How Would You Motivate The Terps This Week?

In four hours, I will get an update on the status of cornerback Kevin Barnes, who injured his shoulder in the first half of the Wake Forest game. Barnes underwent an MRI exam yesterday. I don’t expect Ralph Friedgen to be very forthcoming with information on Barnes, but he should at least provide an injury report.

We know Maryland has a rough time getting motivated for weaker opponents. If you were Friedgen, what approach would you take with the Terrapins this week? Would you hype NC State up as a top 25 team? Would you tell them the truth, that the Wolfpack is not that good? What would you do?

I would tell players the truth. I don't think you can fool the players with the idea that NC State is a top 25 team.

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 21, 2008; 9:10 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For N.C. State, Third Down Is Long
Next: Wall Street, Stock Market, Dow Jones and Maryland

Comments

Whatever they do - please, PLEASE do not hire lou holtz to give the boys a pep talk. Those bits on ESPN are AWFUL!

Posted by: Fredneck | October 21, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I'd tell them the truth - that they are a better team than their record indicates and they will be looking for payback for the whooping the Terps put on them to end their season last year. And not being ready to play from the opening whistle can screw up the Terps' chances to win the division and get to the conference championship game. And finally, WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!!

Posted by: Jack57 | October 21, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

You tell the team "nobody thinks you're for real. we're the only team in the country that has beaten 3 ranked opponents and we're not ranked. nobody believes in you, so go out there and prove it!!"

and add in the fact that this is a must-win game if we want to achieve our goal of winning the ACC.

Posted by: Sam | October 21, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I think Jack57 and Sam have hit it right on the head. I would also tell them that we are going with the same attacking style O and D as last week. I would also want the ball first so I could get them in a hole and keep them there.

Posted by: Paco in Ajijic | October 21, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

If you lose, the fans will have to read Gary's idiotic posts.

Posted by: Yrag | October 21, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Yrag, that is freaking brilliant!

Posted by: Billotch | October 21, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I would be like every game from here on out is bigger than the next. We can lose on any given day to anyone as been proven. Do you want to be good or do you want to be great?

Posted by: Steve | October 21, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I'd hold up a picture of Boise in December and another one of South Beach...and tell them the choice is yours.

Posted by: FL Tourism Secy. | October 21, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Scout team in UVA helmets and MTSU jerseys.

Posted by: Lee | October 21, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I liked the first two, and the two immediately above my post.

If I were Fridge I'd consider the above, and also get my seniors and captains in a room and put it to them. If you guys can't get the other guys motivated, you'll end your football careers losers (it's time for tough love if these guys are going to make it work).

Posted by: ckstevenson | October 21, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Prediction:

NC State -- 27
Maryland - 10

Maryland will finish with a 5-7 record.

I am extremely happy that Penn State is ranked number 3 in the country - and very soon to be ranked number one --- this will definitely hurt Maryland's recruiting - thank god !!!

I am happy that Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin.

Jelani Jenkins, Travis Hawkins and Isaac Holmes will be signing with the University of Florida.

Go Tar Heels