Friedgen off the Hot Seat?

Once again, this hot seat Web site means nothing. But it’s fun to look at just to see how the perception of Maryland changes with one win or one loss. According to the site, Friedgen is no longer on the dreaded hot seat, even though he rose to No. 5 after the MTSU loss. The first two guys on the list appear to be toast, barring an unforeseen turnaround. But No. 4 is making a darn good case for No. 1 in the nation after frittering away last night’s game against Colorado. I don’t think No. 6 belongs on the list at all. And No. 8 should be higher.

In the days after the MTSU loss, I told Ralph that I was getting a lot of feedback from the fans. My body language told Friedgen that most of what the fans were saying was not good.

“You don’t want to hear most of it,” I told him.

He paused, looked away for a second, and then, with a serious look on his face, said: “You’re right.”

Part of a coach’s psyche enables him to insulate himself from the criticism. But the tide turns quickly, and all the fans showering Ralph with criticism are quiet this week, and some are even talking about a possible ACC title. I’ll still say seven victories.

But my question is how many teams right now have a better chance than Maryland to win the ACC title? I say three: Wake Forest, Virginia Tech and Clemson. Now, I’m not saying Maryland is the fourth-best team in the league. I’m saying that there is no overwhelming favorite and that Maryland has about the same chance to win the league as a team like FSU.

Agree or disagree?

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 19, 2008; 4:34 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thoughts on Injuries
Next: Five Questions for Terps-EMU Game

Comments

Is it a year to early to say UNC? Butch Davis is kind of a monster. All those pro laden(shockey reed portis mcgahee winslow gore blah blah blah blah blah) teams that won titles at the U were built by him coming off probation...

Posted by: Lee | September 19, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the Atlantic division, any of FSU, Wake, Clemson or MD should legitimately have a shot at the ACC Title game.

If MD were to beat Clemson in Death Valley, that really makes things interesting, since the Terps get Wake and FSU both at home.

Posted by: Greg | September 19, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I would say we have the same chance of winning the ACC as the other three teams for the following reasons:
1. Clemson - There coach is Tommy Bowden.
2. Wake - Their quarterback was stupid enough to take naked pictures of himself and try to sell them. That issue is not going to go away.
3. Virginia Tech - They are down this year. Way down. Half their team from last year is in the NFL.

Posted by: V | September 19, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I'll give credit where credit is due. But when a team has the talent to beat a Cal team and loses badly to some school in BFE that no one has ever heard of, it is clearly the coach's fault.

And I'm pretty tired of Ralph throwing the players under the bus every time he's quoted.

HE'S A MAN. HE'S >40. He should take the heat and stop being a baby.

Also, his physique is embarrassing for all of humanity.

Posted by: GMorris | September 19, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

He's never been on the hot seat, anyone with a memory, knows what he's done for the Univ of Maryland!
I wish the games were on channels other than espnU & 360, since the Comcast oligopoly doesnt' recognize them.

Posted by: Mike | September 20, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Ralph is on a very warm seat this year and next. He is on that seat because we have to use our memory to go back 5 years to when he had his good years. And like Lamont Jordan said--he had his good years with other people's recruits.
The ACC is so mediocre that any of the four teams mentioned might have a chance. THey all have question marks and we dont know if Maryland is more like the one that lost to MTSU or beat Cal. Clemson is always overrated and FSU is still not back to where they once were. Wake is interesting and it still pains me to think they can have a solid football program for a school of 3,000 students.

Posted by: zman | September 20, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse