Official Prediction Thread

This is the official predictions thread, so I want everyone to let ‘em fly here so we can see who is on the mark tomorrow night. The game is on ESPNU tomorrow night, but I encourage everyone to stop by Terrapins Insider throughout Saturday night. Steve Yanda and I will be in chilly Scott Stadium blogging throughout with commentary and analysis. U-Va. beat writer Zach Berman will also check in during the second half once he arrives from the Virginia Tech debacle game earlier in the day.

Okay, here is my take: Even if you watch every minute of practice the first 20 minutes of practice every day like I do, Maryland has been nearly impossible to predict. But I can’t see the Terps lacking focus in a game so meaningful. They can enter the bye week with a 5-1 record and well positioned to compete for the ACC’s Coastal Atlantic Division title. They need to pound Virginia. The Cavaliers will put up a fight, get a little bounce from the crowd, but it won’t amount to much.

Maryland 34, Virginia 13 (Cavaliers stun educated tie-wearing fans by scoring a late-game touchdown)

"I may not give Virginia fans or the moderator the prediction they want to hear," Prisbell said. "But I will speak directly to the American people. This is Virginia’s season in one image."

And here are other predictions from our team members:

Steve Yanda (national college football writer, Terps hoops writer, triathlete)

Maryland 31, Virginia 10

“Cavs' anemic offense makes Terps fans forget about their Cosh concerns --- for a few hours at least,” Yanda said.

Zach Berman (U-Va./Virginia Tech writer, member of fan clubs for Bill Belichick and Worldwide Wes)

Maryland 27, Virginia 10

“Virginia plays tough at home, but the offense has not showed up in Scott Stadium nor anywhere else,” Berman said.

Matt Rennie (college sports editor, member of fan clubs for Charlie Weis and Jim Tressel)

Maryland 33, Virginia 9
"So long as the Terps don't turn over the ball excessively or make big mistakes in special teams, I don't see how the Cavs keep it close," Rennie said. "To paraphrase a Tom Boswell column, 'You never know what can happen. Except when you do. And this is one of those times.'"

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 3, 2008; 10:56 AM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Most Memorable Maryland-Virginia Games
Next: Scott Stadium at Night

Comments

Prediction:

Virginia -- 27
Maryland -- 10

Maryland will finish with a 5-7 record.

I am happy that Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin.

Jelani Jenkins, Travis Hawkins and Isaac Holmes will be signing with the University of Florida.

Go Tar Heels !

Posted by: Gary | October 3, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Gary....

You have e-mailed the exact same post several times now. No one cares who recruited your homies. Going to Florida they will probably be on the bench or in prison.

I hope you live in Carolina since your such a good Tarheel fan. My guess is you live in Suitland and are also a Cowboys fan!

Posted by: DONMAC | October 3, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I think either at home with his mommy, or at St. Elizabeths.

Posted by: Island 1 | October 3, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Terps 27 UVA 10. It will be close at halftime. Terps pull away in the second half.

Posted by: V | October 3, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I see a big bounce from last week.
UMD 34 UVA 6

Posted by: ewg | October 3, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Well I see Gary is clueless about MD football and basketball. He hates but yet he reads and comments on all of their blogs in multiple newspapers. Hes obviously a closet MD fan

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

maryland 23 virginia 17

maryland plays down to the opposition, but pulls out a victory late.

Posted by: rox_publius | October 3, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Terps 56 - UVA 6

Posted by: Mariolucasforthree | October 3, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Maryland 30 UVA 14. Chris Turner wants this one bad after last year. He plays focused and gets Maryland out to an early 20-0 lead. Then they slack and we all fall asleep.

Posted by: virtueandvice | October 3, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Prediction:

Virginia -- 47
Maryland -- 2

Maryland will finish with a 4-8 record.

I am happy that Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin or E.J. Henderson.

Jelani Jenkins, Travis Hawkins, Isaac Holmes, and Da'Rel Scott will sign with the University of Florida

Go Blue Devils !

Posted by: Gary | October 3, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Terps 35-6.

They score an early defensive touchdown and Turner throws a TD pass for the 5th straight game.

Posted by: Greg | October 3, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

MD 24 - UVA 14

Check out terpticker.blogspot.com for all the latest Terps content -- news clips, videos, polls and commentary -- updated hourly.

Posted by: Terp Ticker | October 3, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Maryland 38, Virginia 17.

Posted by: Lindemann | October 3, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Terps have given up points to bad teams this year, and UVA definitely qualifies as a bad team. 34-17

Posted by: Pete in AZ | October 3, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I guess I should've been more clear... 34-17 Terps.

Posted by: Pete in AZ | October 3, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

MD 30
UVA 17

First time in awhile i have traveled to a MD away game but I could not miss this one. MD should enter the bye week at 5-1.

BTW, Gary should be kicked off this post for being an idiot.

Posted by: gary is an idiot . com | October 3, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

"MD 30
UVA 17

BTW, Gary should be kicked off this post for being an idiot.

Posted by: gary is an idiot . com | October 3, 2008 8:15 PM"

Gary seems a lot better predictor than you. Surprising? No.

Hope you and your little team enjoyed the trip-we did.

Posted by: Ho Ho Ho | October 5, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse