Terps are No. 4

The Terrapins are not in the preseason Top 25, but they rank No. 4 in StubHub’s Top 25 best ticket values in college football. StubHub, the world’s largest ticket marketplace, has released rankings of the best value for the college football fan’s wallet. In the interest of full disclosure, I bought two tickets for $25 each off StubHub for that Rutgers-Louisville game a few years ago and, well, we had a heck of a good time.

Here are the 2008 rankings from StubHub:

1) Pittsburgh
Average price: $39
Best game value: 10/25 Rutgers ($37)

2) Purdue
Average price: $42
Best game value: 11/22 Indiana ($55)

3) Kansas
Average price: $42
Best game value: 10/25 Texas Tech ($54)

4) Maryland
Average price: $44
Best game value: 10/18 Wake Forest ($34)

5) Arizona
Average price: $45
Best game value: 10/18 Cal ($34)

A $54 ticket for Texas Tech-Kansas would seem like a good buy. A $45 ticket for an Arizona game would not necessarily be a good buy. Personally, I'd scrap Tucson all together and head for Tempe.

How much would you pay to see a Terps-Eastern Michigan game? How much to see a Terps-Cal game?

By Eric Prisbell  |  August 27, 2008; 8:01 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wanted: Delaware's players
Next: QB Mystery Man

Comments

Considering it's almost 300 bucks for season's tickets, I'm not quite seeing the "value". I realize it's a short season, but it's still not quite a "value". How much are other places charging, 150 a ticket?

Posted by: EricS | August 27, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Wake Forest in my opinion possesses some of the most reasonable prices in the ACC. I've been to a few Maryland-Wake Forest games in Winston-Salem and I've really enjoyed the atmosphere.

Compare college football prices with the NFL and you realize these represent bargains. For NFL season tickets you can expect to pay about 1500 a year.

I also prefer college games because they don't sell alcohol. It curbs at least some of the idiocy. Of course more than a few fans are able to sneak their alcohol into the stadium or arrive totally stoked.

The one area I would like to see the University and athletic department address is the deplorable parking situation.

Posted by: Charles | August 27, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Charles - Not sure what your issue with parking is, but they did change things up this year. All surface parking is permit-based now. The details are on the terps website.

Posted by: JME | August 27, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Maryland will finish with a 4-8 record (good for last place in the ACC - even behind Duke)

It was gratifying to hear that, Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin.

Posted by: gary | August 27, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

By Eric Prisbell | August 27, 2008; 8:01 AM ET

You should've used Stub Hub for the Rutgers-Md game, and seen your scarlet knights beat down in person...

Posted by: Rudes | August 27, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse