The Approval Ratings

Okay, the Terps are 1-1 and fans have mixed feelings, to say the least, about Ralph Friedgen, Chris Cosh and James Franklin. Let me know how pleased you are with the job each has done since each was named to his current position. That means take into account all eight years with Ralph, all two plus years with Cosh as defensive coordinator, and all of two games with Franklin as offensive coordinator. Vote early and often!

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 12, 2008; 7:06 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Price Tag For Delaware
Next: Reggie Bush vs. Little Bush

Comments

EP You should ask about our feelings about the Fridge since 2003. FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP | September 12, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I thought about asking about Fridge since 2003, but it would have been obvious what the results would be. I don't think that would be completely fair. I could have also asked about feelings toward Fridge just this season, but that also would have been predictable. Take into account everything, but know that those first three seasons were a while ago.

Posted by: PrisbellI | September 12, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I can't imagine Chris Cosh being back next year.

Posted by: Steve | September 12, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Approval Ratings
The Terps have started the football season 0-2. How do you rate the coaching performance?

umm, we're actually 1-1, not 0-2, sure we lost a very winnable game but like UMD vs. NW Ill.road game a few years back these aren't easy wins. I'm a "terp for life" but it's clear we're not on the same tier as the big boys...

Posted by: mike | September 12, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Steve, that's what I thought after last year, but Cosh is back so go figure... :-/

Posted by: Sam | September 12, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I think the poll results were somewhat predictable. Like Eric said, if Ralph was judged based on the last 4 years then it would have been a landslide against him. Obviously, it is too early to make a decision on Franklin and i think he is hurt by high expectations. He was brought in as the savior to take the burden of Ralph and bring back the offensive success MD had in the first three years of Ralph. So far, the west coast looks like a bad fit for the personnel. To me, MD is a play action throw deep team that grinds it out on the ground. West Coast needs an accurate QB who makes quick decisions and can read the defense. I dont see how anyone can be happy with Cosh. It seems most successful defenses are aggressive and Cosh is following Blackney who did a very good job while here. Maybe they should of let Sollazo had a crack at defensive coordinater a couple years ago. He certainly looks aggressive enough.

Posted by: zman | September 12, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I coached high school football in Md for 20 years.I still talk with alot of the coaches. Maryland does a horrible job recuiting in the state.A great example is Penn St.taking away many of our top athletes.The last four years of Ralph's record speaks for itself.Is it time for a change in coaching?

Posted by: Ray | September 12, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

The more and more I see the Freidgen era unfold, the less I believe that he is the solution. It seems that he can not recruit with the big boys of the ACC. Now, after these two games I am wondering if he will be able to recruit with lesser programs even as the talent spreads due to generational dynamics

Posted by: terpperp | September 12, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

We haven't had a first class QB since McBrien. I think the recruiting at the other positions is ok, but dreadful at QB. A Dick Shiner or Boomer Esaison would make the offense work.
There was a time when 5 former Maryland QBs were in the NFL at the same time.
Remember Joe Krivak? The one thing he was really good at was developing a QB.

Posted by: BigJ | September 12, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

The main point of this is that Friedgen and his staff have done a mediocre job of running this program the last five years and it shows in the recruiting and the coaching. This program has not adjusted to the expanded ACC very well, and it is in real danger of being surpassed by Duke in football (yes, I said Duke University and I despise the Blue Devils with a passion), like Wake Forest has the last couple of years. We need to wake up and start finding solutions quick before we become the joke of the ACC, which would not make me very happy.

Posted by: Elwood | September 12, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

During the last four years of Friegen's tenure as coach, I've noticed a GREAT dropoff of talent.....It appears to me that he doesn't have the accumen to be a good recruiter or coach on this level. His first years were successful do to players that were recruited by his predecessor - Mark Duffner. I don't see this team winning over 4 games this season and that in itself shows that it is definitely time for a coaching change.

Posted by: dhawk01 | September 12, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

are you serious? How do you think we feel about the coaching so far this season?

Posted by: p1funk | September 12, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"During the last four years of Friegen's tenure as coach, I've noticed a GREAT dropoff of talent....." this really is just an absurd statement. Fridge brought in Merriman, Davis, Foxworth, Williams, Scott and Heyward Bey who both look to be NFL players. Compared to Shuan Hill and EJ Henderson.

Posted by: Lee | September 12, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

As a TERP alum, I have been disappointed in Maryland recruiting for years. It seems the recruiting staff is content to go after players in areas that do not produce the best high school programs. In addition, too many local players are going to other schools. Maryland should go more into the ACC states so the players can play in front of family and friends.

Posted by: MPIXTON | September 12, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

If anybody watched the North Carolina game then they saw the product of good coaching and better recruiting. They seem to be on the rise while we're stagnant or even sinking. Why would we recruit a RB from Georgia? Why, like Ray suggested, do we allow Penn St. to steal our prospects? We lost a fantastic DB from the area to Florida recently and now another one may be going north to Penn. A good LB may also be heading that way. Whoa!!

Posted by: kublacon20716 | September 12, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I think he spends more time EATING than coaching. Theres no way he can spend a decent amount of time watching film to study the other team or holding meetings long enough without a plate of food in front of him!

Posted by: MDZ28Driver | September 12, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Fire the fridge, recruit and re-build!

Posted by: terpsfan | September 12, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

MDZ28Driver grow up buddy!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Fire the fridge, recruit and re-build!

Posted by: terpsfan | September 12, 2008 12:22 PM

Please turn in your Terps replica jersey at the stadium tomorrow. Your fanship is no longer wanted.

terpsfan or anyone else who thinks we should "fire fridge" needs to find a new team to bandwagon.

Posted by: Rudes | September 12, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Rudes,

They are asking for opinions not kool aid drinkers. The Terps have been my team for years but this is ugly. We ARE losing some very good players to other schools and the team looks average at best. In college ball if you fail to land players, its the coaches fault. As much as i hate to say it, because I remember Fridges first few years here, it is very possible it is time for him to go.

Posted by: bishop | September 12, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

dhawk Check the HISTORY BOOKS for your comment on the "Duff". FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP | September 12, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

The two coordinators that the AD "helped hire" don't seem to have done as well as the two the coach initially hired...

Posted by: Dr. Bill | September 12, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse