Most Memorable Maryland-Virginia Games

We debated earlier in the week just how big a rivalry Maryland-Virginia really is, and on the eve of the game it occurs to me that one of the key ingredients to any respectable rivalry, apart from mutual animosity, is a history of memorable matchups. The Terps and Cavaliers haven't had a ton of marquee matchups with both teams ranked or a defining moment like the Stanford-Cal band game, but even in my relatively short time here, I have a distinct memories of two of these games.

(1) Virginia 34, Maryland 30, Nov. 20, 1999
I had been in town for less than two months and was paying close attention to this game for probably the first time in my life. I wondered what I had been missing. The Terps entered 5-5 and needed a victory to earn a bowl bid. LaMont Jordan gave one of the great performances in Maryland history, rushing 37 times for a school-record 306 yards. The Terps held Thomas Jones, who entered the game as the nation's leading rusher, to 91 yards. And it wasn't enough. Billy McMullen caught a 20-yard pass in the final minute to give the Cavaliers the win an hand the Terps their fourth straight loss to end the season at 5-6.
Afterward Maryland Coach Ron Vanderlinden called the loss, "Devastating. The worst loss I've ever been associated with because of what was on the line."
A year later, after another bowl-less season, Vanderlinden was fired, and Maryland hired a career assistant named Ralph Friedgen.

(2) Maryland 28, Virginia 26 Oct. 14, 2006
The Terps hadn't been to a bowl game the previous two seasons. They had opened the 2006 campaign 3-2, but facing a lackluster Virginia squad, they found themselves trailing at halftime 20-0 and appeared on the verge of spiraling toward a third straight losing season. But after a rousing halftime speech from Friedgen, the Terps scored 28 unanswered points in the second half, Keon Lattimore giving them their first lead with a 56-yard run. Josh Wilson batted away a two-point conversion pass in the final three minutes to preserve the win.
The Terps went on to win four of their last six regular-season games and capped a nine-win season by beating Purdue in the Champs Sports Bowl.

Two memorable games, both with significant ramifications. What are your most vivid Maryland-Virginia memories?

By Matthew Rennie  |  October 3, 2008; 9:03 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: How Hot is Groh's Seat?
Next: Official Prediction Thread

Comments

EP The 1990 game was one for the ages. UVA formerly ranked #1, they take the lead in halftime, Mark Mason runs crazy and Mike Hollis taunts the "Hoos"? Joe Krivak's last stand. Youtube link with commentary from the great Johnny Holliday

FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP | October 3, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Forgot the "link"

Posted by: FREDTERP | October 3, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

The 2003 game in Byrd on a very cold and windy night when Josh Allen bounced off the line of scrimmage pile to go 80 yards was another good one. He ran for 257 total that night. I believe there was a skirmish between the two teams at midfield prior to kickoff in that game as well.

Posted by: TexasTerps | October 3, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

That 2003 game should be on the list. In addition to what TexasTerp mentioned, it was a Thursday night ESPN game, and also the infamous game that Al Groh decided to kick-off in BOTH halves. He deferred in the first half, and then chose to kick in the 2nd.

Posted by: Greg | October 3, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

YES...the COLD, WINDY 2003 game -

-- The Big Texas

Posted by: The Big Texas | October 3, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

The 2003 game was just as memorable for the enthusiasm of the fans. As cold as it was, the crowd was rocking all game long. I think it's still the best atmosphere from any game I've attended in my 6 years of being a season ticket holder.

Quick story from the 2006 game: I was there as a guest of my father-in-law, the only Maryland fan in the section. After our first score, I stood and cheered. The lady in front of me turned and said "Sit down, we're kicking your butt." I said "there's a lot of time left." She never turned around again.

Posted by: ICBomber | October 3, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Any of you old-timers remember the game in 1988. Neil O'Donnell gets knocked out of the game, a young Scott Zolak comes in and leads the Terps to a TD. The Terps go for the game winning "2" and a pass to Ricky Johnson was ruled incomplete. It would have benefited from instant replay? FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP | October 3, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

How about how unbelievably bad the refs were in last year's game? Maryland blew it, but the refs made numerous questionable calls to swing the game.

Posted by: NotGoodTimes | October 3, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I was in the stands in 2006 and the Maryland fans were taking a lot of heat at halftime. After the first Terp touchdown we started chanting "Click-Clack Can you hear us coming?" It got louder with each score and completely ticked off the UVA fans. Those arrogant asses had it coming!

Posted by: Terpin | October 3, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

For the '99 game, look up what Randall Jones did in the final moments. He could have run the clock out but he inexplicably ran out of bounds, which left just enough time for UVA. Heartbreaking. We started that year with such promise too...Boomer giving the Terps props on MNF when we were 4-1.

Posted by: Rudes | October 3, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

last year, chris long knocking turner into the year 2010

Posted by: mdoughtie | October 3, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Where are the mods. FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP | October 3, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Definitely last year's game at Byrd. Winning touchdown in the last minute? Are you kidding me? That was one of my greatest memories as a Virginia football fan.

Posted by: mtroghoo | October 3, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

2007, that was the refs fault. I've never seen such horrible calls in my life. They gave the 1st down to them.

I'm glad UVA is pathetic in 2008, they deserve it.

Posted by: BuddhaUMD | October 3, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

That 2006 comeback. I was there, and the play I remember most was the interception by Erin Henderson when I was certain the Cavs were going to drive back down the field and retake the lead.

Posted by: terpnozzle | October 3, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad UVA is pathetic in 2008, they deserve it.

Posted by: BuddhaUMD | October 3, 2008 11:53 AM

**********************************

LOL, for a poster calling himself Buddha, you are one angry dude! And the refs handed UVA nothing in 2007 - go back and watch the tape, it was a legit first down. The 2007 game was the Terp defense's fault - they simply had no answer for Mikell Simpson.

Posted by: Virginia Reader | October 3, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

The 2002 game was quite memorable. Maryland expecting to cruise to an easy win and an ACC championship rolled into Charlottesville with an 8 game winning streak, a bit too full of itself (and Terp fans call Hoos arrogant?). In the week leading up to the game Friedgen stated that "we expect to beat teams like Duke and Virginia" adding bulletin board material to help fire up the Hoos. What ensued was a richly deserved beatdown, as UVA rolled to a 48-13 victory. A great night in Scott.

Posted by: Virginia Reader | October 3, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

1961 - MARYLAND, coached by Tom Nugent, had beaten SYRACUSE with Ernie Davis, had beaten PENN STATE for the first and only time in football history, and was loaded with talent - Gary Collins @ end, Shriner QB, Rock, Shoals, Crossan, etc. TERPS needed only a victory @ Charlottesville against a team coming off a 3 year 28 game losing streak that had ended with a victory over William and Mary. U.Va. had Gary Cuozzo at quarterback. RESULT WAHOOS 28 TERPS 16 and the game was not as close as the score.

Posted by: LutherM | October 3, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Prediction:

Virginia -- 27
Maryland -- 10

Maryland will finish with a 5-7 record.

I am happy that Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin.

Jelani Jenkins, Travis Hawkins and Isaac Holmes will be signing with the University of Florida.

Go Tar Heels !

Posted by: Gary | October 3, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

As a member of the Maryland Marching Band, I attended the 1972 game at Charlottesville. UVA was winning 23 to 3 in the second half and UMD won 24 to 23 with an amazing rally. I don't remember all the details, but I do remember that MD won!!!

Posted by: Clayton | October 3, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Heh, my memorable game wasn't so for good reasons. I was at MD from 94-98, marching band all four years. The last one (1997 season) our final home game (i.e. Senior Day) was against UVa in the rain. Probably less than 10,000 in the stands. Not only did we get blown out (45-0), but we were shut out because the kicker fell in the mud trying to kick a field goal as time expired. Thankfully I've been back since the Fridge's resurgence, because we were awful the whole time I was there!

Posted by: J | October 3, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The devastating 1999 loss should be at least partially attributed to the naive underclassmen in the stands who prepared to rush the field in the game's waning moments despite the fact that the game was not over. As a senior (at the time) who had experienced the previous three terrible seasons, I couldn't help but feel like the last-minute loss was coming. Sure enough, it did.

Posted by: Steve Franis | October 3, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

The '99 game was a disaster. I remember driving home after that game thinking "I've never seen a guy rush for 300 yards in a game, he happened to be playing for my team, and they still lost." I liked the '03 game. I watched it here in Scottsdale. It was about 77 and sunny. Confirmation of why I moved here.

Posted by: Pete in AZ | October 3, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse