Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 1:53 PM ET, 08/19/2010

No ‘dirty bomb’ plot, South Africa says

By Jeff Stein

An “industrial nuclear device” seized in a dramatic Pretoria police bust last month was radioactive cesium destined for a mining company in the Congo, not a terrorist group, a South African police official told SpyTalk on Thursday.

An extensive undercover investigation by South Africa’s elite “Hawks” police unit, assisted by Interpol, had culminated in a July 9 shootout at a gas station and the arrest of five men said to be part of a criminal gang that had spent months trying to sell stolen cesium worth $6 million to $7 million.

In part because police said they were desperately searching for a much larger cache of the highly toxic material, the arrests sparked worldwide headlines about a possible terrorist plot to obtain the cesium for a “dirty bomb” -- a mix of radioactive material and common explosives.

But Hawks spokesman Musa Zondi said in an interview Thursday that police had concluded that the bulk of the cesium had been intended for “a mining company in the Congo” and “had reached its destination.” He refused to identify the company “because the matter is in court.”

“There is absolutely no terrorist angle to this,” he said by telephone from South Africa.

The origin of the stolen cesium, however, remains unknown, Zondi said.

“I don’t know [where it came from]," he said. “That’s why it’s in court, to answer that question.”

Cesium-137, a silvery metal that is liquid at room temperature, has many commercial uses, including as a material to lubricate oil well drills.

The five men, who were released on bail, are due back in court in September, Zondi said.

One of the suspects, Andre Le-Sar, 37, “previously worked at the YSCOR arms factory in Van Der Bijl Park," an industrial zone south of Johannesburg, according to a South African investigator who insisted on anonymity, “but was unemployed at a stage and is now a self-employed plumber.”

No details could be learned about the four others being held, beyond their ages and residences of record.

By Jeff Stein  | August 19, 2010; 1:53 PM ET
Categories:  Homeland Security, Intelligence, Lawandcourts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mosque fight helps al-Qaeda, says former FBI interrogator
Next: Fired DIA officer challenges security-clearance removal

Comments

-AND WHO WOULD BE DUMB ENOUGH TO TAKE THE WORD OF EITHER AN "AFRICAN OFFICIAL" , OR THE ZIONIST MUTT REPORTING IT??? GIVEN THE HISTORY OF ISRAEL "SPYING" ON THE U.S. WHILE SUGGESTING AN UNBREAKABLE, UN-SHAKEABLE RELATIONSHIP WITH US IN THE SAME BREATH, SUCH TRUST IS RIDICULOUSLY UN-EARNED . SOMETHING CALLED 'SPY TALK' AND WRITTEN BY A JEW IS SOMEWHAT HONEST AT LEAST. OY!

Posted by: scylla62 | August 19, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

scylla62: Do you unbutton your shirt to talk out of your bellybutton, because it appears your head is so far up your rectal orifice that we would not hear you otherwise. Please, do let us know that you are sterilized so no little spawn of yours will pollute the gene pool. And take your meds, or probation will be revoked by the court of common sense.

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | August 19, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company