More on Terps-U-Va. Rivalry

Everyone always hypes up this rivalry the week of the Maryland-Virginia game, and I have done the same in the past. I have had my doubts about the intensity of this rivalry, but it was clear from talking to players and coaches today that there are genuine hard feelings. I included some of these quotes in the notebook that will run in tomorrow’s paper.

“This rivalry is no joke,” said Maryland linebacker Moise Fokou. “Dirty plays, trash talking --- the strongest will is what will survive.”

I also remember the 2003 game between Maryland and Virginia, which was the first game I covered at The Post. During warm-ups, then-receivers coach James Franklin and Al Groh got into it near field. They were waving their arms and everything, and an official had to step in. Then a high school senior, Edwin Williams said he recalled the incident and said it fired him up.

Maryland players had no dislike for Middle Tennessee players. But they do harbor some animosity for everything U-Va. related. That tells me that the Terrapins are unlikely to have a letdown when they take the field. Everyone agree?

“It’s going to be another Middle Tennessee if they don’t know what they are going into,” Coach Ralph Friedgen said about Saturday’s game.

(I’ll have an interesting blog entry about Friedgen’s thoughts on message boards tomorrow once I type it out.)

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 30, 2008; 8:46 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Injury Update: Moten Out 4-5 Weeks
Next: Groh-ing Pains at U-Va.

Comments

Never doubt this Terrapin team's ability to lose focus. They can say they'll be up for Virginia all they want, and I desperately want to believe them. But show it on the field, not when speaking to the media.

Posted by: Lindemann | September 30, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I hope they're up for this one and they make somebody lose another meal on the field early. I HATE UVg, and I absolutely hope Ralph lets the boys know how much they should hate them as well. Pay back for last year is a must and I want it to be embarrassing.

Posted by: NOT our RI val | September 30, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

It's a continual source of shame to me that I was born in Virginia.

Posted by: Colm | October 1, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

I hope the UVA student body wears their beloved ties to the game. If Duke can put 30-plus on them, they're going to need something to wipe their tears away once Hey-Bey and company gets finished with those preppy elitists.

Posted by: Chris Downs | October 1, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

It was a long time ago, the 60's I think, before we had too many bowl games. But I still remember a so-so UVA team beating a very good UMD to knock us out of a bowl bid. The UVA fans waved hankies at the Terps as they left the field. Crush them.

Posted by: ewg | October 1, 2008 5:50 AM | Report abuse

I hope they give Groh another long extension...love the guy...he's perfect for the swayin sissies!! For that matter, hope Bowden stays on in Death Valley as well!

Posted by: BooVA | October 1, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Being raised in NOVA (northern VA), I don't root for UVA. They are not my local team. There are two local team I root for which is UMD and GU (I know this is a UMD blog but hey i speak the truth). So forget UVA and GO TERPS

Posted by: Monty | October 1, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

There is way too much history and bad memories between these teams for anyone to overlook the other.

2001:
We punched them right in the face that day. Bruce Perry was all over the field making plays. I remember their freshman DE Chris Canty (Dallas Cowboys) being knocked out on the Kickoff Coverage and being helped off field

2002:
We had a shot to win the ACC but the only play that matters is Scooter droping the deep pass that would have been a TD

2003: Josh Allen ran wild that windy, cold Thur night

2004: Ugly Terps showing. Even Merriman got knocked around in that 16-0 loss

2005: Lance Ball had over 160 yds on the ground and the black jerseys made their debut. Vernon was a beast.

2006: What a comeback! Erin with the INT, LAttimore with the big run and Wilson with the game saving pass breakup

2007: Horrible refs and bad rush defense cost us this one. 1st down my foot. Simpson looked like Pat white out there.

2008: We are going to step on their throats. Scott and Green both go over 100 yds.

Posted by: BuddhaUMD | October 1, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I don't think the Terps will forget last year when we were ROBBED by the refs who gave Simpson a first down he wasn't even close to getting. I think the Wahoos will be ready to play but the Terps will win in a close game. GO TERPS!

Posted by: V | October 1, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

"I don't think the Terps will forget last year when we were ROBBED by the refs who gave Simpson a first down he wasn't even close to getting. I think the Wahoos will be ready to play but the Terps will win in a close game."

Don't forget the Terps COUGHED up a 13-0 lead in that game, which they dominated in the first half. Officials are not responsible for teams playing only 30 minutes, when the game is 60 Minutes. That is what happened last Saturday as we were handed a game we had no business winning, and we had better be focused Saturday because UVA has nothing to play for but pride at this point.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I agree that we lost focus in the second half last year like we did in many games, but there's no denying that the game is over if the referee didn't make an absolutely terrible call on that spot. With that said, Maryland needs to stop playing up or down to its competition and just play the best they can each game.

Posted by: MLinDc | October 1, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I hope the players aren’t just talking the talk about being up for the game and they come out and stay fired up for 60 minutes.

I love to hate UVA and Groh. I remember many occasions where his players have taken cheap shots at opposing players, I specifically recall them going after a banged up Bruce Perry and getting a couple late hit calls at Byrd years ago.

This is a big rivalry game that is important for bragging rights and recruiting. I agree with some of the other posts, stick it to those preppie UVA elitist! GO TERPS!

Posted by: kdc | October 1, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

This game needs to be returned to its rightful place. The end of the regular season.

Posted by: Elwood | October 1, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

It's a continual source of shame to me that I was born in Virginia.

Posted by: Colm | October 1, 2008 12:01 AM

Your birth is a continual source of shame to all Virginians, so you are not that unique.

Posted by: Ho ho ho | October 2, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse