Virginia or MTSU: Which Would Hurt Worse?

Things I probably should have realized by now considering we try to cover this program: Through the first month of the season, Virginia has the worst scoring offense in the country. Not the ACC, mind you. The country. 119th in division I-A with nine points per game. I knew the Cavaliers were struggling. I have been telling people that they will be fortunate to win another game. But I didn't realize just how bleak it has been until I looked at the numbers more closely.

Among the Cavaliers' other dubious claims:

• They're 118th in total offense with 251.25 yards per game (edging out Florida International, which has just 196.25 -- good grief!)
  • They're 117th in rushing offense with 66 yards per game (beating out San Diego State and SMU).
  • And if you're going to struggle to move the ball, you might as well just give it away: Virginia is 113th in turnover margin, having turned it over 14 times (five fumbles, nine interceptions) and taken it away just seven times (two fumbles, five interceptions).

So with that established, I submit that Maryland losing Saturday would have the feel of a bigger upset than the Middle Tennessee loss. I know, it's ridiculous to compare losing to an ACC team with losing to a bad Sun Belt team. That's true, but consider this: How high were your expectations entering the Middle Tennessee game? The Terps had just come off a lackluster win over Delaware, the quarterback situation was unsettled, only the most optimistic fans could have envisioned wins over Cal and at Clemson on the horizon. So the loss in Murfreesboro, while shocking, seemed to signal the beginning of a bad season, or at least one in which the Terps would once again flirt with either side of .500.

But now, everything has changed. Contending for a division title seems possible. The team, though far from flawless, seems to be building the confidence required to win close games. All that changes again if Maryland somehow loses to Virginia. That's why I feel like a loss Saturday would be more deflating than the loss in Murfreesboro.

By Matthew Rennie  |  September 30, 2008; 9:15 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In ACC, Plenty of Hot Seats to go Around
Next: Punting: A Friedgen Tradition

Comments

A loss to VA Sat would erase those wins over Cal and Clemson. After a close win over Clemson, our game against VA has the potential to be a let-down game. Up to the coaches to keep the players focused. I want revenge from last yr's loss.

Posted by: cbs | September 30, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

If we lose to Virginia given where Virginia is right now we might as well forfit the rest of the season. We may not destroy them, but we dang well betetr win.

Posted by: EricS | September 30, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Losing to VA...

They are the worst offense team in the county (as mention) and you can't lose to a rivial at home.

Terps Big

35 - 17 (i am being nice about the 17 for VA)

Posted by: Monty | September 30, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

A UVa loss would hurt more. The difference being that now we have hope that the Terps are actually good. Before MTSU, we did not have that hope. I think it will be close but the Terps will win.

Posted by: V | September 30, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

UVA, most definitely. An ACC loss is worse than an OOC loss every time.

Posted by: Greg | September 30, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Prediction:

Virginia 49 Maryland 2

Maryland will finish 4-8

I am glad Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin or Darrius-Heyward Bey.

I predict Isaac Holmes, Travis Hawkins, and Da'Rel Scott will sign with Florida.

Go Duke!

Posted by: Gary | September 30, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Seriously why do you wast your time on here Gary? Just go have your imaginary circle jerks w/ Tavon Austin and Coach K. No one cares about any thing you have to say on here and after this comment I will never post regarding you again. I mean there must be some thing else to do in your mother's basement besides post on a blog that you have no interest in. Pathetic!

Posted by: Gary still lives w/ his mother | September 30, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Of course a loss to Virginia would be worse. We are trying to win a conference championship. MTSU means nothing now. It's all about getting to Tampa and having a chance to play in the Orange Bowl

Posted by: virtueandvice | September 30, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone else actually read Gary's posts? I'm assuming it's satire considering he says Da'Rel Scott will sign with Florida, and he's glad that Maryland is no longer recruiting Darrius Heyward-Bey. I guess his record predicition will have to change if we win another game this year. I'm glad we got enough credit in his prediction to not get shut out (49-2), and we'll muster a safety.

-- The Big Texas

Posted by: The Big Texas | September 30, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Big Tx, I have much experience dealing with these "Internet tough guys" on Maryland Message Boards. Ignore them and they will go away. FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP | September 30, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

We all know that upsets do occur. Maryland has had its annual early season upset loss. The idea that Va. could beat this oncoming, improving team is ludicrous.:Md.38-Va.14 ,no possibility here of the upset Gary would love.

Posted by: Win | September 30, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

A loss to UVA would be worse cuz it would be a conference loss (and of course, a loss to a bad team).

Also, it would mean a missed opportunity to get another ACC road win. If we were to win @ UVA and simply take care of business at home w/ our ACC games, that would make us at least 6-2 in the ACC, and that may be good enough to win our division after all is said and done. Lose @ UVA and that changes to 5-3.

The MTSU loss obviously sucks, but at least we're still undefeated in the conference...

Posted by: Sam | September 30, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I just figured it out: Gary is that little boy that was crying after the Terps beat Duke in bball a couple years ago. Good to see your all growns up. And thanks for giving us the 2 points for the safety Gary!

Posted by: V | September 30, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Why are we discussing the possibility of a loss to one of the worst teams in D-1? The same team that just got waxed by Duke 31-3? We're going to destroy UVA this weekend.

Posted by: Pete in AZ | October 1, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse