Posted at 6:00 AM ET, 02/23/2011

Wednesday kickaround: CONCACAF Champions League, U.S. friendlies, Charlie Davies, U-17 World Cup, Americans abroad, TV listings

By Steve Goff

*The first competitive match involving MLS clubs of 2011 was a dud: Columbus 0, Real Salt Lake 0 in the first leg of a CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal in wintry Ohio. The rebuilt Crew had a man advantage for 37-plus minutes after Tony Beltran's second yellow. Columbus' Emilio Renteria and RSL's Nat Borchers were tossed in the 72nd.

*The latest ticket sales count for the U.S. national team friendlies next month: 38,000 for the Argentina match at the Meadowlands on March 26 and 11,000 for Paraguay's visit to Nashville three days later.

*The United States qualified for the U-17 World Cup for the 14th consecutive time, defeating El Salvador, 3-2, in extra time in a card-filled CONCACAF quarterfinal in Jamaica. The World Cup is this summer in Mexico.

*More information than you need to know about Charlie Davies' head scars.

*Americans abroad

Wednesday
GK Diego Restrepo and America de Cali vs. Depor FC in Copa Postobon

For TV listings.....

*Soccer on TV:
Europa League, Sevilla-Porto noon GolTV
CONCACAF U-17s, Canada-T&T noon ESPN Deportes
Champions League, Inter Milan-Bayern Munich 2:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Plus, foxsoccer.tv (tape at 5 on Fox Soccer Channel)

Champions League, Marseille-Manchester United 2:30 p.m. FSC, Fox Deportes (tape at 8 on FSC)

CONCACAF U-17s, Jamaica-Honduras 3 p.m. ESPN Deportes
England, Arsenal-Stoke 3 p.m. foxsoccer.tv (tape at 5 and 8 on FSP)
Copa Libertadores, Internacional-Jaguares 7:30 p.m. Fox Deportes
CONCACAF Champions League, Toluca-Monterrey 8 p.m. Galavision

By Steve Goff  | February 23, 2011; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, CONCACAF, CONCACAF Champions League, D.C. United, MLS, TV, U.S. men's national team, USSF  | Tags:  Americans abroad, CONCACAF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United defeats UC Santa Barbara, 1-0
Next: MLS sets new playoff format

Comments

Did you mean "More information that you want to know" or "More information than you want to know..."? Big difference...

So, with Mexico as host, CONCACAF will have 5 teams in the finals? Good stage for regional scouts.

Posted by: fischy | February 23, 2011 7:45 AM | Report abuse

So -- I'm just starting my sentences with "so", so I can sound smarter -- this isn't exactly "sporting", but I may have just discovered a way to get free tickets to at least one DC United home game.

Sporting KC has developed a free membership -- one benefit is complimentary tickets to KC road matches. Not sure about getting the tickets, though -- but once you're in RFK, you can sit anywhere you want.....

Posted by: fischy | February 23, 2011 7:55 AM | Report abuse

I thought the Columbus-RSL ConcaChampions game started out pretty well with both teams playing uptempo (cold weather encourages running!) and Mendoza almost scoring with that volley in the first half minute. Unfortunately, my first impression faded by about the 20th minute as both teams denied each other space and created little offense.

So I kept switching over to other channels to catch up on world news. However, I didn't see any more highlights from Columbus on those networks.

Al Jazeera hates soccer!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 23, 2011 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Al Jazeera hates soccer!

---

Actually, they have the rights to show the World Qup in all of the Middle East for 2018 and 2022 so....

Posted by: IamAM | February 23, 2011 10:23 AM | Report abuse

If you haven't gotten your daily dose of MLS's Kick Off -- there's a link to a good local report on the UCSB-DCU match.

Posted by: fischy | February 23, 2011 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Pontius got to play against his younger brother, Tim Pontius, a junior defender for the Gauchos
================

That's cool.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 23, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"The first competitive match involving MLS clubs of 2011 was a dud:"

Not only that, but it was a shining example of the sheer folly of MLS going to the international calendar. You'll get 200 die-hards in the stands for these deep freeze matches and that is about it.

Posted by: Ron16 | February 23, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Garber pretty much said that winter soccer off the table because FIFA selected Qatar in 2022. Now, if our outdoor stadiums could be heated in a carbon-neutral manner...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 23, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

So, how do I keep up with the Arsenal-Stoke City match (come on Potters) while remaining uninformed on the United score so I can watch it "live" tonight?

Ideas, anyone?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 23, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"The first competitive match involving MLS clubs of 2011 was a dud:"

...and no HD either...why? I couldn't get past the SD presentation; it was unwatchable.

Posted by: edr04 | February 23, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"The first competitive match involving MLS clubs of 2011 was a dud:"

Posted by: edr04 | February 23, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Blackandreddevil.... Your best bet, if you don't want to watch the arsenal game but keep up to date while avoiding the United score is to follow the Arsenal game on the Telegraphs live commentary. They just do single games and won't report the scores from other games. There commentary is usually a tad snarky too.

It's like Telegraph.co.uk/sport/football (just google telegraph.uk)

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 23, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Blackandred...
grubbsbl is right. You can also go to fourfourtwo.com and even ESPN's soccernet for running commentary on Stoke as well as the Champions leage game, without any fear of someone bringing up an MLS pre season match.

Posted by: FulhamDC | February 23, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say "head scars"?!

Top 100 "Hair Bands" of all time:
White Lion
Whitesnake
Winger
Y&T
Yngwie Malmsteen

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 23, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Rand-al-Thor, did you already have that list pre-made or did you type that all out?

FulhamDC... I assumed BlackandRedDevil was talking about the United match at 245 today on FSC... your probably were being sarcastic, right?

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 23, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

edr04, it could be that train wrecks look just as bad on HD as SD.

Posted by: Ron16 | February 23, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@ grubbsbl: cntrl C, cntrl V.

I have far too many songs by some of those groups on my Walkm, uh, er, Ipod.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 23, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

A bunch of those bands are not bands, but individuals. The Doobie Brothers was a great hair band, until their reunion when they looked all respectable and stuff. Peter Frampton should be emeritus on that list. The Allman Brothers should be on the list, as should The Go Gos, The Bangles, and the Mary Jane Girls. Not to be sexist, but how could women be so under-represented on a list about hair?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 23, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I most of the second half of the Crew-RSL CCL match. Columbus played like they didn't want to win. That side could really use GBS right now. I'm sure RSL was very happy with the draw. You wouldn't know from looking at Jason Kreis though.

Posted by: Brokenbil | February 23, 2011 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Paul Simon
James Taylor
Michael Stipes

Posted by: OWNTF | February 23, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Any hair list without ABBA is incomplete. If not for quantity of hair, for tracking the awful hairstyles of the 70's and 80's (some of which I had).

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 23, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, grubbsbl. Great idea. I usually follow on BBC but they cover all matches simultaneously and I don't have the discipline to keep my eyes from reading the Man United info. If you love snark, the Guardian MBM is very funny but often at the expense of telling you what is actually going on in the game.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 23, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Ha! I thought of them too BaRRD.

List should also include Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars. He took it all too far, but boy could he play guitar.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 23, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Or Cher? It even rhymes.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 23, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@grubbsbl -
No, I'm just confused. Got the DC version on my mind, the Manchester version, I try never to think about.

Posted by: FulhamDC | February 23, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

The RSL-Col game was a very poor game played in horrible conditions. This game should be used to show team in the league what fans don't want to see. Yuk.

Posted by: dcufan531 | February 23, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Does facial hair count, Rand-al Thor?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 23, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

For you youngsters, that's Angela's father on Bones.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | February 23, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The RSL-Col game was a very poor game played in horrible conditions
=============

It's winter, there is no drumming
Three red in Ohio

Posted by: OWNTF | February 23, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The opposing list:
Haircut 100

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 23, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Young people watch "Bones?" As a fairly young person, I had no idea.

Also, as a fairly young person, I'm here with today's Tweets That Mean Nothing:

Omar Salgado and Andy Najar seem to be striking up quite the friendship. Lots of messages back and forth, all in Spanish.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 23, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Memories of 80's come rushing back, yikes! In college in LA, dating a girl who was a stylist for unknown (mostly metal) rock groups...She took me to a club where some of her clients were playing but not only was my hair all wrong (more Bruce Jenner than Van Halen), I was just a poor college student with no threads to even vaguely blend in. The girl was cute, though...Thanks Rand and I-270 for combining to bring on that very odd trip down memory lane, only on SI.

Posted by: assocfoot | February 23, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Imagine my surprise to find the girl who plays Parker on "Leverage" (Beth Riesgraf) doing a guest-star turn on "NCIS" last night. More than made up for the snoozefest that was Massive-RSL (and yes, I did indeed fall asleep during the second half).

Posted by: SportzNut21 | February 23, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Is this Beth woman related to Matt Reis? John Arne Riise? Anyway, I should have watched NCIS. I've fallen behind on this and White Collar, and Burn Notice (when they added the 2nd burned spy, I figured the writers were out of ideas), and the one with Piper Paribo and the desi from Heroes. Oh well, I'll have other CCL matches to catch up.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 23, 2011 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Is this Beth woman related to Matt Reis? John Arne Riise?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 23, 2011 5:10 PM
_________________________________________

How can you forget Hege Riise?

And speaking of hair, the other day I was at the City Diner in Baileys Crossroads, a footy-friendly place, to judge from the decor. In the back, on the way to the restrooms, there is a picture of the USMNT from sometime in the 70s, or perhaps the early 80s. I couldn't recognize a single one of them.

Posted by: universityandpark | February 23, 2011 11:37 PM | Report abuse