Posted at 9:41 AM ET, 03/10/2011

Thursday kickaround: Algarve Cup, Oguchi Onyewu, Americans abroad, ESPN, TV listings

By Steve Goff

*In Portugal, the U.S. women's national team won the Algarve Cup for the eighth time with a 4-2 victory over Iceland. The Americans' next match is April 2 at England.

*U.S. defender Oguchi Onyewu, a center back throughout his career, on playing left back for Twente: "Obviously it's not my strongest position and I obviously play in the center of the field most of the time, but I wanted to use this as an opportunity to gain experience at a different position and I think ultimately it can only help me in terms of my versatility on the field." Read the full interview here.

*Onyewu is expected to start today at home in the first leg of a Europa League round-of-16 encounter with Zenit St. Petersburg. American midfielder Maurice Edu and Rangers are at PSV Eindhoven.

*American goalkeeper Diego Restrepo (University of Virginia) started for America de Cali in a 2-1 loss to Pacifico in Colombia's Copa Postobon. ... Tim Howard went 90 in Everton's 1-1 draw with Birmingham.

*Adrian Healey is ESPN's lead announcer for MLS matches this season, joining color commentator John Harkes.

For today's Europa League and Copa Libertadores TV listings.....

*Soccer on TV:
Europa League
Braga-Liverpool 1 p.m. GolTV
Bayer Leverkusen-Villarreal 1 p.m. DirecTV (481)
PSV Eindhoven-Rangers 1 p.m. DirecTV (482)
CSKA Moscow-Porto 1 p.m. DirecTV (483)
Ajax-Spartak Moscow 3 p.m. GolTV
Dynamo Kiev-Manchester City 3 p.m. DirecTV (481)
Benfica-PSG 3 p.m. DirecTV (482)
Twente-Zenit St. Petersburg 4 p.m. DirecTV (483)

Copa Libertadores
Espandola-Velez Sarsfield 5 p.m. Fox Deportes
Independiente-Godoy Cruz 7:30 p.m. Fox Deportes

By Steve Goff  | March 10, 2011; 9:41 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, TV, U.S. men's national team, Women  | Tags:  Americans abroad, U.S. women's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United defeats Chicago Fire, 1-0, for second victory at Carolina Challenge Cup
Next: A few minutes with D.C. United's Charlie Davies

Comments

Posted on DCU's site -- does this mean that the Comcast SportNet schedule will finally be released tomorrow?

"there’s no greater sales tool than getting someone to attend a game at RFK Stadium. Outside of that, our partners at Comcast SportsNet and La Nueva 87.7 FM work hard to capture the excitement and passion of a live D.C. United match in a two-hour broadcast window. Tomorrow, we’ll look ahead to broadcasting plans and initiatives for the season ahead."

Posted by: nairbsod | March 10, 2011 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Not the biggest Adrian Healey fan.

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 10, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

He's obviously no Darkes or Tyler, but I like him enough. I'm just ready for Twellman to permanently take Harkes' spot.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 10, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

They should have one supporter of each team doing color, with JP between them on pbp. Reality sports TV.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 10, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

and Temryss Lane. please please please

Posted by: OWNTF | March 10, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Charlie Davies interview on FSC that never aired. Very in depth interview describing details of the night of the accident that I hadn't heard before, including what happend when he woke up in the hospital, wow. http://on-msn.com/fB3pi9 #dcu

Posted by: Pete803 | March 10, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Rangers"?!

"I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn. If by life, or death, I can save you I will."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 10, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

@Pete, Thanks. That, was a great interview. I am still trying to evaluate his apparent sincerity with his actions several months ago with the "changing drivers" fiasco in Europe. I do not understand his thinking, if any. I think the jury is still out. We'll see in the very near future though.

Posted by: DCUmaniacsX2 | March 10, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Rangers playing a 5-4-1. Edu is the highest midfielder, but that's not saying much. We are only 14 minutes in and Edu isn't really making himself availible in possession when Rangers do get it. He's no ball playing CM, that's for sure. I bet he has a fine game breaking up passes and offering a threat on set pieces.

This game is probably gonna be a bore, thinking about going back to writing so I can watch the Twente game. Or, I'll flip over the the Villereal game.

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 10, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

SAT Analogy:

Big East Tourney:Euros::NCAA Tourney:World Cup

Every game in New York is just insane, it seems.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 10, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse