Posted at 11:18 AM ET, 02/ 9/2011

MLS is close to deal with former Everton prospect Cody Arnoux

By Steve Goff

MLS is in negotiations with forward Cody Arnoux, the former Wake Forest star who played for Everton's reserves last year before joining Vancouver late last season.

"Discussions with MLS are underway," said agent Patrick McCabe, of Santio Sports and Entertainment. "I am hopeful that we can reach an agreement soon so that Cody can join a team."

For more details.....

Despite Arnoux's affiliation with the Whitecaps in the second-tier circuit last year, MLS did not approve his 2011 contract with the new expansion club because he was someone that the league aggressively tried to sign out of college two years ago. In the league's view, since he would've been available in the draft or through a weighted lottery in the past, all teams should have a crack at him.

Consequently, if a deal is reached with MLS, Arnoux, 22, would be allocated in a lottery. D.C. United has the best odds of winning in the procedure after opting out of a similar process two weeks ago for University of California goalkeeper David Bingham, who ended up with the San Jose Earthquakes.

Arnoux, who played youth soccer in Wilmington, N.C., scored 32 goals in his sophomore/junior seasons at Wake Forest before turning pro.

By Steve Goff  | February 9, 2011; 11:18 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer, D.C. United, England, MLS  | Tags:  Cody Arnoux, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United goalkeeper Steve Cronin suffers wrist injury at training camp
Next: Video: Wesley Sneijder's brilliant goal for Netherlands in friendly against Austria

Comments

Since the team with the best odds hasn't own yet, I won't go crazy over the possibility, but he should be a pretty good addition. He might not have been ready to make it in England, but we have lower standards here. He'd have the chance to get some playing time and grow into the role, and take over for Wolff or Davies next year.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

How nuts would it be, though? Not holding my breath, but Olsen is one hell of a lucky charm.

Posted by: UnitedDemon1 | February 9, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I meant "hasn't won yet" in one of these lotteries.

This is what I was assuming was in the pipeline when DC passed on Bingham, but I"d sure be interested to know if anyone else might possibly be in that pipeline. Maybe Soony Saad is shooting a little high in Europe, trialing with Champions League level sides? I think MLS should definitely keep an in touch with the lad's representatives.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I saw him with play Vancouver. I realize that he wasn't with them very long but he didn't really rock my world.

If he came to DC he might end up being really sick so hey--if we can get him then great...

Posted by: yankiboy | February 9, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me he should have stayed with Vancouver - kind of convoluted thinking to make him eligible to the rest of the league. But I suppose since all contracts are signed with the league, they will do what they want.

Posted by: nairbsod | February 9, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

@yankiboy -- As I've posted in the earlier thread, even with Arnoux's availability, I think DCU made a mistake in passing on Bingham. That's spilled milk, now. Arnoux was a probably a top 10 calibre draft pick. A year of training in England probably hasn't hurt him, but he's probably not much more advance than a college senior. I wouldn't expect him to displace veterans like Davies, Ngwenya, Wolff or Pontius. It could be he's been overrated all along, but he'd probably be the #1 prospect for the 5th forward slot. If he's any good, he could be the #2 or #3 next year.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I'll always take relatively young talent. With MLS and it's crazy process, he will probably end up right back with the Whitecaps.

I don't know much about this kid, what position does he play? I remember that Wake Forest team not really inpressing me in terms of techniqual quality.

And Saad is a player MLS should pursue.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 9, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

@fischy: if he cracks the first team then theoritically, he should have outplayed some very good guys.

If not, then he should light it up for the reserves.

@grubbsbl: Dude is a striker. You are right--he will probably just get dealt back to Vancouver when all is said and done.

Then Soehn will ruin his confidence after having thrown him under the bus...

Posted by: yankiboy | February 9, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Talk about luck.... If Charlie works out and Arnoux comes on board, things may begin to turn around on the O side of things.

Posted by: lovinliberty | February 9, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@nairbsod I believe MLS is worried that it will set a precedent for teams about to join the league stokepiling talent a year before they are in MLS and subject to it's rules. You have to imagine Cody signed with the Whitecaps because he wanted to play in MLS. If he signed directly with the league from Everton he would have been subject to this draft. Thus, he has to go through it now. The Whitecaps tried to test a loophole and MLS called them out. I'm cool with it.

@Fischy, I still don't see what we would have got out Bingham. Is there really a market for an untested goalie?

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 9, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

You would have thought Arnoux's agent would have been "negotiating" with the league long before this so he could have gotten into camp on time to try to earn a spot with a team. From what I've heard, he's no lock to make anybody's team and as it is, he's at a severe disadvantage.

Posted by: napoleon2blake | February 9, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Lichaj to Leeds for a month.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 9, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Arnoux that he hasn't shown a lot, but I think he's capable of at least being a decent squad player who's probably cheap.

Posted by: Jooseppi | February 9, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 9, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

to sate all the literary soccer mavens out there, I have just found the best soccer website in the world:

runofplay.com.

that is all.

Posted by: SublimeSoccer | February 9, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Wanted to keep everyone abreast of this:

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor

Not surprised, but that security guard at the Hirshorn sound like a total boob.

Posted by: DadRyan | February 9, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

If he does get allocated to DCU, it smells like the end for Yang Men's time here. And thats one player I was looking forward to cheering for in mandarin.. Actually it's the only player I was looking forward to cheering for in mandarin

Posted by: TenoriosLaptop | February 9, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 9, 2011 12:56 PM

----------------------------------------------------------

How about possibly a decent starting goalie? Or, at least a good backup? With Hamid recovering from off-season shoulder surgery, it was always a risk to have only one MLS-ready goalie (that's if you presume that Cronin really is up to starting in MLS).

Now, with Cronin out -- I'm guessing we'll hear it's 8-12 weeks -- we're going with a 20 yr. old who may be an injury risk himself, and who won't get much first-team practice in before the season starts. And our backup will be chosen from among two guys who have never played pro ball and weren't even highly prized prospects.

I doubt that anyone from DCU is reading this -- but I'll float an idea for a replacement:

With the caveat that MLS' rules are pretty arcane, perhaps DCU can approach FC Porto about acquiring Samir Badr on loan until the summer transfer window? (I'm pretty sure it would have to be that long of a deal). Badr would be an upgrade over Hamid -- at least, based on Porto's judgment -- and I'm guessing he's healthier.

I'm sure Badr would love to play in front of family and friends, and he could use game experience. Also, he'd be closer to the U20 training camp. It would be a win-win for both clubs and the player.

I guess the question would be whether DCU would be allowed to acquire Badr that way. Since the team talked with him about signing a deal before he went to Europe, he must already have been added to what the league calls the Home Grown Player List. The question is whether he maintains that status and whether that would apply to a loan deal from a Euro club. If I'm KP or DK, I gotta think it's worth a phone call to the league office to discuss it.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

@Tenorioslaptop -- I wouldn't count out Yang Men. He's got one of DCU's 2 goals against FIU. 2 goals in 2 scrimmages.

The official roster right now is 23 guys signed. Add Charlie Davies, Chris Korb, Brandon Barklage, one of the backup goalies and, for argument's sake, Arnoux. That still leaves room for 2 more signings. Yang could still be competing with Brettschneider for a slot. No reason why the team can't carry six forwards -- maybe even 7 -- with a reserve league.

As I write this -- Barklage scores.

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2011 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that Davies isn't going to play today. Here's hoping they've seen enough to want to keep him -- that it isn't a fitness problem

Posted by: fischy | February 9, 2011 5:04 PM | Report abuse

38 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 9, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Arnoux goes to RSL. DCU did not participate in this lottery.

Posted by: JoeW1 | February 12, 2011 6:27 PM | Report abuse