Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 8:39 AM ET, 02/28/2011

Musa Kusa, Libya's ‘envoy of death,’ escapes UN sanctions list

By Jeff Stein

Musa Kusa, the Libyan foreign minister who became known as “the envoy of death,” is not on the United Nations sanctions list, a notable omission that has lit up the exile tweetersphere.

Kusa earned the grisly moniker years ago for his role in assassinating and kidnapping opposition figures abroad. After the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks Kusa, Gadaffi’s intelligence chief at the time, was directed to cooperate with the CIA on terrorism. The U.S.-educated Kusa reprised the role when the strongman decided to dismantle his weapons of mass destruction programs in exchange for lifting sanctions against the country for its role in the 1989 downing of PanAm Flight 103.

Western diplomats and White House officials described the Libyan sanction list as “dynamic,” meaning Kusa could be included on it at a later date.

“This first block includes those who are most significantly and directly implicated in what has occurred. It doesn't preclude additions to the list depending on what happens going forward,” said a State Department official, who requested anonymity in exchange for discussing the sensitive Libyan situation.

Likewise, said Ben Rhodes, the White House deputy national security adviser for strategic communications, “the president has authorized the Treasury Department to publicly identify for sanctions additional senior government officials as well as those individuals responsible for human rights abuses related to political repression in Libya, so it can and will be a growing list based upon events.”

Six Libyan officials have already been removed from the list of 16 names on the travel ban, presumably, sources said, because they had defected to the opposition.

A Western diplomat called the list “dynamic,” and cautioned that just because a Libyan official’s name is not on the current list, “if doesn’t mean they have impunity” to travel or move money around. At present, he and others noted, Kusa is the West's main contact point with the regime, which probably explains why he is not included in the UN's travel ban.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said Sunday that he had been in touch with Kusa by phone.

“I called the Libyan Foreign Minister last night because you still have to communicate to them directly,” Hague told the BBC. “Personally this situation is unacceptable, yes we can still get through on the telephone to the Libyan regime and we use that to say this is an unacceptable situation and you’ve got to take steps to bring it to an end, which in this case means the departure of the regime leaders.”

Colum Lynch contributed to this story.

By Jeff Stein  | February 28, 2011; 8:39 AM ET
Categories:  Foreign policy, Intelligence, Lawandcourts  | Tags:  Musa Kusa; Moammar Gaddafi; President Obama  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Libya’s ambassador here raising pre-Gaddafi flag
Next: Libya's poison gas unaffected by turmoil, official says

Comments

So the CIA is protecting its murderous torturous little friend Kusa. One way or the other, he and Gaddafi will go down together.

Posted by: Simon2 | February 28, 2011 9:14 AM | Report abuse

When 'extraordinary rendition' became ordinary operating procedure, Kusa would have been happy to do things that were beyond even the 'enhanced interrogation techniques' that G.W. Bush authorized. Nothing like telling someone "If you don't tell us what we want we will send you to the Libyans".

So this is in some way a 'thanks for doing our dirty work' gesture.

Posted by: cyberfool | February 28, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Regime suicide. Eros is a mischievous child. The baby archer.

Posted by: jobandon | February 28, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company