ACC No Longer a Joke?

We’re not hearing as many jokes about the ACC now, although I’m not ready to proclaim that the league is anything better than the fifth-best BCS conference in the country. And I still say I like the Mountain West trio of BYU, TCU and Utah over the top three in the ACC. But as Ralph Friedgen likes to say, the ACC has “shown me something” over the last few weeks.

What we have learned: Despite living up to its inconsistent rep, Clemson is still a favorite. So is Virginia Tech, despite the loss to ECU. And Wake Forest, the quintessential under-the-radar team, has to be among the favorites, having already beaten three schools from BCS conferences.

Maryland is the conference’s most confounding team, and I don’t think it’s close. The Terps offset the jaw-dropping loss at Middle Tennessee State with a semi-dominant performance against then-No. 23 California. How good is this team? We’ll get a better sense Saturday in Death Valley.

“The team that will win this whole thing is the team that is not going to have a letdown,” Friedgen said. “And I think you have to win on the road. We have not shown you can do that.”

After the 51-24 win over Eastern Michigan, Friedgen walked into his team’s locker room and quickly referenced the upcoming stretch of conference games: Saturday at Clemson; Oct. 4 at Virginia and Oct. 18 vs. Wake Forest. Friedgen mentioned all three because he feels it is a critical stretch that includes two road games and two games against the favorites in the league.

“If we do well, we will be right in the mix,” Friedgen said. “It starts in Death Valley. They will just be waiting for us. “

Added quarterback Chris Turner: “This game against Clemson, every time we go down there it is a crazy game for one reason or another. That is what we anticipate this week. If we can get this win, that would really help.”

So let me ask: Given the unpredictable nature of Maryland, what is a realistic expectation for the next eight games? Five wins?

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 22, 2008; 9:30 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How Can Maryland Beat Clemson?
Next: Terps Scoring too Fast?

Comments

I'll be happy enough if we can go .500

Virginia is winable. NC State is winable. Clemson and Wake Forest are the tossups. I suppose we'll know more after Saturday. If we can even show decently we should survive the rest of the schedule. Having Wake up here is huge.

Posted by: EricS | September 22, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Call me a homer. We run the table. ACC Champions.

Posted by: V | September 22, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Anywhere from 0-8 to 8-0 is possible with these guys.

Posted by: Terpin | September 22, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Anything less than 5-3 would be a minor disappointment. UVA and NC State should be wins. FSU and UNC (QB out for the year most likely) are winnable home games. Wake is at home. VT and BC aren't as good as in the past.

This team is still capable of losing to anyone, but if they play to potential, there isn't a game left they can't win.

Posted by: Greg | September 22, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I like 5-6 wins.

So you have both the Pac10 and Big 10 ahead of the ACC? Have any schools not names USC done anyhing to deserve that?

Posted by: Lee | September 22, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I like 5-6 wins.

So you have both the Pac10 and Big 10 ahead of the ACC? Have any schools not names USC done anything to deserve that?

Posted by: Lee | September 22, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I like 5-6 wins.

So you have both the Pac10 and Big 10 ahead of the ACC? Have any schools not names USC done anthing to deserve that?

Posted by: Lee | September 22, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I like 5-6 wins.

Posted by: Lee | September 22, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The SEC is far superior to the ACC. The best team in the ACC is no better than 5th in the SEC.

I would rate the Big 12 as the second best conference and the Big Ten third.

I'd have the ACC fourth.