Posted at 9:36 PM ET, 02/25/2011

In MLS preseason match, D.C. United settles for a 0-0 draw with Chivas USA

By Steve Goff

In its first preseason match against an MLS opponent, D.C. United settled for a 0-0 draw with Chivas USA on Friday at Home Depot Center's training grounds in Carson, Calif.

"It was good to play against some grown men," said Coach Ben Olsen, whose squad had beaten under-20 and college teams. "It was a very good exercise to see where we're at right now. I saw some good stuff, and the things we need to work on."

United will train in Washington on Monday and Tuesday ahead of the final stage of training camp at the Carolina Challenge Cup in Charleston, S.C., March 5-12.

"We did some things well, but we need to be sharper," said forward Charlie Davies, who played the first half. "This is what preseason is for. Very promising squad."

D.C. UNITED LINEUP
GK Onstad (Willis 71st); Ds Zayner (Korb 71st), Jakovic (White 60th), Kitchen (Brasesco 46th), Woolard (Burch 71st); MFs Quaranta (Najar 71st), Simms (Morsink 71st), McCarty (Fred 75th), Boskovic (Barklage 71st); Fs Ngwenya (Pontius 46th), Davies (Wolff 46th).

CHIVAS USA LINEUP
GK Thornton (Kennedy 62th); Ds Valentin, Umana (Asprilla 46th), Conrad (Estupinan 69th), Pearce (Flores 46th); Elliott (Lahoud 46th), Trujillo (Chijindu 69th), Gordon (Mayen 57th), Mendoza (Momdaini 62nd); Fs Bowen (Padilla 45th), Moreno (Boyens 69th).

On a lighter note, Post fan blogger Jeff Maurer's take on Davies' future with United.

By Steve Goff  | February 25, 2011; 9:36 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United, MLS  | Tags:  D.C. United, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Maurice Edu scores equalizer in added time to send Rangers past Sporting Lisbon in Europa League
Next: American soccer players abroad: Edson Buddle scores for Ingolstadt in Germany

Comments

Chivas must have had a hot goalie

Posted by: knape1 | February 25, 2011 9:54 PM | Report abuse

the DCU twitter feed made it seem like the team was generating lots of chances for whatever that's worth. a couple of goals would have been nice, though.

looking at the 4th picture in the game photos, the guy behind Dax appeared to be about 50 years old. turns out it's Simon Elliott, back in MLS.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 25, 2011 10:35 PM | Report abuse

22 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 25, 2011 11:16 PM | Report abuse

That's Simon Elliott? Thanks. I was making fun of the "grown men" comment in the last thread because I thought they pulled some guy from his O-40 rec league team. He must be the only person in LA who looks older than his years.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 26, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Really, 270? You didn't know that was Elliott? I thought that was the punch line of the joke. You're funny even when you don't mean to be.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 26, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Let's keep this focused on soccer, people.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 26, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

3 weeks (21 days) until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 26, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Milos Kocic starting for TFC espn3 6pm

Posted by: DCB23 | February 26, 2011 6:04 PM | Report abuse

@benOTH: I had no idea that was Elliott. I thought it was the team doctor who suited up for the scrimmage.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 26, 2011 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was one of those top 100 classic rock drummers.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | February 26, 2011 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Milos is a good guy. Hope to see him in goal when TFC comes to RFK on 8/6.

Player-coach is the new black by the way.
Orlando City won today's matchup on a goal by player-coach Ian Fuller.

Posted by: Pedalada | February 26, 2011 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Rumors. We need rumors. Who's being linked to DCU for a summer signing? When was the last time we had stadium scuttlebutt? YOu call this a blog? I need some more Jameson....

Posted by: fischy | February 26, 2011 11:14 PM | Report abuse

While we're rambling about random stuff until we hear something good from Goff...

I reckon Curious99 should not only have weeks or days for the countdown, but the MINUTES as well!!

Posted by: redskinsux | February 27, 2011 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Flying under the radar last night: Brek Shea playing centerback at Disney last night, as he did on the GenAd trip to Spain to rave reviews, and playing it quite well last night, too. (I feel as though there's a better way to form that, oh well.)

Dallas won over Houston in PKs after 90 minutes ended up 1-1. Jesus Navas Cobo with a nice little run and laser of a far post finish from outside the box for the Dynamo.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 27, 2011 7:54 AM | Report abuse

@JFA -- Thanks for that info. Seems like he might have a future there. On the national level. he'll have competition from a good young corps of USA centerbacks, but that might be his best shot at international level achievement.

Posted by: fischy | February 27, 2011 9:14 AM | Report abuse

just back from the first match of the season. tickets were a scandalous 85 cents (apparently they were free last season), but I did get a free t-shirt from the home side. good time, especially since Petite Riviere Noire beat Savanne 2-0.

Posted by: troy6 | February 27, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Petite Riviere Noir"?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 27, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

BTW troy6, you have to declare the free T-shirt on your ethics form.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 27, 2011 10:09 AM | Report abuse

West Ham fans chanting USA USA. Only a matter of time before we play our home friendlies at Upton Park, Olympic Stadium, or Wembley.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 27, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the triple post above. Stupid WaPo software :-).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 27, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I hate March Madness.

Posted by: Curious99 | February 27, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

20 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 27, 2011 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Or approximately 493.5 hours until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 27, 2011 10:31 AM | Report abuse

@redskinsux:

That concerts to roughly 29,610 minutes.

Posted by: Curious99 | February 27, 2011 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Typo:

@redskinsux:

That con"v"erts to roughly 29,610 minutes.

Of course, I may have lost 5 minutes waiting for the Washington Post's software.

Posted by: Curious99 | February 27, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

My bad. Fransisco Navas Cobo. 19 year old academy product. If I find video, I'll post. Spectacular goal.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 27, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm watching the Carling Cup final and trying to wrap my head around the Europa Cup qualification process.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 27, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the same old DCU and the death watch continues for Payne, Kasper & Olsen.

Posted by: euroman | February 27, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: euroman

With so much to go on, you've gotta be right... How do you do an eyes rolling emoticon on this thing?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 27, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Ryan,
I think you've set up an interesting contest. Let the best man win?

@-)

Posted by: redskinsux | February 27, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

That just looks like Justin Bieber.

$-)