Friedgen to O-line: Produce or Sit

We go through this each week: The offensive line was supposed to be one of the ACC’s strongest. But it has been nothing if not inconsistent. The Terps were fortunate to win last week even though the line made several miscues and blocked poorly against the run. Ralph Friedgen said players need to step up or they will sit down.

“I saw some better signs from the offensive line; we moved some people around,” said Ralph Friedgen, who declined to specify the shifts on the line. “If we don’t start producing, I’ll make changes.”

The o-line is a veteran group. Are there any changes you think should be made right now? I remember right tackle Dane Randolph delivering a strong block to help spring Darrius Heyward-Bey on the 76-yard reverse against Clemson. Coaches have praised Edwin Williams, who is about as vocal of a leader as the offense has right now. Who else has played well? Who hasn’t?

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 2, 2008; 1:15 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Perez at Linebacker
Next: Poll: Palin, Biden and Football

Comments

I think Scott not being 100% added greatly to the apparent poor run-blocking. The pass protection was great. No sacks, plenty of time to find receivers. So in that sense I feel like the Line is doing more than enough.

Part of the issue is the playcalling. If we are running out of double TE sets, the D is able to stack the box and it makes finding holes more difficult. If we were to run out of spread sets more often (a la WVU in recent years) then I think Scott and co. would be able to find the holes they need.

Posted by: LudaCHRIS | October 2, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Eric, I don't have a comment, but an addimetedly premature question I was hoping you could address: Even though they haven't produced as expected, this year's team has a ton of seniors. Taking a second to look ahead to next year, should we be concerned about the team's overwhelming youth? How many seniors will the team have next year? It would be a shame to go from what appears - at the moment - to be a great year to sliding right back to a 'rebuilding' phase.

Posted by: Steven F | October 2, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

On MD's athletic site, the game is listed as 7pm and on ESPNU. On Comcast's site, it's a 12pm game on FOX. So which is it?

Posted by: cbs | October 2, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Phil Costa....

The guy looked like the best olineman on the team until Clemson where he just couldn't figure out the snap count, false starting 3 times...

I don't get why everyone is up in arms about the oline.

They looked great against Del, Cal and EMU. We had issues on run blocking at Clemson and false starts.

Clemson couldn't get a solid pass rush on us all day and they have some superquick DEs in Sapp and Bowers.

I think Da'Rel Scott may have been trying to break some open rather than get the sure 4 yard in some cases against Clemson.

They will maul UVA this week.

Posted by: BuddhaUMD | October 2, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'll believe that when I see it.

If things were so bad last week then why not try someone else then instead of waiting until this week to threaten reduced playing time?

Posted by: TerpDad | October 2, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Produce or sit is the mantra of any decent team.

Posted by: DONMAC | October 3, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse