Tommy Bowden: Clemson a Beat Up Football Team

Tommy Bowden a tad less entertaining than his father, which was expected. Tommy called his Clemson team a “very beat up football team,” especially after more players got banged up in practice this week. When asked to elaborate on the latest injuries, Bowden said he would not because “you can scheme people if we identify them early.” He said he would meet with his sports information director and decide how to release the information. I scribbled these sentences down in my spiral notebook with particular interest.

Bowden said his team “didn’t show up” against Alabama in the opener. Seems like that happens at least once a year with Bowden’s squad at Clemson. But it also happened with Maryland this season at Middle Tennessee State.

Bowden said his No. 1 priority is to stop Maryland’s running game because Da’Rel Scott is the nation’s fifth-leading rusher. “Got to make them one-dimensional,” Bowden said.

Bowden also really raved about Darrius Heyward-Bey. Now, coaches and reporters rave about opposing players each week, you know how that is, and some people can make someone like Cal’s Jahvid Best seem like the second-coming of Reggie Bush, which is off base. But Bowden’s praise of Heyward-Bey seemed sincere. He said when he hears from pro scouts, the one receiver they talk most about in the conference is Heyward-Bey. Bowden said Heyward-Bey is a lot more polished this season. He can accelerate better in and out of cuts. He has good “body lean and body mannerisms.”

Simple question: How good is Heyward-Bey right now? Only one of the best WR in the league? The best? One of the best in the country?

By Eric Prisbell  |  September 24, 2008; 12:24 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bobby Bowden on Point Spreads
Next: Cosh Talks Clemson

Comments

When I watch him play and watch Maclin play the only difference is Missouri makes sure Maclin gets 10 touches a game on offense. That and Maclin returns kicks.

Posted by: Lee | September 24, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Prediction:

Clemson -- 48
Maryland -- 17

Maryland will finish with a 4-8 record (good for last place in the ACC - even behind Duke).

I am happy that Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin.

Jelani Jenkins, Travis Hawkins and Isaac Holmes will be signing with the University of Florida.

Go Tar Heels !

Posted by: Gary | September 24, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Honestly I think talent-wise he is probably in the top 3 in the country. But people will never really know since we only get him 5 touches a game at most.

He needs to be getting closer to 10 a game. He averages over 20 a pop whether he is getting the ball through the air or on a reverse.

Posted by: Hey Bey Bey | September 24, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Gary is an insecure Gator fan? FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP | September 24, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I am not an insecure Gator fan. I am an insecure Village People fan. I just bash on Maryland because I got kicked off the team 9 years ago for hitting on other guys while in the showers. I actually really like Maryland and I wish that Tavon Austin, Jelani Jenkins, Travis Hawkins, and Isaac Holmes all went to Maryland so that I could pretend to hate on them too. I am sorry for all of you people that are being subjected to my ridiculous post on the Washington Post website. Please forgive me. Go Terps. Beat Clemson. UMD = Orange Bowl Champions.

Posted by: gary | September 24, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I'M AFRAIDANOTHER TEAMS ADJUSTMENTS CLEMSON'S ASSISTANTS ARE NOT ABLE TO PRODUCE A GOOD GAME PLAN, AND THEY ARE U

NABLE TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS TO COUNTER AN OPONENTS ADJUSTMENTS. I FEEL OUR ASSISTANT COACHES ARE DIRECTLY RESPOSIBLE FOR BOTH OF OUR LOSES: WE HAVE THE TALENT TO BE UNDEFEATED THIS SEASON.

Posted by: SAM E. SMITH, JR. | October 1, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse