Posted at 2:40 PM ET, 03/ 3/2011

Weekend soccer TV listings: Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Mexico

By Steve Goff

Numerous matches available online at ESPN3.com and foxsoccer.tv

All times are Eastern.

What are you going to watch?

FRIDAY

SUNDAY
Italy, Sampdoria-Cesena 6:30 a.m. FSP
England, Liverpool-Manchester United 8:30 a.m. FSC
Italy, Inter Milan-Genoa 9 a.m. FSP
England, Wolverhampton-Spurs 11 a.m. FSC
Spain, Malaga-Osasuna 11 a.m. ESPN Deportes
Spain, Sporting Gijon-Getafe 11 a.m. DirecTV (477)
Spain, Levante-Espanyol 11 a.m. DirecTV (478)
England, West Ham-Stoke City 11 a.m. FSP
Spain, Athletic Bilbao-Sevilla 1 p.m. GolTV
Mexico, Toluca-Morelia 1 p.m. Telemundo
Mexico, Puebla-Atlas 1 p.m. ESPN Deportes, Azteca America
Italy, Lazio-Palermo 2:30 p.m. FSC
Spain, Racing Santander-Real Madrid 3 p.m. GolTV
France, Marseille-Lille 3 p.m. FSP
Netherlands, Ajax-Alkmaar 3 p.m. ESPN Deportes
Germany, Freiburg-Werder Bremen 5 p.m. ESPN Deportes
England, QPR-Leicester 5 p.m. FSP
MONDAY
England, Blackpool-Chelsea 3 p.m. ESPN2
Spain, Deportivo La Coruna-Real Sociedad 3 p.m. DirecTV (477)

By Steve Goff  | March 3, 2011; 2:40 PM ET
Categories:  TV  | Tags:  soccer on TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: FIFA makes no major changes to 2014 World Cup bids: CONCACAF again with 3 automatic slots, one playoff entry
Next: Video: San Jose Earthquakes' stadium project is off to a smashing start

Comments

Barca has been on espn deportes a lot lately. Poor Ray Hudson must be devastated

Posted by: fedssocr | March 3, 2011 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"All times are Eastern."

Easternsnob.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 3, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

really missing FSP now that i've moved. Comcast, please add Fox Soccer Plus to the Sports Tier.

and Wigan again? really hoping they get relegated. i can't remember a single one of their matches that i've enjoyed watching over several years.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | March 3, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

refuse to pay for FSP, but wish I had it this weekend, because Marseille-Lille is the game to watch this weekend.

Posted by: nairbsod | March 3, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Hoping that the TFC folks hook up live feeds of all the matches at the Carolina Challenge Cup, Jacob better be hounding some fools at the tailgate on Saturday...;)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 3, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

So dimes, you're Wigged out, eh?

Posted by: OWNTF | March 3, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I predict thousands of anti-Bradley (father and son)postings after the Bolton-Villa game on multiple web sites, no matter what the result (and whether or not M. Bradley plays). I am hoping for a US central midfield contest, but not planning to join the Bradley bashing myself.

Posted by: assocfoot | March 3, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

In the A-league match, the ball will be moving Coast to Coast.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 3, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

In the A-league match, the ball will be moving Coast to Coast.

Posted by: I-270Exit1

I see your point but is there really a coast in the Centrial part of Australia?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 3, 2011 6:40 PM | Report abuse

16 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 3, 2011 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Nines you're more stoned than I am... Centrial? LOL.
For the record the Central Coast of California is GORGEOUS. I'm assuming that they are referring to a similar Central Coastal region of a particular side of the Continent. :)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 3, 2011 8:35 PM | Report abuse

from previous thread: another important announcement from FIFA yesterday was that the 2013 World FIFA Congress will be held in...drum roll please...Mauritius!

Posted by: troy6 | March 4, 2011 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 4, 2011 9:00 AM | Report abuse

So troy, are you calling in sick on those days?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Games this weekend: Liverpool-Man U and Juventus-AC Milan are the powerhouse matches. (FSC is promoting them as "Clash of the Giants.") Other interesting ones include Hanover-Bayern Munich (3 vs. 4 in the table), Athletic Bilbao-Sevilla (6 vs. 7, fighting for that last Europa League spot), Marseille-Lille (3 vs. 1), and Ajax-Alkmaar (3 vs. 5). I don't get ESPN Deportes or FSP so I won't see the Ligue 1 or Eredivisie games. Four games is enough though.

Posted by: Brokenbil | March 4, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Quick. Someone start a discussion before Rand-al-Thor posts "Top 100 Rest Stops and Exits on I-95."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Don't know if anyone saw this: http://www.dcunited.com/schedule/match-links-for-2011-03-05-charleston-battery-vs-dc-united

"The match will be broadcast on dcunited.com using the MLS video platform."

Maybe we will get to watch after all.

Posted by: BlackAndRed337 | March 4, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I'll leave the exits to you and rest stops to Charlie Sheen and his fans:

Top 75 novels (by Modern Library)

1. ULYSSES by James Joyce
71 A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA Richard Hughes
72. A HOUSE FOR MR BISWAS V.S. Naipaul
73. THE DAY OF THE LOCUST Nathanael West
74. A FAREWELL TO ARMS by Ernest Hemingway
75. SCOOP by Evelyn Waugh

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 4, 2011 12:13 PM | Report abuse

No HAM ON RYE, no ASK THE DUST, not even an Allende or Garcia Marquez? How is that even possible?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 4, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Now you're talkin' real talk Godfather!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 4, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, I thought Hardy Boys #4 "The Missing Chums" might have popped up on that list. Can't beat the classics....

Great news about the Challenge Cup Streaming. It is 'Microsoft Silverlight' streaming technology however, so Mac folks will need to plan accordingly (looks like there might be a plug in now for Mac?)

Posted by: JkR- | March 4, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Nothing by John Grisham, Tom Clancy, JkR(owling)? Literasnobs

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I love Michael Bradley. I hate Bob Bradley coaching Michael Bradley.

Posted by: GeneWells | March 4, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

To answer half your question, the list is confined to English-language novels of the 20th century.

Posted by: BooThisMan | March 4, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

As far as this list and DC United is concerned, I hope our #20 (Native Son) doesn't turn into a #19 (Invisible Man).

Posted by: WorldCup | March 4, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

How many of those 75 are available in "Classics Illustrated" format?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 4, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I bought Of Human Bondage. It wasn't what I thought it would be.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1

I bought Of Human Bondage. It wasn't what I thought it would be.

27 | March 4, 2011 3:10 PM

This is certainly a case where the video didn't follow the book. At least not the Betamax version I'm familiar with...

Posted by: JkR- | March 4, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

The New York Cosmos have a home jersey. Who would pay $80 for a jersey without a team?
And why isn't there an away or third jersey?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Cosmos are delusional using an Umbro kit, Adidas will never let anyone break their monopoly on the league.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 4, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Adidas doesn't want to (a) produce a jersey that few people will buy and (b) appear to support the Cosmos' bid for MLS membership.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Faulkner is such a national treasure but the bozos who put these lists together insist on putting The Sound And The Fury over Light In August . . . it's insane.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 4, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

We're all outraged fallschurch1. It's just good manners that keeps us from lashing out....

Posted by: JkR- | March 4, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I post this for two reasons...the sheer ridiculousness of this ref, as well as the caption above the video. Figured everyone would appreciate some ARGY BARGY!!

Posted by: daandre3 | March 4, 2011 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Moby Dick, To Kill a Mockingbird, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Farenheit 451, Red Badge of Courage, The Scarlet Letter, Call of the Wild, The Jungle, Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer , Confederacy of Dunces . . .

Methinksyour list is missing a few

Posted by: delantero | March 4, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

15 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 4, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

delantero, someone above mentioned that these are 20th century works.

We need another post . . .

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 4, 2011 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Greetings from Charles Towne!

MLS got rid of silverlight this year.

To Kill a Mockingbird was definitely 20th century. Also, Gone With the Wind?

That Cosmo kit is straight Hipster stuff. Newest Eurosport has an add with a few skateboarders in skinny jeans wearing them, and I think it was Brian Straus (he without an employer) that said their deal with Umbro/Nike is instantly terminated if they gain entrance to MLS.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 4, 2011 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I HATE the Cosmos!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 4, 2011 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm reading "The Missing Chums" to my son right now. Given that he's 5 and a big fan of sharks, he thought it was something else when we checked it out at the library. But it's working out OK now.

Posted by: lvgooner347 | March 5, 2011 12:10 AM | Report abuse

I like the Cosmos kit --- I've been eyeing it for a while. If you prefer classics, or a road outfit, there is a 1976 green road kit (#10, of course). It's a little steep at $50 for a cotton ringer, but very cool.

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2011 1:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm hoping for a cosmos jersey or Strasburg jersey for my birthday...but I don't suppose anyone reading this will help make that happen....

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2011 1:17 AM | Report abuse

To Kill a Mockingbird was definitely 20th century. Also, Gone With the Wind?

--Right, but those are arguable, whereas if Moby Dick and Huck Finn were left off any comprehensive list, I would join you in overturning cars and breaking windows.

I would swap either in for Winesburg, Ohio, though. I liked that one in high school and all, and credit to Anderson for writing about my ancestral homeland, but . . . I'd recommend your two above to my daughter before that one.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 5, 2011 8:04 AM | Report abuse

The Old Man and the Sea is another notable omission. What's the newest book on that list? Something from the 1960's. Another great American endeavor lost to imports.

@fischy: I presumptively speak for all of us when I say that you may own an original NASL Cosmos jersey. But any new replicas must be destroyed if the Cosmos join MLS.

I write that from experience. In 2000 I bought a Whitecaps jersey as a souvenir of a trip to Vancouver. I recently donated it to one of those charities that call and ask for used clothing.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 5, 2011 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Darke and Macca not at all afraid to call this Birmingham City-West Brom game for what it is, which is "dreadful".

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 5, 2011 8:28 AM | Report abuse

delantero, someone above mentioned that these are 20th century works

>>>

Well then, Private Parts, Going Rogue, and Earth.

Posted by: delantero | March 5, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

14 days until United's first 2011 league match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 5, 2011 9:59 AM | Report abuse

@I-270 -- What a, I supposed to do with the Beckham Galaxy jersey my brother gave me back in '07? I'll tell you what I'd like to do with it, but it was a gift....

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Tell your brother that your wore the jersey to a bar and a hot chick struck up a conversation with you because of it. The next morning she took the jersey and you never saw it, or her, again. Your brother will understand.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 5, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

uhmmm 270, I'd gladly hire you as my lawyer, but you gotta let me call you Dr. Gonzo...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 5, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse