It's Final

Chris Turner took three kneels, and that was that. Maryland defeats No. 23 Cal 35-27.

By Steve Yanda  |  September 13, 2008; 3:28 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cal Strikes Again
Next: Cal Claims Long Travels Played Little Role in Slow Start

Comments

To the people calling for Friedgen's head: SHUT...UP!!!

Posted by: V | September 13, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Like I said in an earlier comment, this is the start of a pattern we've had for the last few years, namely playing to the perceived level of our opponent. I'm thrilled for this win, but the trick is to see how they play next week against a non-ACC, unranked opponent. Then - and only then - will I feel better.

Posted by: Steven | September 13, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: "sick" hit on best | September 13, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Cosh and that prevent defense makes me nuts. Why would a D1 coach, who has stifled the #23 team in the country for 57 minutes, go to the prevent for the last 3 minutes. Pucker! Go Terps.

Posted by: 6th and D | September 13, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

That first half will keep the wolves away from Ralph's door for awhile. But he is far too conservative. When he had them by the throat he let up and let them back in the game while playing such a soft defense. Don't tell me about his coordinators. He is the head coach. He also needs to have open tryouts for kicker. I understand that there is not a single other place kicker on the team.

Posted by: JT | September 13, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Sure looks like Turner in Steffy out!

Posted by: charlie | September 13, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

1) This is a great win.

2) When this team is playing well, it's really pretty to watch.

3) The Terps need to show that they can concentrate like they did during the first 55 minutes of this game for 60 minutes, against teams less illustrious than Cal.

Posted by: Lindemann | September 13, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Also, Danny Oquendo is super-clutch.

Posted by: Lindemann | September 13, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Ralph really had them ready to play today! This was a huge win to say the least.

We need to stomp Eastern Michigan next week to get some momentum. If we play down to their level, this will be another mediocre year. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I thought Franklin's play calling was excellent. he mixed things up nicely. But I thought bringing in portis when turner was on such a roll was a mistake. He should only come in when the offense is struggling, and he should stay in for at least a series. this oen play and out thing is simply not working at all.

Cosh was very aggressive early in the game and it paid off. I loved the QB pressure! But then he went back to his old passive ways in the 4th quarter and we almost blew it. This guy just doesn't seem to get it. Ralph needs to step in and tell him how to run the defense. Aggressive works, passive doesn't.

Obi should be benched.