QB Unrest at Clemson

Let's see if this sounds familiar: Starting quarterback performs below expectations, his team loses an early-season nonconference game, and fans voice desires for coach to give backup a try.

OK, it's not exactly a parallel situation. Clemson lost to Alabama, not MIddle Tennessee State. The Tigers entered the season with extremely lofty expectations, not cautious optimism. And their backup, Willy Korn, is a freshman, not someone who beat two ranked teams last season as Chris Turner did.

Nonetheless, with their offense still sluggish through four games (65th in division I-A in rushing, 44th in passing, 56th overall), Clemson fans would like to give Korn a shot instead of incumbent Cullen Harper, though Coach Tommy Bowden remains unmoved.

ā€œIā€™m not worried about creating a controversy," Bowden told The State on Sunday. "The controversy is only created by the media and fans, and I surely am not making a decision based on either one of those.ā€

Bowden might prefer a QB shuffle to some of the other changes some Tigers fans have suggested.

Regardless of who's behind center, the line in front of him continues to change because of injuries Maryland has had problems with injuries over the past few seasons, but I can't remember the Terps losing anyone to a scooter accident So the Terps have that going for them, which is nice...

By Matthew Rennie  |  September 22, 2008; 10:20 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps Scoring too Fast?
Next: Tar Heels' T.J. Yates Out for Six Weeks

Comments

Clemson fans have to be some of the least-informed most-overrated fans in college sports.

"Death Valley" my ass.

Posted by: Grant | September 22, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

"65th in division I-A in rushing, 44th in passing, 56th overall"

Seems like they should be complaining more about their running game than the QB situation.

The real situation is the line, both for them and us. If MD gets zero pass rush then their passing game will pick apart our secondary. If we don't move their line on the run then they will go over us. The line looked tame this past week, a definite let down for me coming off Cal.

Posted by: ckstevenson | September 22, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"65th in division I-A in rushing, 44th in passing, 56th overall"

Posted by: ckstevenson | September 22, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"65th in division I-A in rushing, 44th in passing, 56th overall"

Posted by: ckstevenson | September 22, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"65th in division I-A in rushing, 44th in passing, 56th overall"

Posted by: ckstevenson | September 22, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse