Reggie Bush vs. Little Bush

If you have not watched Cal's Jahvid Best, check him out in some of these clips from his high school days out in Richmond, Calif. And then compare him to the legendary clips of Reggie Bush in high school at Helix High in San Diego.

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 12, 2008; 9:40 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Approval Ratings
Next: Predictions, Anyone?

Comments

with these two videos, I hardly see any comparison at all. the comparison I can make is that they both have the ability to take it to the endzone on each play, but they achieve it in completely different ways.

Best will take the ball and out-run everyone to the endzone. he might break a tackle here or there, but mostly he goes north-south and out-runs everyone.

Bush doesn't appear as fast as Best, but he beats you with his tackle-breaking and East-West ability.

Perhaps a better comparison would be Steve Slaton or Noel Devine? Or maybe there just is no comparison. Either way, Best appears to be a beast...

Posted by: Sam | September 12, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Wondering if the weather might really be working in the Terps favor on this one. Slow sloppy track should favor our big slow o line. Should slow Best down a bit too. I know MD is fast but it might be an idea ot pull a Patriots on this one. Field looks dry today, could use some water...

Posted by: Lee | September 12, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

i kind of agree with you now about the comparison, but remember, the people who made the comparison, those at Cal, know what Bush is all about. Best has super speed. But Bush's high school highlight tape is simply unreal. Bush in high school was much better than I even remember him being, super elusive. That said, I really look forward to seeing Best and how Maryland plans to slow him down.

Posted by: Prisbell | September 12, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I think the comprison is more about how they use him than what he is.

Posted by: Lee | September 12, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Cal fan here. I've watched both play, and I think Best will end up having similar highlights to Bush when it's all said and done. Bush matured physically a lot earlier than Best, which is why their HS film looks different. I think Best hits the hole faster than Bush. The difference is Bush was more of a polished tailback early on than Best is now. But I think he'll get there. Check out my Cal blog for some pre-game reading: http://thebearwillnotquit.blogspot.com/

Posted by: SDGoldenBear | September 12, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Best throwing up green crap at Byrd Stadium is his newest Youtube hit. You can thank Kevin Barnes for that.

Posted by: the bri-man | September 14, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse