Friedgen's Best Wins

We take requests here at Terrapins Insider. Fredneck asked for a discussion about Friedgen’s best wins, so let’s have at it. Here is my list, but please chime in with disagreements or other nominees:

1) Gator Bowl, Jan. 1, 2004: Maryland 41, West Virginia 7

2) Oct. 30, 2004: Maryland 20, No. 5 Florida State 17

3) Peach Bowl, Dec. 31, 2002: Maryland 30, Tennessee 3

4) Nov. 17, 2001: Maryland 23, North Carolina State 19

5) Nov. 22, 2003: Maryland 26, North Carolina State 24

Honorable mention: Maryland 20, Clemson 17 (2008)

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 7, 2008; 1:13 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: McCain, Obama and Football
Next: Scott Named to Maxwell Award List

Comments

2007 season: maryland v. boston college.

Posted by: umd07 | October 7, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

October 14, 2006
Maryland 28, Virginia 26

Great comeback win!

Posted by: billotch | October 7, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

MD vs UVA Oct 1, 2005

Posted by: Lee | October 7, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I'll go with #3, the win over Tennessee, because that was the first win over a highly-ranked opponent during RF's tenure. It also solidified the reputation that the Maryland football program had basically arrived after a moribund decade.

I believe the previous year the Terps had been trounced by Florida in the Gator Bowl.

Posted by: Charles | October 7, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Oops, sorry, the Orange Bowl.

Posted by: Charles | October 7, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, the good old days! Thanks for taking me on a stroll down memory lane Eric! Keep up the good work. Hopefully this poll will refresh some of the fairweather fans' memories that read this blog....

Posted by: Fredneck | October 7, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

That 2003 win at NC State (i believe in Rivers's last game against MD - against whom he went 0-4) was one of the most exciting games I've ever watched. The missed PAT by Novak with less than 2-min. to go, and then LeRoy Ambush (a fellow fredneck) completely blowing up T.A. McClendon to force the fumble and then Novak redeeming himself with a long FG as time expired! Great stuff.

Posted by: Fredneck | October 7, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I'll go with the FIRST win in 2001 vs. North Carolina, 31-7. I did not know what was going to happen in that game. The excitement built from there.

Posted by: Elwood | October 7, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Its a toss up between 2001 GT, 2004 Gator Bowl over WVU and 2002 Peach Bowl over Ten.

2001 Georgia Tech
-this game was kind of a wake up call to all Terp fans that this is going to be a special season. Thur night ESPN game, EJ with the TD and Novak on the spot with that miracle kick!

2004 Gator Bowl
I've never seen the offense click like it did that day and we flat out beat up WVU on defense. Suter did what he did best.

2002 Peach Bowl
I wass nervous after the Orange Bowl to face a tough SEC team, but we just wanted it more that day. Cox with the TD, EJ being EJ. What a great game. Props to #64 Duffie the walk on playing the game of his life!

Posted by: BuddhaUMD | October 7, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

The 2001 win over GT was incredible. Remember how terrible Novak was before that game? I'm not sure that he had even made a field goal longer than 30 yards. We kept saying "this kid is going to cost us a game sometime he is terrible" and then... Still kicking in the league for KC right?

Posted by: Lee | October 7, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I would say the G Tech game where Novak kicked the winning field goal. That game kicked off the resurgence of UMD football which led us to the Orange Bowl.
The NC State game with the Leroy Ambush hit was amazing too. The game was over. All they had to was run out the clock. The hit is on YouTube if you do a search for Leroy Ambush...

Posted by: V | October 7, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I remember Ralph's first game. UNC special teams scored on the opening kickoff return, and that was it. Later Ralph said that when it happened, he told the team that it would be the last time UNC saw the endzone that day, and he was right.

For selfish reasons, my famorite win was the first home win against FSU, which is in the post there. I decided to skip a forgettable homecoming game 3 weeks earlier (which we lost) to fly to MD from Los Angeles for the game, and it was so f'n exciting. I was an alumn, but my friend and I were sitting on the student side, and rushed the field.

Posted by: Steven F | October 7, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: V | October 7, 2008 5:24 PM

Great minds think alike. V you said to me "if he makes this kick, he will go on to have an amazing career with the Terps." But we were laughing bc there was no way he was going to hit it. Bedlam ensued.

All 3 of the wins over NC State between 01-03 included 4th quarter rallies (as did the '00 game with Shaun Hill coming from down 21 to win in OT). Every one of those wins were great.

Also the Clemson game to finish off the home schedule in 01 was huge...fans throwing oranges on the field in the closing moments.

Wins over WVU in 01, 02, 03, 04 (gator) were always fun.

And how bout the freezer thur night game against UVA in 03? Never been so cold in my life.

Posted by: Rudes | October 7, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Rudes is right with his honorable mention of the Clemson home game in 2001. Having gone to plenty of half-full games at Byrd growing up, it was a big moment for the program to play in primetime on ESPN that night with a full-house and end the home schedule right.

Easily the best win of the RF-Era is the Peach Bowl win over Tenn. To dismantle an SEC powerhouse was HUGE!

Posted by: Ryan | October 7, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Two come to mind from the same year, Fridge's best.

1. Novak's thriller over Georgia Tech. I distinctly remember the commentators saying there was no way the kid makes it. I distinctly remember yelling in my dorm room at the 17 inch TV to throw a hail mary. He proved us all wrong causing the entire campus to spill out onto frat row.

2. NC State to clinch the ACC title. The final drive Shaun Hill led finishing it off with a beautiful td pass to Gary was one of the greats. Who can forget the Maryland fans who drove down to NC State's field pelting the Wolfpack's home turf with oranges?

Posted by: Bruce Perry | October 8, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

That Clemson in 01 game was incredible. The difference in the stadium from the UNC game to the Clemson game was one of the mroe surreal things I have ever witnessed.

Posted by: Lee | October 8, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I loved this result.

Virginia -- 31
Maryland -- 0 (zero - zip - zilch - nada)

Maryland's - Defensive and Offensive lines and Linebacking corp are the worst in College Football.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

Maryland's recruiting efforts are going to take a major hit with this result.

Prediction:

Wake Forest -- 34
Maryland -- 10

Maryland will finish with a 5-7 record.

I am happy that Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin.

Jelani Jenkins, Travis Hawkins and Isaac Holmes will be signing with the University of Florida.

Go Tar Heels !

Posted by: Gary | October 8, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

VERY SHORT LIST OF BEST WINS--THANKS TO COACH FRIDGE

A list of worst losses for the FRIDGE would be at least 5 times longer. I am amazed that he is still coach of the team. He averages about 5 wins a year with the players he recruits--and these wins usually are against much inferior football schools.

Posted by: ipa2va | October 9, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse