Friedgen: I am Not Reaching Players

Just got back from the Maryland locker room. Ralph Friedgen, frankly, seemed out of answers. He said he is not reaching the players. He said they lacked focus. You know how it is, they have been through this before, like last month in Murfreesboro. But this loss was even more damaging for the Terps. Time to finish my game story with quotes, but I'll be back later.

Maryland can win or lose any game left on its schedule.

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 4, 2008; 10:50 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Is This Game Over?
Next: Ten Things We Learned

Comments

Just wanted to thank all the terp fans for the trash talk before the game.

Your team was fun. Send them down again soon.

Posted by: ho ho ho | October 4, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

If you look at several teams at Maryland, whether it's football or basketball, lacrosse or soccer, it seems like the team plays up to top competition, or plays lousy against weak teams. This is a problem within Maryland athletics itself. And though I don't think Debbie Yow is the source, I honestly wonder what is the cause of this bipolar performance at the university over the past five years.

Posted by: Brendan | October 4, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cosh 4 life...

Posted by: Sam | October 4, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Lose to two of the worst teams in the country and make a 4th string qb look like an All AMERICAN. Cosh needs to go because you live and die with the defense. The biggest factor of the game never got the ball. That is total neglect when your best weapon becomes extinct. There is no excuse for that; NONE.

Posted by: Jack | October 4, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

"And if you're Virginia Coach Al Groh, this ain't your first are-you-worried-about-your-job rodeo? And still there's nothing quite like the blood's-in-the-water phenomenon of a coach and program circling the drain before it gets out of September,,
by Matt Rennie

Hey Matt Rennie:

And if you're Maryland Coach Ralph Friedgen, this ain't your first are-you-worried-about-your-job rodeo? And still there's nothing quite like the blood's-in-the-water phenomenon of a coach and program circling the drain before it gets out of October,,,

Ho ho Ho

Posted by: Ho Ho Ho | October 4, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

This is why I laughed at Eric's notion last week that longtime knowledgeable fans of the program were prematurely judging Ralph and his staff. Instead, it was Eric who prematurely thought Ralph had arrived. We've seen enough mismanagement and inconsistencies to Know that Ralph doesn't reach the players and doesn't know how to scheme to their strengths. The gameplanning is horrible and it takes any aggressiveness out of the players. Cosh should be fired immediately...he has no business being a DC and apparently been fired from every job. Ralph is grossly overpaid and is only saved by the graces of the buy-out being too expensive for his poor production. Franklin is overrated.

Posted by: MLinDC | October 4, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Suck it, twerps.

Posted by: JD | October 4, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

The Terps have gone from the inexplicable to the inexcusable. Time to retire, Ralph.

Posted by: kgb | October 4, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Even if they make it to a bowl game, who in their right mind would go? I'm sure next season those new suites will look nice and shiny and stay that way cuz nobody will be in them until changes aren't made. I mean, if we're lucky, maybe Fridge will finally fire all of himself and not just part of himself.

Posted by: d'oh | October 4, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

*edit, meant to say until changes are made!

Posted by: d'oh | October 5, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Ralph, you're so past being irrelevant. Get over it. Stop whining about not reaching the players.

His obstinate, narrow-minded coaching style is causing his players to tune him out. Wait, this happened last year too.

I knew he didn't have a clue when he was raving about Steffy. I mean come on!

Posted by: Charles | October 5, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

What really irritates me about RF is that he puts certain players in a dog house because of a personal bias against them.

Despite being down 31-0, RF stubbornly refrains from using Josh Portis for anything but a running back.

Let's see if the kid can play!

Posted by: Charles | October 5, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

...then he needs to resign.

Posted by: If that's the case... | October 5, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

I just can't believe we can't get the ball to DHB. We also cant stop anybody. RF should go, this thing is over his head.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

It's tough to hear Ralph citing the same problem week after week when that problem should clearly be within his power to correct. Otherwise, why have a head coach?

As I said in the other thread, I have officially jumped onto the fire-Ralph bandwagon. Maybe I'll hop off when I calm down in a couple months.

Posted by: Lindemann | October 5, 2008 7:27 AM | Report abuse

FIRE COACH COSH

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I loved this result.

Virginia -- 31
Maryland -- 0 (zero - zip - zilch - nada)

Maryland's - Defensive and Offensive lines and Linebacking corp are the worst in College Football.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

Maryland's recruiting efforts are going to take a major hit with this result.

Prediction:

Wake Forest -- 34
Maryland -- 10

Maryland will finish with a 5-7 record.

I am happy that Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin.

Jelani Jenkins, Travis Hawkins and Isaac Holmes will be signing with the University of Florida.

Go Tar Heels !