Jet Lag: Terps' 12th Man?

This might be something or it might be nothing, but apparently Cal isn't traveling for Saturday's game until Friday, which isn't that unusual except that it's a coast-to-coast trip with a noon kickoff. Eric and I were speculating yesterday about when the Golden Bears would make the trip, and we both figured, given the kickoff, it would be Thursday. But I found this item from the San Jose Mercury-News' Jon Wilner, who doesn't seem to think it's going to make much difference. I had hoped to provide the link but after 25 minutes of wrestling with the paper's Web site (which included two re-starts of my computer and a painful site registration process), I'll just give you the relevant excerpt:

Interestingly, the Bears (2-0) will travel Friday, not Thursday, despite the early kickoff. That looked like a huge gamble on Tedford's part until Maryland's results started rolling in: The Terps barely beat Delaware in their season opener, then lost to Middle Tennessee State. Only a massive letdown and failure to get Jahvid Best out of bed will prevent the Bears from improving to 3-0.

Also, in my morning search for Cal football news, I came across this almost entirely unrelated story that you likely won't see in College Park anytime soon: the construction of a $124 million athletic center on the Berkeley campus being delayed by protesters refusing to leave a redwood tree scheduled to be cut down to clear the site. I don't remember that when Comcast Center was built.

By Matthew Rennie  |  September 9, 2008; 9:04 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Can Maryland Slow Best?
Next: The Hot Seat

Comments

Very dumb on their part. That cross country flight going east is a killer. For them, it will be like playing football at 9 in the morning. You heard it here first: Terps in an upset!

Posted by: V | September 9, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I'll take any advantage we can get - that being said, it may translate to a respectable score, but I'm still not optimistic about a Terps victory. I've seen nothing in the first two games to lead me to believe we can hold a team that just scored 60+ points. I'd love to be wrong on this one though! Go Terps!

Posted by: TerpGrad | September 9, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

One would hope the team is drilling a lot harder this week and with a lot more focus. One way or another we'll know by 3:30 Saturday.

There weren't any protests about the Concastle because there was nothing there to begin with. I sued to park in that formerly baren area. Oddly enough the greenhouses were meet with some protests until they moved the site due to the original site being a tree-filled riverbank area.

Posted by: EricS | September 9, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

At Berkeley you can get graduate school credits for tree-hugging and protesting.

Posted by: Terpin | September 9, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Can we arrange for a tubercular consumptive to be on Cal's flight also? Because we are going to need more than just jet lag to pull off the W.

Posted by: Lindemann | September 9, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if any of the hurricane weahter moving north this weekend will cause them any delays. I would hate for them to be stuck in there plane all cramped up for a couple hours on a runway somewhere. poor lil fellers

Posted by: Lee | September 9, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Tells you how bad things look when jetlag is something anyone would consider an issue or a factor in this game????!!!!! C'mon people. Controlling the clock and the ball with a big running game, no turnovers and hardnosed defense is the only way Maryland wins this game. Cal can't score if their offense is not on the field much. Maryland needs a 2/3 split in time of possession and flawless defensive play. Anything else (including jetlag) and this game will be a disaster.

Posted by: virtueandvice | September 9, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

The University of California is recognized as the one of the two or three best state universities in the country academically, if not the best.

I believe Apple genius Steve Wozniak graduated from Cal.

However, their coach may not be applying the Ivory Tower wisdom from Berkeley. Anyone who has traveled coast to coast realizes that the time difference can adversely affect your energy level. I think the time difference affects a person to a larger degree when you travel from west to east.

That said, unless the Terps transform into the motivated, cohesive unit we haven't seen yet, this game could get ugly.

Posted by: Charles | September 9, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse