Small Town, John Cougar Mellencamp
73. Tarzan Boy, Baltimora
74. All I Need Is A Miracle, Mike + The Mechanics
75. Sweet Freedom, Michael McDonald

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 18, 2011 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Is everyone on the blog class of 86? Me too. Glad to see that we are not too old to follow soccer (let alone play it).

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | February 18, 2011 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Do we have to differentiate between high school and college class of 86? I was college class of 86 and can't believe that OMD song is so far down Rand's list. I think I heard it 11 miliion times!

Posted by: FulhamDC | February 18, 2011 8:45 AM | Report abuse

lol. Sad part is I have seen most of these people live, some were even paired together- Level 42 was opening act for Madonna, Howard Jones/OMD, INXS/Simple Minds...Damm I miss the 80's!!!

Posted by: alan19 | February 18, 2011 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Ah, class of '85 representing. To see someone near my age able to even attempt this makes me feel even more out of shape than I already am. And I don't think DCU just thought of this, btw, this was an option all along.

Posted by: lrg123123 | February 18, 2011 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Could that have been the worst year for music in human history? What a nonstop cavalcade of awfulness.

If nothing else, Onstad's haircut makes more sense now.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 18, 2011 8:53 AM | Report abuse

@GoG: What?! How can you not love Glass Tiger?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 18, 2011 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if his jersey should be #22 (Holding Back the Years) or #74 (All I Need is a Miracle).

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 18, 2011 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Worst year for music? No way! 7 or 8 of those songs are on my iPod right now...and for the record I predate the '86ers by more than a few years.

Posted by: soccerman | February 18, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse

My memories of 86 are a little hazy but wasn't that about the time of the Ice-T (Fin Tutuola) album cover with his girl friend front and back? And I suppose I can't ever forget the video for Rock Me Amadeus in heavy rotation on MTV, back in the dark ages before Snooki and "Teen Mom."

Posted by: OWNTF | February 18, 2011 9:22 AM | Report abuse

When everyone pulls hamstrings, we'll get to see Olsen un-retire, right?

Posted by: Reignking | February 18, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Class of '07 (College). I have only heard R.O.C.K. in the USA. I have maybe heard a few other songs, but it didn't stick to remember their titles. 1986 must have been a bad year for music.

Posted by: HobbesLionheart | February 18, 2011 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I've been a reader here for a long time, seldom poster. I am class of '78. the '70's rock is still the best! I still play 2x a week. I played indoor for at least 6 years straight. I played in the military while stationed in Germany( before "the wall" fell), and in the first Gulf war against the local saudi team- we smoked them 3-0. I have been a DC United season ticket holder, until things changed. Maybe again though...soon.

Posted by: DCUmaniacsX2 | February 18, 2011 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I can assure you, I had no Class in '86....

Posted by: JkR- | February 18, 2011 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Class of '86 presente!

My wife's an older woman, '85.

In '86 I was still listening to Clapton's "new" album, Behind The Sun. I was pretty slow to download in those days.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | February 18, 2011 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Class of '83 (HS), '88 (BS), '94 (grad school). I have more class than most of you.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Rand-al-Thor. Other good songs not on the top whatever lists: Don't Get Me Wrong (Pretenders), When The Heart Rules The Mind (GTR); Keep Your Hands To Yourself (Georgia Satellites).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 18, 2011 9:54 AM | Report abuse

BTW, this striker from Cali named Vilarreal weighs a whopping 130 pounds. How long do you expect him to last?

Posted by: b18bolo | February 18, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I slightly agree with DCUmaniacsX2 in that '70s rock > '80s rock. 80's music was highly "overproduced." They paid a lot of attention to making the music sound somewhat sterile and that characterized the entire decade. Even now, I can hear a song I've never heard before and think "that's from the '80s" and my wife will confirm it. I guess that's why grunge was so popular in the 90s, because it was a backlash.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 18, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

*** Take this for what you will***

This is one of those "I have a source posts"

I play in the WISL with a guy who represents Andrew Dyksrta, former Chicago Fire starting GK, who was released this offseason. He said that he and Dykstra have been in close talks with DCU management since the day of the Cronin injury. Apparently, a deal was nearly done, and Olsen was ready to make him the openinng day starter here, but Kasper was reluctant.

My guy made it seem that it was mostly a salary cap issue -- Hamid, Willis, and Harrsison are all exept from salary cap ramifications. I will be interested to hear what the Onstad deal entails.

Not sure what i think of this... Is Onstad better than Dykstra? (probably) Is he in a better position/condition to be the starter on Day 1? (I'm skeptical) WOuld he be less expensive? (most assuredly)

Posted by: tphasbdp | February 18, 2011 10:17 AM | Report abuse

^^^ I'd love Goff to confirm some of this to give me some credibility around here =-)

Posted by: tphasbdp | February 18, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Yeah well, I was in '86 and our generation produced the autotune and T-Pain. You're all welcome.

Posted by: Josh86 | February 18, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

was born in*

Posted by: Josh86 | February 18, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

TO SOCCERMAN: 7 or 8 of those songs might be worth listening to, but the rest are garbage. There was plenty of good music out in '86, but it wasn't on the charts. Now I remember why I listened to the local college radio stations in high school over the mainstream crap.

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | February 18, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I was in middle school in '86 and can't believe I know the tune to SO many songs on that list. I think I know 68 out of the 75 listed. I lived in the DC area and must have listened to Mix 107.5 every night that year. A couple years later, I'd follow my big brother and start listening to 99.1 WHFS. Now, after studying Spanish in college (class of '98) and backpacking through South America, I occasionally listen to El Sol on 99.1.

Posted by: WorldCup | February 18, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Saturday's preseason match against the Ventura County Fusion

When is DC United going to start playing challenging pre-season games?

Posted by: DCUSince96 | February 18, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

A list like that simply makes me realize what a privilege it was to be present at the creation of underground FM radio in the late 60s.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 18, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I'll throw my number in there with a song reference only my generation will get to make it fair

"Hold up, born in 88?"
"How old is that?"
"Old enough."

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 18, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Class of '87 here, I guess I'm the baby of the group... :-)

Hope Onstad does the right thing for himself and his team once the other GKs are healthy. (What that choice is, I have no idea.)

Posted by: Juan-John1 | February 18, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Class o' 1987 here. Some of you need a healthier sense of irony! I always litter my playlists for my boat here in Annapolis with some truly heinous mainstream 80s songs... a few beers and nothing gets us late 30s/ early 40s up and going nutz like some sweet Scritti Politti or Jermaine Stewart baby! (thanks thor... because of you, friends and family will now be rockin' on the water later this spring to some awes Stacey Q courtesy of your list and a quick download...) No school like the old school.

Posted by: harryfuchs | February 18, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I remember while in Germany the Germans were/are really big into our C&W. Go figure, and of course all of the "dance" music-discotques. There were many nights that I would have started in one country and wake up ( usually in a train station, cow pasture,or bush)in another country--and not really sure how I got there...I am glad I was a G.I.

Posted by: DCUmaniacsX2 | February 18, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse