Posted at 8:18 AM ET, 03/ 1/2011

Tuesday kickaround: CONCACAF Champions League, D.C. United, Julius James, Shalrie Joseph, USA tickets, Americans abroad, TV listings

By Steve Goff

*The CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal series between MLS foes Real Salt Lake and Columbus Crew concludes tonight (10 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel, Galavision) at Rio Tinto Stadium. The first leg finished scoreless. Kickoff conditions: 37 degrees and clear. Previews from the Salt Lake Tribune and Columbus Dispatch.

*D.C. United resumes training in Washington today and tomorrow before departing for South Carolina and the final leg of preseason. The club decided not to offer a contract to Colombian forward Sergio Villarreal, who had been on trial. Former United defender Julius James, cut two weeks ago, has signed with the Crew.

*New England Revolution star Shalrie Joseph tells his side of the story concerning his legal issue at training camp in Florida.

*Ticket sales for upcoming U.S. national team friendlies: 40,000 for Argentina on March 26 at the Meadowlands in New Jersey, 12,000 for Paraguay three days later in Nashville. On a related note, now that Fox Soccer Channel has a new domestic contract, it will carry the USA-Paraguay match along with Telefutura.

*Americans abroad:
GK Tim Howard and Everton vs. Reading (FA Cup)
F Conor Doyle and Derby vs. Doncaster
D Frank Simek and Carlisle at Charlton
MF Anton Peterlin and Plymouth at Leyton Orient

For complete TV listings.....

*Soccer on TV:
England, Chelsea-Manchester United 2:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel

England FA Cup, Everton-Reading 2:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Plus, foxsoccer.tv

Spain, Sporting Gijon-Sevilla 4 p.m. ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com

Copa Libertadores, Godoy Cruz-Penarol 6 p.m. Fox Deportes

CONCACAF Champions League, Santos Laguna-Cruz Azul 8 p.m. Telefutura

Copa Libertadores, Tachira-Colo Colo 8:30 p.m. Fox Deportes

CONCACAF Champions League, Real Salt Lake-Columbus 10 p.m. FSC, Galavision

By Steve Goff  | March 1, 2011; 8:18 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad, CONCACAF Champions League, D.C. United, MLS, TV, U.S. men's national team  | Tags:  D.C. United, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New York Red Bulls fire assistant coaches
Next: D.C. United news & notes

Comments

VAMOS UNITED!!!
Lets put the RED back into the BLACK and RED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 1, 2011 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious recreation of the Cole shooting on marca.com today...I think it was originally Japanese.

Posted by: Reignking | March 1, 2011 8:56 AM | Report abuse

People actually read Marca?

I heard they recently acknowledged Lionel Messi exists for the very first time. Mind, it was by referring to him as "yet another La Liga player not as good as Cristiano Ronaldo"; but hey, baby steps.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 1, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Joseph seems seriously pissed at the Revs. Time to make our move.

Posted by: dccal | March 1, 2011 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone with a job on the east coast watch these 10 PM kickoffs?

Posted by: wanker82 | March 1, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Better than AS, who photoshopped a player out to make it look like a Barca player was offside.

I read Marca (and el mundo) from my days in Madrid.

Posted by: Reignking | March 1, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

My inability to watch Crew - RSL in preseason form has nothing to do with the hour it's on....

Posted by: JkR- | March 1, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

No matter what team you support, no matter what league you follow, no matter your nationality, can we all agree that tomorrow should be observed world-wide as Ryan Giggs Day?

For all the people I've met over the years who hate United, I've never heard anyone, even Scousers and City fans, have a bad word to say about Giggs.

Then again, I've never met Patrick Vieira.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 1, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

The Sharlie Joseph story is a non-story. There's nothing there. So a player was shouting in his hotel room late one night and got kicked out of the hotel. No big deal. There was no violence, no drugs, no sex, only a mild accusation of racist undertones in someone's language.

Posted by: WorldCup | March 1, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Apparently it wasn't getting kicked out that was his problem, it was refusing to actually GO out of the public portion of the hotel when the police told him to. Mr. Joseph alleges racism, so perhaps it was his version of a sit-in. At 3:30 a.m. In the stairwell of a Sheraton. Who knows? The facts aren't exactly clear, and we need Gene Wells on this.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 1, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Well, the big deal is that some racist cop was "talking down" to him. I don't doubt that for a second. Florida isn't exactly the most progressive place in the world. When he decided to argue with the cop he got taught a lesson in who has the power. He should sue the Orlando PD.

Now, it sounds like the Revs didn't even bother to get his side of the story. Unfortunately for him has a history of trouble so I am guessing their have a short fuse when it comes to him. Now, Alston on the other hand sounds like he didn't do anything so it is very odd that he was disciplined.

Although they both exercised poor judgement in partying like that. Maybe Stevie Nicol should take them all bowling.

Posted by: fedssocr | March 1, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I love MLS and like CCL, so even though I have a 4 am arrival job, I'll try to sneak in a nap and catch that RSL-Crew game.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 1, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@ Goff

Two questions: First, is there anyone else being considered as an addition to the team?

Second, what are our viewing options for the Carolina Cup. If I recall, last year some of the matches were available on the internet.

Posted by: edmundburke247 | March 1, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

BaRRD, that picture of Giggs betwixt the young lads is priceless, thanks.

Wouldn't surprise me if he were a distant relative of Kristine Lilly.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 1, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF You know, I just realized that it includes my older man crush, also intently watching the game. Anyone know how I can take that picture from the Telegraph and make it my screen saver for the month of March?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 1, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

BaRRD: Right-click on the photo, and you will see a few options.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 1, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I understand this is the internet and wild accusations are common place, but where does Joseph say that it was a cop that talked down to him? He just says "somebody" spoke down to him and that a shouting match broke out. He never says it was a cop. I'm not saying that cops are always right, but in this case, Joseph never indicated the racism was from the police.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | March 1, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

===============

Course you don't. Frikkin Bull Connor was probably just roaming around the Sheraton stairwell at 3:00 am looking for a black guy to hassle. Or maybe he was waiting in the stairwell with the fire hose. Where's Johnny Cochrane when you need him (God rest his soul)?

Posted by: OWNTF | March 1, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone with a job on the east coast watch these 10 PM kickoffs?
Posted by: wanker82 | March 1, 2011 11:07 AM
==========

An early round CCL match is not worth giving up a sick day. But if Congress shuts down the gov't, I might be watching more soccer next week than I want to.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

wanker, If it's anything like the first leg, watch with confidence. It was better than Ambien.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 1, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

can't believe i'm hoping for a chelsea result. i feel all icky.

with any luck, cole will shoot rooney in the elbow -- and the ref still won't show a card!

Posted by: asfoolasiam | March 1, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

@asfoolasiam. Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot that I have important "research" to do in the "library" this afternoon.

Ashley Cole makes Sharlie Joseph look like the citizen of the year.

Tom Cowan is probably the most famous intern since Monica Lewinsky.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 1, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cowan and Monica Lewinsky - both on the wrong end of the gun.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Cowan should offer Cole a cigar as conciliation . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | March 1, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking the same thing CrippledKeeper was saying, I don't see any mention of him getting into an argument with the police.
Still it's all very vague, and most of all, for a guy who's already been in some sort of rehab, he probably isn't being the best team mate staying up late drinking curfew or not when they have training in the morning?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 1, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse