Posted at 3:41 PM ET, 02/ 8/2011

Wednesday's international friendlies: Argentina-Portugal, Spain-Colombia, Germany-Italy, Denmark-England

By Steve Goff

While the United States-Egypt friendly will not be played because of unrest in Cairo, many matches are on the slate during the FIFA international fixture date Wednesday:

(All times are Eastern U.S.)

Greece-Canada in Larissa, 10 a.m. (foxsoccer.tv)
Armenia-Georgia in Limassol, 10 a.m.
Iran-Russia in Abu Dhabi, 11 a.m.
Latvia-Bolivia in Antalya, Turkey, 11 a.m.
Macedonia-Cameroon in Skopje, 11:30 a.m. (foxsoccer.tv)
Croatia-Czech Republic in Pula, 11:45 a.m. (foxsoccer.tv)
Azerbaijan-Hungary in Dubai, noon (foxsoccer.tv)
Israel-Serbia in Tel Aviv, 1 p.m.
Turkey-South Korea in Trabzon, 1 (foxsoccer.tv)
South Africa-Burkina Faso in Rustenburg, 1:30
Albania-Slovenia in Tirana, 2
Estonia-Bulgaria in Antalya, Turkey, 2
Denmark-England in Copenhagen, 2:15 (ESPN3.com)
Luxembourg-Slovakia in Luxembourg, 2:15 (foxsoccer.tv)
Belgium-Finland in Ghent, 2:30 (foxsoccer.tv)
Malta-Switzerland in Ta'Qali, 2:30
Netherlands-Austria in Eindhoven, 2:30 (ESPN3.com live; ESPN Deportes at 10 a.m. Thu.)

For more.....

Poland-Norway in Faro, Portugal, 2:30 (foxsoccer.tv)
Germany-Italy in Dortmund, 2:45 (ESPN3.com live; ESPN Deportes at 3 a.m. Thu.)

Northern Ireland-Scotland in Dublin, 2:45 (ESPN3.com)
Argentina-Portugal in Geneva, 3 (GolTV live; GolTV tape at 8)
France-Brazil in Saint-Denis, 3 (ESPN2, ESPN3.com, TV5Monde)
Spain-Colombia in Madrid, 3:30 (ESPN3.com live; ESPN Deportes at 5)
Venezuela-Costa Rica in Puerto La Cruz, 7:30
Mexico-Bosnia in Atlanta, 8 (Telefutura, univisionfutbol.com)
Honduras-Ecuador in La Ceiba, 8:30
El Salvador-Haiti in San Salvador

By Steve Goff  | February 8, 2011; 3:41 PM ET
Categories:  Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, England, France, Germany, Greece, Honduras, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, Switzerland, TV, Turkey  | Tags:  Argentina, England, Germany, Italy, Spain, friendlies
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Charlie Davies and D.C. United: What's next?
Next: D.C. United goalkeeper Steve Cronin suffers wrist injury at training camp

Comments

I'll DVR France-Brazil, be at Mexico-Bosnia

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 8, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

A home date with the US team is becoming a harbinger of regime change . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | February 8, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

What am I supposed to do with the US-Egypt tickets I bought on stubhub.eg?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 8, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: benonthehill | February 8, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

"A home date with the US team is becoming a harbinger of regime change . . ."

Can we get a 2-for-1 if we play Cuba at Gitmo?

Rand-el-Thor asked me to post that.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 8, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Kind of surprised that Montenegro isn't using this date to bring their team together. They're looking surprisingly good for Euro 2012 qualification, leading their group and recently drew England away.

After glancing at their schedule, it looks like we'll be missing Boskovic at the end of March for friendlies they have @ Japan and @ South Korea.

Yes, with their captain playing for United, I'm now a closet Montenegro supporter.

Posted by: DCUPedro | February 8, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I'll DVR France-Brazil, be at Mexico-Bosnia

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish

Congrats on actually finding out about it in time.

Posted by: Reignking | February 8, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I'll DVR France-Brazil, be at Mexico-Bosnia
Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish
Congrats on actually finding out about it in time.
Posted by: Reignking | February 8, 2011 4:27 PM

I just heard about this game on the radio 3 hours ago. Normally my wife comes home from her job in downtown Atlanta and tells me she saw a bunch of Mexicans wearing a lot of green and asks me if something was going on downtown and I learn about the game the day of.

Posted by: csd1 | February 8, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Antalya's a nice town when it's winter in Europe, but any particular reason four teams are playing there, none of which is Turkey?"

Posted by: benonthehill

@ benOTH - Yes, because Turkey is not Latvia or Estonia. Oh yeah, plus it's 65° & sunny in Antalya while it's 30° and cloudy in Riga!

Posted by: soccerman | February 8, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Four games are at neutral sites. Go figure.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 8, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to watch Egyptian State Television in the hope that they can find an old Egypt-USA matchup and pretend that it's actually live action.

One where players on both sides give their utmost in an effort to demonstrate their love and support for the wise and benevolent guidance of Egypt's dear leader.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 8, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Four games are at neutral sites. Go figure.

Posted by: I-270Exit1

But not Switzerland.

Posted by: Reignking | February 8, 2011 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Davies vs The World, 8:00 PM (ABC and Univision)

Posted by: WorldCup | February 8, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, thanks for the response on the last board.

I got a big day ahead of me tomorrow so I might have to miss out.

I just can't wait for Saturday morning when I am forced to watch Man City cower in their own half for 90 minutes in hope of a 0, 0 draw. Mancini will then go running to the press to convince everyone his team's boring play proves they are equal to United.

Posted by: grubbsbl | February 8, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I've got a buddy at work who immigrated when he was 11, so he told me 6 weeks ago. Gonna be fun. Chicharito and Edin Dzeko.

Think I'll wear my Switzerland t-shirt.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 8, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Four games are at neutral sites. Go figure.

I count seven.

Posted by: BooThisMan | February 8, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

You may be right. I've never heard of half those towns (I thought Ta'Qali was a drink). But we both are overcounting. No American city is a neutral site for El Tri.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 8, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

"A home date with the US team is becoming a harbinger of regime change . . ."

Can we get a 2-for-1 if we play Cuba at Gitmo?

Rand-el-Thor asked me to post that.

Posted by: benonthehill | February 8, 2011 4:23 PM
==============================

Macedonia-Cameroon in Skopje, 11:30 a.m. (foxsoccer.tv)

You gotta be nuts to miss this one.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 8, 2011 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pedalada | February 8, 2011 9:06 PM | Report abuse

If I remember correctly, Atlanta took in a fair amount of Bosnian refugees in the 90s, so I'm expected a few very vocal supporters of someone other than El Tri.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | February 8, 2011 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Funny that Fox Soccer Channel has no International Friendlies on their channel, just online. Pretty pathetic if you aim/claim to be the top soccer provider in US.

Posted by: nico78 | February 8, 2011 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nico78 | February 8, 2011 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Crap! I just bought a Tevez replica snood. What am I going to do with it now?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 8, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

39 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | February 8, 2011 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Crap! I just bought a Tevez replica snood. What am I going to do with it now?

Posted by: I-270Exit1

Keep your puns warm?

Posted by: DadRyan | February 8, 2011 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Dad -- your best line ever.

Posted by: fischy | February 8, 2011 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Didn't know what a snood was til I read the article.

Of course the EPL should ban them, their winters are long and damp and the snoods only cover the neck. I wanna see Tevez and all my favorite EPL stars in full body-length Snuggies.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 8, 2011 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Now that there has been a change in leadership with the Puerto Rican Federation, I will be curious to see if Puerto Rico can get to the point where some friendlies can actually be booked.

The former president has promised to try for several MNT matches a year. The current president has some other priorities.

If Haiti (bless them) can still manage to play friendlies after all that has happened to them then there is no reason for Puerto Rico to continue to not make the most of international friendly dates.

Hopefully after the dust settles, there will be some progress on that front. Playing them while most of the pro based players and college students are in the off season is the perfect time to make it happen.

I really think that more MNT matches are going to be crucial in finally making it to a Gold Cup. Players need to "gel" with each other. Coaching staffs need to more looks at guys in the player pool.

Becoming a PR supporter can be really, really frustrating when these dates roll around and los boricuas don't have a match.

Posted by: yankiboy | February 9, 2011 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Another example of an American tycoon horning in on English football:

Posted by: universityandpark | February 9, 2011 8:32 AM | Report abuse

So, did Charlie blow his nose yesterday? Pass gas? Did his leg fall off when he kicked a ball? Enquiring minds want to know!

Posted by: glfrazier | February 9, 2011 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Seriously?

She replied, “I’ll buy one for you.” Lord of Bedlington happened to be available. These titles can be bought for as little as about $325, and his was on the low end, Mr. Rich said. For the billionaire who has everything, it amounted to a Christmas stocking stuffer.

Posted by: Reignking | February 9, 2011 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Wow, the scenic beauty of Qatar never ends, should be a great WC 2022 ..

Posted by: delantero | February 9, 2011 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Dejan starting vs. Greece

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 9, 2011 10:06 AM | Report abuse

For a minute there I had a feeling of "Dejan who?"

Posted by: OWNTF | February 9, 2011 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Some guy named Ives offers his opinion on CD.

Posted by: Reignking | February 9, 2011 10:50 AM | Report abuse

For a minute there I had a feeling of "Dejan who?"

Posted by: OWNTF | February 9, 2011 10:36 AM

feel like I've heard that pun before.

Posted by: VTUnited | February 9, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

It's Dejan who all over again.

Posted by: OWNTF | February 9, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I think now would be an appropriate time to have the same post appear multiple times.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 9, 2011 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Is it fair to the Mexican supporters that SUM schedules their "home" games in another country?

Posted by: wanker82 | February 9, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wanker82

Don't ask me, perhaps Sarah Palin or someone in the Tea Party could enlighten you... ;)

Posted by: DadRyan | February 9, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Coming out this Spring "Must Read" World Cup Soccer in The Middle East in eBook, audio,and print in all languages.

www.MiddleEastSoccerBook.com