Posted at 10:47 PM ET, 03/ 2/2011

CONCACAF Champions League, Americans abroad, D.C. United, Maryland Terrapins

By Steve Goff

*Monterrey defeated Toluca, 1-0, for a 2-0 aggregate victory in the CONCACAF Champions League, setting up a semifinal with Mexican rival Cruz Azul. Real Salt Lake, which advanced Tuesday, will learn its semifinal opponent Thursday night when Saprissa carries a 1-0 advantage to Olimpia (8 p.m. ET, Galavision).

*Americans abroad:
GK Brad Friedel 90 in Aston Villa's 3-0 FA Cup fifth-round loss at Manchester City

MF Michael Bradley 71 for Aston Villa
MF Maurice Edu 90 in Rangers' 1-0 Scottish Cup fifth-round loss at Celtic
D Oguchi Onyewu in 18, didn't play in Twente's 1-0 Dutch Cup semifinal win over Utrecht

*D.C. United's U.S. Open Cup qualifier against the Philadelphia Union -- the first of three hurdles in pursuit of a berth in the tournament proper -- will take place Wed., April 6 at Maryland SoccerPlex in Montgomery County.

*United rookie forward Blake Brettschneider wrote on his Twitter page that he has signed with the MLS club. No comment from the front office. Midfielder Brandon Barklage and rookie goalkeeper Joe Willis remain in training camp without contracts. United departs Thursday morning for Charleston, S.C., where it will play three matches in the Carolina Challenge Cup -- the final test before the MLS season opens in two weeks.

*The day after hosting the Los Angeles Galaxy on April 9, United will call on its reserves for a scrimmage against the University of Maryland at the RFK training grounds. Among other spring exhibitions, the Terrapins will play at NCAA champion Akron on April 2 and visit the New York Red Bulls on May 1.

By Steve Goff  | March 2, 2011; 10:47 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, CONCACAF Champions League, College Soccer, D.C. United, MLS  | Tags:  CONCACAF Champions League, D.C. United, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Real Salt Lake 4, Columbus Crew 1
Next: Special 1 TV: Mandela ("LMFAO") and It join Jose, Boy and Cabbage

Comments

Welcome aboard, Blake.

Vamos United!

Posted by: fischy | March 2, 2011 11:14 PM | Report abuse

my terps versus my united? I guess I just root for no one to get hurt. it would be great if Ben and Sasha got into each other's faces though....

Posted by: troy6 | March 3, 2011 1:43 AM | Report abuse

Th other side of the postcard that is the Carloina Challenge link featured Andy Najar with the ball.

Can't wait to be in Charleston come tomorrow afternoon. Ran into DeRo and a couple other TFC fellas last year, maybe I'll get lucky and bump into a United guy or two. Anyone else making the trip this year?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 3, 2011 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Wish I was Jacob, but I guess I should have thought twice about signing up in September to coordinate a class room cleaning party on March 5 at our daughter's school... Again, we'll be expecting a full report from you and will you be going on the supporters Pub Crawl? I met a lot of really fun folks from Charleston, Toronto, and DC a couple of years ago when I did. The Battery supporters are quite the hospitable group.
Cheers!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 3, 2011 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to randomly change the topic, but is anyone else waiting impatiently for more news about Barca-United at RFK? Is that still happening?

Posted by: mcintire78 | March 3, 2011 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Branko Boskovic
Blake Brettschneider
Brandon Barklage

That's alotteration for one team.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 3, 2011 9:17 AM | Report abuse

"The whole thing could have been avoided with me just going to my room and just relaxing. But, at the end of the day, I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. I still don’t think I was doing anything wrong. ... He [the policeman] talked down to me, like I was a little boy. I should have just turned around and put my pride aside, but I stood up for something I believe in."

-- New England midfielder Shalrie Joseph
=================

You gotta FIGHT
for your RIGHT
to PAAAAR-TAY!

Posted by: OWNTF | March 3, 2011 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Branko Boskovic
Blake Brettschneider
Brandon Barklage

That's alotteration for one team.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 3, 2011 9:17 AM

********************

This Brettmusburger kid we just signed has a surprisingly youthful style about him. Tweeting and all...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 3, 2011 9:51 AM | Report abuse

That's alotteration for one team.
Posted by: OWNTF | March 3, 2011 9:17 AM
==========

Oh B quiet.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 3, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

That's alotteration for one team.
Posted by: OWNTF
==========

Or, as Ashley Cole calls them, ammo.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 3, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Bobby Boswell

Posted by: benonthehill | March 3, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

B aggressive
B B aggressive
B B A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 3, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

for a recap of the match this Saturday against Charleston, log onto unitedmania.com on Monday the 7th as there will be a podcast recapping the match, MLS previews for both Conferences this upcoming 2011 season and all other DC United news and notes.

Posted by: terpfan4141 | March 3, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, back at the ranch (of an MLS team that seems to know its axe from a hole in the ground): http://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/2011/03/demolition-day-san-jose

Posted by: getjiggly1 | March 3, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse