Posted at 6:37 PM ET, 03/ 6/2011

Brad Friedel 90 in Aston Villa's 3-2 loss at Bolton
Brad Guzan not in 18 for Aston Villa
Marcus Hahnemann in 18, didn't play in Wolves' 3-3 draw with Spurs
Dom Cervi not in 18 for Celtic's 2-0 win over Hamilton
Luis Robles in 18, didn't play in Karlsruhe's 1-1 draw at Bochum
Diego Restrepo in 18, didn't play in America de Cali's 1-0 loss at Equidad

For defenders, midfielders and forwards.....

DEFENDERS

Bobby Wood 2 in 1860 Munich's 1-1 draw with Oberhausen
Conor Doyle in 18, didn't play in Derby's 0-0 draw with Barnsley
Mike Grella 90 in Swindon Town's 0-0 draw with Walsall
Gustavo Ruelas 9 in Santos Laguna's 3-2 loss to America

By Steve Goff  | March 6, 2011; 6:37 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad  | Tags:  Americans abroad
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Freddy Adu superb goal in Turkey
Next: Tuesday kickaround: D.C. United, CONCACAF Gold Cup, U.S. friendlies, U.S. women, Americans abroad, TV listings

Comments

Worth noting Jozy played in the midfield.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 6, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

@Jacob, where did he play in the midfield? Was it a 4-3-3 type line up? Or a 4-2-3-1? What was his role etc? How did he look?

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 6, 2011 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Saw a bit of Real Madrid laying it on Racing and quite notable was Ozil. Glimmers of great moments he had in South Africa, and an absolute reminder of why he was brought to RM in the first place.

I didn't even see the second half, but his hand in Adebayor's and Benzema's goals was pretty sick.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 6, 2011 8:45 PM | Report abuse

13 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 6, 2011 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody hope United wears the new red kit in the opener?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 6, 2011 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Haven't put a moment's thought to it.

Irregardless, Kuyt was offsides.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 6, 2011 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Remember back when all the DNPs were midfielders and forwards? Now only Timmy and Freidel in goal, but many mids and strikers getting big minutes.

Posted by: CYork1 | March 6, 2011 10:14 PM | Report abuse

What's up with Guzan? Loaned to Hull, started every game, not in the 18 this week, now listed by Goff for Aston Villa again. Is his loan over already?

Posted by: jojosbo | March 6, 2011 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Ives says Guzan heading back to Hull.

And I screwed up my I before E on Friedel before.

Posted by: CYork1 | March 6, 2011 10:18 PM | Report abuse

It was only a month long loan I believe.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Guzan start getting some starts at Villa.
Friedel has to be close to retiring or going back to MLS, and Villa is pretty far out of the running but safe from relegation.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 7, 2011 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Don't know the formation, just that he tweeted "midfield is no joke!" and somebody else who watched it said he was playing out wide. I'd bet on 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 based on the half of a game I watched a couple weeks ago.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 7, 2011 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Was that an in-game tweet?

IIRC, Guzan's initial loan was for one month and was extended for another. Houllier is reportedly looking for a younger, top-flight keeper to replace Friedel next season. Houllier apparently did not care for Guzan's keeper-in-waiting status.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 7, 2011 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Kuyt offside? Really? When? When the defender played the ball to him?

Posted by: loosek | March 7, 2011 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Goff tweets that he's off to Charleston from Richmond, where he'd been covering the basketball. Probably does NOT have a video production crew with him in the Insider Prius.

I eagerly await the expansion of the Kuyt offside claim...

Posted by: JkR- | March 7, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Patriots, your loss to VCU is our gain. Welcome BACK, back Soccer Insider! Glad you can't pass up a trip down to The Holy City.
I'm jealous!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Steve's iPhone (see what I did there?) should be his video production crew.

The Kuyt comment was sarcasm. Note the subtle use of "irregardless" and "offsides."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 7, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse

OT: Che's companion on noted '52 motorcycle trip dies. Hugo Chavez blames the US.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 7, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Any mention of Che makes you a progressive, Marxist, commie, liberal.

Guzan is now back at Hull, which is good. Not sure how long this new loan is.

Also, Villa just sent Brennan, a young CM, on loan to Leeds for the rest of the season. This is good news for M. Bradley. On another note, it continues to show how clueless Huillier really is, Brennan has been a bright spot in a mediocre season for Villa. Irregardless, I hope it leads to more PT for our boy: M. Bradley.

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 7, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure someone will pop up on this blog to tell us Bob Bradley paid off Ray Lerner to force Brennan to go on loan, ensuring Michael more PT so he can start and never be subbed off in the Gold Cup.

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 7, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Any mention of Che makes you a progressive, Marxist, commie, liberal.
Posted by: grubbsbl | March 7, 2011 11:00 AM
==========

Nani never dives!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 7, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@I-270. Nicely played.

I really didn't mean to sidetrack the discussion that way..and I think I was misunderstood. Tried to clarify in last comment on that thread.

As for Villa -- I"m hoping Lichaj gets to stay at Leeds.

Props to Beasley. If he and his team can keep this up, he'll replace Onyewu in the "Not in the 18" for next year's Champions League.

Posted by: fischy | March 7, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Re: Kuyt, I thought I had the tri-fecta:

Snark on "irregardless"

Snark on "offsides"

Snark on the fact that Kuyt was clearly onside(s).

Thanks for the protection, I-270. You'll get your 10 percent on time this month.

From the Department of Redundancy Department: "Any mention of Che makes you a progressive, Marxist, commie, liberal."

(I jest, fallschurch1 and fischy, I jest!)

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 7, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"Jest" = cultural elitist vocabulary.....

Posted by: JkR- | March 7, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Completely Off Topic Link:

While Kilauea has been erupting constantly since 1983, a new fissure has opened up and we see video of lava shooting as high as 65 feet in the air. I've seen the flows a couple of times, and it is always pretty thrilling, but I can't help gawking at the video. It would be pretty incredible to be able to see something like what looks like a lava falls in the clip... pretty neat...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

So obviously Bob Bradley's fault for playing (or not playing) Brian Ching.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 7, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@Fischy, I read your clarification comment. I just figured that board was dead. I personally don't mind when discussions get off topic for something like that. I actually enjoy them and I didn't mean to attack your personally or anything; so I hope you didn't take it in that way. I was just offering my view in hopes of illuminating your understand -as your response did for me. I do know we have to be careful because sometimes people take those debates personally or allow them to drift off into a smear of political bickering -something I was hoping to avoid.

But well in I-270. Same to Rand-al-Thor with his "redundancy" comment.

Also, I agree and hope Lichaj wins promotion with Leeds and stays permanently. They are smartly run now, a big club, and I bet will survive in the EPL. It could be a place for Lichaj to build a nice career at the top level.

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 7, 2011 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"I know he's not an Yank abroad, but Ozil must tweak the guts of Germans and Turks alike the way "our" Rossi does I'd imagine...?"

Mesut is 3rd generation German, born and bred. His national team jersey is the second most popular (after Schweinsteiger's) in terms of sales in Germany. He's always made it quite clear that although he respects his grandparents' heritage, he feels completely German. This isn't 1933... Germany's become a huge immigrant land in the last 10 yrs.

It's true that Turkey has had great success in getting better results internationally after bringing in players raised or born in Germany to Turkish heritage---the Altintops, and recently Ekici for instance. The only possible comparison to the Rossi situation is Nuri Sahin... he' also a Ruhrbub, but chose to play for Turkey to honor his parents (who are Turkish... he's not). He would've been a nice addition. But the midfield is pretty crowded with young talent at the moment, anyways... which probably helped his decision, I'd imagine.

Posted by: harryfuchs | March 7, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Erupting"?!

Percussion lead in
Guitar solo
Guitar solo
Guitar solo
Guitar solo

Slow fade

Guitar solo
Guitar solo
Guitar solo
Guitar solo

Van Halen, "Eruption," 1978

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 7, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Is Steve on a break?? Or is something really big brewing??

Posted by: DCB23 | March 7, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@harryfuchs, thanks for the insight. I obviously don't know much about the heritage of the German Nats, I got far more than I imagined I would from my fishing comment. Cheers!

@DCB23, See:

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

College basketball could be in the way.

Posted by: Reignking | March 7, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

ugh, his twitter says he's on the way to Charleston.... Gooosh!

Yo, I can't read this article, and the picture could be years old considering the jersey looks old as well as the ball, but MLSSoccer.com linked to this story about Najar playing for the Honduran U-20's... can anyone translate or shed light on the articles validity?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

completely off topic, but has CSN released their TV schedule yet for DCU?

Posted by: nairbsod | March 7, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Goff--Eddie Johnson only played 58 for Preston per ESPNSoccernet.....

Posted by: lovinliberty | March 7, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | March 7, 2011 11:32 AM

Really? Then I guess I misunderstood this, too......

Looking at the responses here is fascinating, and I think illuminating about some personality differences that express themselves politically.

I concede that anyone running onto the field is a bit of a jerk, but most of us celebrated the Russian penalty-taker's audacity. I'd bet the more liberal among us especially appreciated this act of self-expression and civil disobedience. That doesn't mean we want people running on the field, and we hope that security do their jobs and take these twits down -- but, it does mean we can smile when the harmless disruption is realized so perfectly.

In contrast, I'd guess that only the more conservative among us think there's anything to be celebrated in one of the players gratuitously jumping in to dish out their own punishment to enforce their own sense of order. I'm sure that slap has some appeal for some. I don't agree, but I think it says more about our political personalities than anything else.

Posted by: fischy | September 22, 2009 12:37 PM

(This was when Craig Bellamy slugged a fan who was being restrained by four stewards. Fischy concluded that those of us who believe in a smaller federal government enjoyed this act of brutality.)

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 7, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"Goff--Eddie Johnson only played 58 for Preston per ESPNSoccernet....."

Since Steve is driving the Insider Prius with both hands on the wheel (at 10, and 2, natch), he's prolly not to get to make a correction...

Nor should he, from what I see here: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report/_/id/293611?cc=5901

It appears he went 90, unless there is some mistake?

Posted by: JkR- | March 7, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Mr Chang have you introduced yourself to Mark Ein? He's local and loves DC. Maybe you guys could talk business.

Don't know if this article from Saturdays paper has been brought up...my apologies if it has

Posted by: timmy6 | March 7, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

This ongoing debate Illuminates more on the hegemonic sphere of American political identity than any concrete analysis of how conservatives and liberals perceive the world; or how each ideology receives, either positively or negatively, ocurances during football games. Those interpretations, which Fischy and others have engaged in, are arbitrary and individuals' interpretations reflect their perception of the opposing ideology (and their own ideology). Rather than launching an attack against the other ideology, as we have seen in both comments on this board, the much more interesting is to explore how both groups perceive themselves as a collective ideology.

That's my message to save this board from going where it's headed: Mark Sargent's blog over on post-politics. I can't stand that message board.

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 7, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Greg Sargent runs the The Plum Line Politics blog for the post.

Mark Sargent, I think, was a box to box Midfielder for QPR in Post WWII first division?

Posted by: JkR- | March 7, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan- The article claims Javier Padilla (whom I take to be the mananger of the Honduran U-20s) has been in contact with Najar and his agent with the goal of finding a date that he can join the team, with an eye toward him playing in the CONCACAF U-20 World Cup qualifiers that begin later this month.

Padilla is quoted as saying that Najar "could join the team for the game against Trinidad and Tobago, or would join directly in Guatemala".

This is setting off my BS detector for a couple of reasons. First, I'm pretty sure this is same site that has cried wolf about Najar before.

Second, I read an article a few days ago about the problems that the USSF was having securing players on MLS rosters for the competition, as clubs aren't obligated to release players. Among the names mentioned were Juan Agudelo, Jack McInerney, and Perry Kitchen.

I'm not a DCU fan, so you guys would probably know better than I do, but it doesn't seem likely to me that they would release Najar for this competition, especially since they seem reluctant to release Kitchen. Also, didn't Najar refuse a call-up to the full team sometime in the off-season, because of his purported focus on his studies and DC United? And now we're expected to believe he wants to miss at least a couple of league matches to play for the U-20s?

Posted by: BooThisMan | March 7, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

So ESPN.com has a new MLS fantasy game... I picked a team and noticed the boys over at Black and Red United had started a league so I joined it. The format looks pretty slick, you might need some reading glasses to set up your team but...

I know someone was asking about mfls.com's game, but I was personally a little underwhelmed by that format last season and have little interest in setting another one up.

Any input is appreciated. Do we need a Soccer Insider game somewhere? Shall we create another league on ESPN's site?
Lots of folks love MFLS and want to do another one of those?

What's up?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the input Boo.
I was obviously typing my 4:03 post while you were.
I don't spend a whole lot of time reading much on MLS's site, but that link seemed a little dubious. The picture alone looks a little dated...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan,

I'm up for any of it....I too was not totally happy with the setup last year, but I think we ought to get a SI league going somewhere....I'll go with ESPN if it is easy enough to do (and if someone sets it up).

Vamos United!!

Posted by: Smitty68 | March 7, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Now you guys have gone and done it. Rand-al-Thor is copying ALL the lyrics from Sgt. Pepper's - the Beatles album and the Bee Gees/Peter Frampton movie.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 7, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

I hope you bookmarked this link in your IPhone:

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 7, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I re-tasked a satellite a few hours ago. Goff just exited I-95 onto I-26 and should arrive in Charleston within the hour.

Ok in case Dad's out this year, I just created division "Argy Bargy Goff Insiders" at www.mfls.com. Password: insider

Posted by: benonthehill | March 7, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

How many Cracker Barrels are between Richmond and Charleston?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 7, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Cracker Barrel policy is 1 store per 15,000 crackers...

Oh, come on, it was set up, someone had to knock it in....

Posted by: JkR- | March 7, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

This place is turning into a bit of a zoo but I guess there's still no gnus.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 7, 2011 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Finally, ESPN changed their format for fantasy. So much better.

Posted by: Reignking | March 7, 2011 5:52 PM | Report abuse

So... are you going to join the Black and Red United league RK or???
There are already @29 people signed up for that one and the group motto is "Trash talking is highly encouraged"... :)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2011 6:20 PM | Report abuse

This place is turning into a bit of a zoo but I guess there's still no gnus.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 7, 2011 5:33 PM | Report abuse

This is what happens when our dear leader covers college basketball. I admit, I need parental supervision.

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 7, 2011 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how many Cracker Barrels there are between Richmond and Charleston, but I learned this this trip that there's a 24 hour Domino's on exit 172 on I-26. I thought that was odd. And a little dad for that area of the low country.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 7, 2011 7:00 PM | Report abuse

And in the Algarve Cup: USA 4 - Finland 0.
Boxx 8', Lloyd 13', Morgan 45', Morgan 54'

We play Iceland in the final on Wednesday.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 7, 2011 7:41 PM | Report abuse

12 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 7, 2011 7:57 PM | Report abuse

To point out the obvious, Morgan scored the very elusive palindromic brace.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 7, 2011 8:12 PM | Report abuse

FYI, those of you with FiOS, they are having a free preview of FS+ March 8-13. Channel 1009. Don't know if other providers are also doing this...

Posted by: fedssocr | March 7, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Under Armour signs deal with Tottenham, starting in 2012

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 7, 2011 8:22 PM | Report abuse

@fedssocr, how does one find this "free preview"?

Posted by: glfrazier | March 7, 2011 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Smitty68! Join ESPN's fantasy. Look for the Black and Red United league.... the password is the last name of our #14...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

OK, so I don't get cable TV. So I did't know that "1009" is a cable TV channel. Even though he said "channel 1009". I still didn't know it. 1K channels!? WTF!!? Admittedly, I haven't watched TV since they had four channels. And UHF. Which I imagine half of you punks don't even know what is. But, what on Earth do you do with 1k channels? Who watches all of that? How can 999 of those channels not be utter cr*p?

Posted by: glfrazier | March 7, 2011 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I assume to find the free preview you just tune your stb to 1009 starting tomorrow...as long as you have Verizon FiOS. If you have some other provider I would find out what channel FS+ is on and try tomorrow.

Posted by: fedssocr | March 7, 2011 10:32 PM | Report abuse

as to the question of so many channels, they arrange them in various tiers and collections. In the case of FiOS they have both HD and SD channels. So there is duplication there. And there are like 100+ HBO, CINEMAX, Showtime and other pay movie channels. While the numbers go high that doesn't mean that every nnumber has a channel. For example there is no channel 510-512 among many others. And there are a bunch of foreign language packages so on my box the channel numbers actually go up to 1798.

I see we get TelefuturaHD now though in addition to Univision HD! That's great news.

I really like FiOS way better than Comcast. They always seem to be adding channels. Now if they would give us FSC HD....

Posted by: fedssocr | March 7, 2011 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Am I missing a giant WTF article about the District's $200m investment in Southwest? As timmy6 mentioned? Mark Fischer is gone, right, so I guess he's not complaining about it? Or it's OK because it's tennis? I don't like publicly-funded stadia but if they're gonna spend the money anyway, why not get DCU in there?? Is there a metro reporter who would address this? Hedgpeth, or does she just do traffic incidents? Someone call Nakamura in Kabul and get him on this. He should be smirking and shaking his head right now, right? WTF???!?!?!

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 7, 2011 10:43 PM | Report abuse

So obviously Bob Bradley's fault for playing (or not playing) Brian Ching.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 7, 2011 12:34 PM

-------------------------------------------------------

Don't get me started. It's Bruce Arena's fault for not playing Ching.

OK -- now to respond. I'm stunned that one of our number has gone back through my posts to find an 18-month old comment, but props to you I guess. I'd certainly forgotten that discussion.

Per grubbs' comment, these observations are in some sense arbitrary. As I acknowledged, it's just a sense I have developed about conservatives- -- perhaps based on comments on right-wing talk radio. As it turns out, my impressions are probably unfair, given the news this week that many of the calls on right-wing talk radio are bogus calls placed by actors hired by conservative groups.

Posted by: fischy | March 8, 2011 12:10 AM | Report abuse

@fallschurch -- There is no $200 million for a tennis stadium. The city committed the $200 million years ago, for development purposes that have nothing to do with the stadium, and, I'm guessing, done long before even the Kastles owner ever thought about the location.

If there's a scandal there, it might be in the Fenty Administration steering not only contract but possibly public financing to friends. That's assuming the developers involved are Fenty friends. I haven't a clue. Maybe it'll be in the report coming out this week about Fenty's contract questions.

Posted by: fischy | March 8, 2011 12:17 AM | Report abuse

"There is no $200 million for a tennis stadium"

I didn't say there was; but I was led to believe, back when McFarlane was hoping for a stadium, that the $200m for "development purposes" was out of the question.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 8, 2011 9:03 AM | Report abuse

@fallschurch -- I don't know that was ever ruled out, per se.

You asked if "it's OK because it's tennis?" I took that to mean you thought the money did go for development to assist the tennis stadium, so I pointed out the stadium is piggy-backing on that investment, not the other way around.

I think with respect to the tennis stadium, you're talking about the developers' choice, not the city's. I don't know if the location is amenable to a soccer stadium, but it would interesting to know. Since the plan is for a temporary stadium, maybe DCU could wrangle an agreement to replace it in 2 or 3 years.

About the money DCU has wanted: if I remember correctly, I think the city definitely backed out of WIlliams' deal to allow DC United to develop Poplar Point itself. That was replaced by the idea of letting developers more friendly with Fenty to have the contract to develop. DCU asked for money at that point for ancillary infrastructure to facilitate their own investment in the stadium. The city definitely resisted that commitment, but there was never a concrete plan either to give the team a plot of land to develop -- and, of course, the whole thing fell through when the city's chosen developer backed out.

Posted by: fischy | March 8, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Small thing, but Ingolstadt was home.

Posted by: kolbkl | March 8, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse