Heyward-Bey and NFL Talk

Coaches usually shy away from NFL talk before a season even begins, but Coach Ralph Friedgen chimed in with some thoughts on how he may handle the situation with talented wide receiver Darrius Heyward, who should get considerable interest from NFL folks:

“I will have someone come in from the [NFL] Players Association and talk to whole team about it. I told Darrius, ‘That should be the farthest thing from your mind right now. Have a good year. And then I will give you my honest appraisal of where I think you are at. We’ll do the routine we have done with everyone else, and give you as much information you need to make the right decision. You just have to trust me.’

“He said he does trust me. I said, ‘Let’s just focus on the year and don’t listen to all these agents. And we’ll get the right one for you there, too.’”

Heyward-Bey, a junior, should be one of the more explosive receivers in the country this season. He already has 96 career receptions, which ranks 12th in school history.

“I can tell you this, if you look at past years, the years we have had good football teams, more guys got drafted than the years we did not have good football teams,” Friedgen said. “You get a lot more recognition when the team wins. I have never seen the ‘I’ in him. I have never seen where if he doesn’t catch 10 balls in the game he is sulking afterward. I would be very surprised if I ever do, because I don’t see that from him. I told him I wanted the best for him. I would love to see him graduate. I think he would love to get in the communications field. I think he is kind of a natural in front of a camera.”

By Eric Prisbell  |  August 25, 2008; 12:17 PM ET
Categories:  Football  | Tags: Darrius Heyward-Bey, NFL, Ralph Friedgen
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friedgen Has Cal, E. Michigan Games Circled
Next: Steffy Wins Popular Vote

Comments

“I can tell you this, if you look at past years, the years we have had good football teams, more guys got drafted than the years we did not have good football teams,” --Is this the type of in-depth, hard-hitting analysis we can expect all year?

Posted by: BWIL | August 25, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

He is the best wide reciever in college football not name Crabtree or Harvin. A solid year from one of our quarterbacks should put him in mid 1st round status. The combine will elevate him even more.

Posted by: Darren | August 25, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Heywood Bay hit a sophomore slump last year, but if he isn't first team All ACC this season, i will be shocked.

One thing about Bay remains questionable tho...his 4.2 speed. When he got caught from behind at the very end of the Gtech game 2 years ago, in a play that later haunted us (that play alone prevented us from going to the ACC championship game)...i said no way the kid runs a 4.2.

4.2 guys do not get caught from behind.

Posted by: Rudes | August 25, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BWIL | August 25, 2008 12:21 PM

To me, it looked like a quote from Friedgen, not "analysis."

Posted by: Barno | August 25, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

You're absolutely right: A quote where Friedgen provides historical analysis on a trend/correlation between wins & losses, and NFL-ready talent. His analysis within the quote is as vanilla as can be, comparable to the ability of some to "read between the lines".

Posted by: BWIL | August 25, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

If you're looking for bitter, agenda-driven, biased coverage of the team, with pseudo-controversies and unnamed sources a la Jason La Canfora's Redskins Insider (what you would probably call "reading between the lines") I doubt you're going to find it here...so you might as well just go troll another blog, nerd phisher.

Posted by: Barno | August 25, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

If you look at Friedgen's comment in context (and if anyone who follows the Terps would know this), he meant that players who keep their head down and focus on the season have a better chance to help the team and gain recognition that those who just worry about their stats and fantasize about potential early exit scenarios.

Also, that winning in and of itself gets more players attention than just talent. I don't think that the Terps have necessarily had more talent in years where they won more.

Posted by: H | August 25, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey! He is a great kid with alot of speed, but he is not a first round pick. I've been following this kid for 3yrs now and he has alot of work to do. His hands are suspect, route running is poor and he is not physical enough for his size. Running a 4.2 will get him drafted, but he'll have to elevate his game to become a top level WR. Ralph has a couple of young WR's on his roster that are just as good if not better than the starters.

Posted by: Football Nut | August 26, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse