Posted at 9:07 AM ET, 02/14/2011

Monday kickaround: Charlie Davies, Kevin Payne, Lucien Favre, Mike Zaher, Bob Bradley

By Steve Goff

As we await D.C. United to finalize Charlie Davies's contract this week, you should know that.....

*United has concluded its Florida camp and returned to Washington for a couple of days before heading to Oxnard, Calif., for 10 days and three matches. Aside from Davies, a few roster moves seem likely.

*United President Kevin Payne was presented with the Werner Fricker Builder Award at the U.S. Soccer Federation's annual general meeting in Las Vegas. The award recognizes individuals who have "created or fostered programs that will outlast their own active involvement in the sport and that establish a lasting legacy in the history and structure of soccer in the United States."

Said USSF President Sunil Gulati: "His vision, leadership and commitment have contributed significantly to the progress we have made in the sport in this country."

*Lucien Favre, the former Hertha Berlin boss who interviewed for D.C. United's head coaching job in the offseason, has been put in charge of bottom-dwelling Bundesliga side Moenchengladbach.

*Former United defender Mike Zaher has joined ex-DCU keeper Josh Wicks in Finland.

*U.S. national team coach Bob Bradley earned $245,000 in incentive bonuses between April 2009 and March 2010, according to USSF financial statements. No specifics were provided, but presumably most of the payout stemmed from the Americans qualifying for the World Cup and finishing first in the CONCACAF final round in the fall of '09. Bradley's base salary is $500,004 and he receives another $100,000 annually in marketing guarantees. After the World Cup, the USSF extended his contract through Aug. 31, 2014.

By Steve Goff  | February 14, 2011; 9:07 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, D.C. United, Germany, U.S. men's national team, USSF  | Tags:  Bob Bradley, Charlie Davies, D.C. United, Kevin Payne
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: American soccer players abroad: Bocanegra and Chandler score, Altidore impresses
Next: U.S. soccer salaries, bonuses: Bob Bradley, Pia Sundhage, Thomas Rongen, Jozy Altidore, Brad Guzan, Dan Flynn

Comments

Haha, cheap ploy for web hits putting Charlie Davies in the headline with no actual news or update on his situation. I know it made me click immediately.

Posted by: spidergoose | February 14, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that if Davies signed, it would be its own news item. Come on now.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | February 14, 2011 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Like everyone interested in US Soccer isn't already subscribed to this RSS feed spider. Now if Ives threw Davies name up like that you might have a point, but this is THE place aside from United's website and CD's twitter that people are hanging out on the edge of their seats.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 14, 2011 9:21 AM | Report abuse

The [Werner Fricker] award recognizes individuals who have "created or fostered programs that will outlast their own active involvement..."

"Congratulations, here's your award. You're fired."

Rico Clark cost Bradley how much in additional incentives?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 14, 2011 9:27 AM | Report abuse

spidergoose: I say Goffer is entitled after last season's debacle. Call me fairweather, but I got tired of reading about humiliating defeats and voting in polls asking who was most to blame for everything. Now, I'm excited about DC's return to respectability and happy to generate pageviews for the blog.

Posted by: hungrypug | February 14, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm not upset, just bemused

Posted by: spidergoose | February 14, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

to preempt the pedants: yes, the word I was looking for was "amused"

Posted by: spidergoose | February 14, 2011 9:33 AM | Report abuse

spider:

"bemused" isn't necessarily wrong in that context. See def #3:

Posted by: Ron16 | February 14, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Does 123 mortgage do stadium deals?

Is CD9 smiley-facing or exclamation-pointing today?

Posted by: OWNTF | February 14, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Ron16 -- should've trusted my gut

Posted by: spidergoose | February 14, 2011 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Aoide, Melete, and Mneme be muses.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 14, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pedalada | February 14, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Red Bull makes kids sick. But then, watching 2010 DCU matches made adults sick.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 14, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"created or fostered programs that will outlast their own active involvement"
---------
. . . Does this means DC United has a stadium deal??

Posted by: Juan-John1 | February 14, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Lucien Favre?! Why not Cruyff? He might have done for DCU what he did for Barca! He'll he played here, he knows this town.

Posted by: lovinliberty | February 14, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@Juan-John1

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 14, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say "muse"?!

"Is your secret safe tonight?
And are we out of sight?
Or will our world come tumbling down?
Will they find our hiding place?
Is this our last embrace?
Or will the walls start caving in?..."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 14, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Davies coud make this special day even more special with a finalized contract here in DC.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 14, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

always a good day when this becomes the Soccer and Grammar Insider.

Davies' latest Twitter missive says he is "in D.C. with Nina". maybe DCU was saving the deal for today as a Valentine to all of its fans. the stadium deal will be announced on April 1.

getting excited! where's Curious99 with today's countdown?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 14, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

We talk about Davies signing a contract w/ DCU, but isn't the current deal/negotiation between DCU and Sacheux? I don't think Davies has much skin in this--his recompense is already established. The only question is who is paying how much of it. Yes?

Posted by: glfrazier | February 14, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I personally thought that Favre would have been a good coach for DC United.

Posted by: alan19 | February 14, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: benonthehill | February 14, 2011 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@OWNTF: The Davies tweet has FOUR EXCLAMATION POINTS.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 14, 2011 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Thank God his tweet didn't say going to Au Bon Pain for lunch. I would have put my fist through the computer screen.

Posted by: tcbannon | February 14, 2011 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm assuming that the few likely roster moves Goff refers to are simply decisions on the unsigned draft picks (Korb, Brettschneider, Willis) and the trialists (Yang Men, Barklage and whoever else I'm forgetting).

Barklage seems to be showing well. Has willis played at all in the friendlies? Hard to tell anything definitive about the rest from tweets and blog comments.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 14, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@Ben - -someone reported that Barklage had signed a deal...so, yeah, he was showing well.

I believe the only other other trialist (besides those you mentioned_ is Davies...unless the team brings in someone else.

Posted by: fischy | February 14, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Yes I think Davies really isn't involved in the contract situation but just using his name is easier when describing the situation.

I do hope Barkalage makes the team and I fully expect him to. When healthy he is a player and I wouldn't be shocked to see him have a big year. Speaking of which, is there another youth club that has produced the talent for US soccer at the same level as Scott Gallagher FC in STL.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 14, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I can just picture it now:

Matt Dillion: What the hell is Lucien Favre doing here?
Favre: I'm in town to coach Moenchengladbach, you dumb ass.

Or

Stiller: What about Lucien Fav... ruh?

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 14, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: benonthehill | February 14, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Yes. FIU didn't bring a keeper (I have no idea why not). So Willis played a half as DCU's keeper and a half as FIU's keeper.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | February 14, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"DC's return to respectability" ... don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Posted by: Matte | February 14, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

If I had the time and the energy, I would draft a Valentines Day gift list to insiders.

The fact is, I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

But here's a gift for OWNTF: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 14, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Josh and Mike have a team. I liked both.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | February 14, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@Rand-al-Thor: Just buy us some flowers from Giant on the way home.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 14, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@fischy,

Barklage isn't showing up on DCU's online roster yet, but I'll take your word for it and assume it's an oversight.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 14, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Former United defender Mike Zaher has not just joined a team in Finland, he has joined a team on Åland, an autonomous, Swedish-speaking archipelago between Finland and Sweden. Sweden Ceded to Russia by Sweden under the Treaty of Fredrikshamn in September 1809, the population wanted to rejoin Sweden after the First World War, but the League of Nations awarded Åland to Finland in 1919, albeit with significant autonomy. It is still very Swedish today. IFK Mariehamn plays in a lovely stadium in the capital city (OK, town) and is in its third year in the top Finish league. Surely, Mike Zaher, a political science major at UCLA, is incredibly psyched to play on an autonomous territory!

Posted by: big_spaniel | February 14, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

what's the deal with the cody arnoux draft? It seems that DC united didn't even enter the draft. any reason why not (other than he's hurt)? seems like we need all the help we can get up top.

Posted by: wp_hobo | February 15, 2011 1:50 AM | Report abuse

speaking to the crickets since no one is reading this thread anymore, but I spent time in Mariehamn, Aland in grad school. While culturally Swedish, the island is part of Finland although, as spaniel points out, largely autonomous. The citizenry are represented in parliament and have all national rights and obligations of other Finns. Can't say I remember the soccer stadium, though. Perhaps it was built after I was there.

Posted by: troy6 | February 15, 2011 2:34 AM | Report abuse

Some of us are still reading. Travelogues are always welcome.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 15, 2011 10:09 AM | Report abuse