Questions for Cosh

This is to address Paco's question because he rightfully asked why I did not ask why the defensive backs played off the MTSU's receivers and why they gave them so much room. Unfortunately, I only got to ask Cosh two questions during yesterday's interview; there were a lot of reporters around asking about many issues. I asked about the miscommunication and about Cal's offense. I will ask Friedgen about giving receivers too much space either today or tomorrow. If anyone has any more questions that I should ask Ralph, please comment here.

And in reference to another reader, I graduated from Rutgers, not Fresno State. I covered Fresno State for three years during the always fun Jerry Tarkanian years. But, yes, I have always had a West Coast bias when it comes food, travel and college campuses.

Okay, time to talk to Jahvid Best and then off to College Park...

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 10, 2008; 2:52 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friedgen: Cal Does What We Do, Only Better
Next: A Chat with 'Little Reggie Bush'

Comments

Ask Ralph when he's gonna fire Cosh ;)

Posted by: Sam | September 10, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

At the beginning of the year it was mentioned that Fridge might use Merit stickers on helmets as a way to mark achievements. Is that happening? During Saturday's game some players had stickers on their helmets that I hadn't seen before but I couldn't make out what they were.

Posted by: JFront10 | September 10, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Eric, please ask why we do not use the QB run option any more. We had great success with Hill and McBrien using it and they just stopped with Statham and have never tried to implement it since.

thx

Posted by: Scott | September 10, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

In the past under Blackney, our defense was much, much more aggressive in terms of blitzing and trying to create havoc in the backfield. I remember during the Fridge's first 3 years, it seems like we blitzed almost every down and oftentimes were successful. it seems like under Cosh, we have moved to a read-and-react defense. Can you ask the Fridge if he believes that the previous statement is true and if so, why we have made this change?

Posted by: V | September 10, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Eric!! Don't feed the NC troll! Let 'em think you went to Fresno... he can't think beyond Southern California.

Posted by: Young Blue | September 10, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Scott and V both mentioned the 2 questions that I would want answered possibly more than any other:

-The blitzing issue under blackney vs cosh
-Why no more qb option?

Posted by: Valid Q's | September 10, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Ask them why they were not able to make any adjustements what-so-ever in the last game? It seemed like the team was restricted in certains areas because of the coaching staff's inability to change some of the game plan. Also ask why they played into MTSU's hands all night.

Posted by: Brad | September 10, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Cosh's defense is not fitting for the college football today. He did the same thing last year. Cornerbacks off the receivers and they get eaten alive with the quick slant and wave goodbye. 3 man down and yes no pass rush again. We are under weight and don't have any rush. Lasdt weekend the QB sat back and had a couple of gin and tonics and never got sacked. Get Cosh out of here with his pansy laid back defense. Let the players use their advantages.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse