Penn State, Virginia Wanted Scott

I have more extra stuff that never made it into my Da’Rel Scott feature from last week. When I went up to Scott’s hometown in Conshohocken, Pa., I also met with his former high school coaches. They told me how Scott’s recruitment unfolded. Most people felt Scott turned into a legit Division I-A prospect after his sophomore year. He had battled injuries, but his potential was large because of his speed, which he got from both his mother and father. Maryland cultivated a relationship with Scott early in his junior year. After Scott verbally committed to Maryland, his former coaches said, Penn State and Virginia turned up the heat. Current Plymouth-Whitemarsh Coach John Staudenmayer, then an assistant at the school, said coaches from Penn State and Virginia would walk into the P-W High coaches’ office asking about Scott.

“They were always asking, ‘What do you think? Is he really going to go there? Do we have a shot at him? Do we have a shot at changing his mind?’,” Staudenmayer said. “They would still come knocking. Before the official signing date, there were rumors that Joe Paterno was coming down to watch his basketball game. They wanted him late, but I guess they should have started earlier.

“Penn State was sending someone down here every weekend his senior year. Some teams were trying to steer him away from his verbal commitment. He said all along, he told everyone, ‘Maryland was the first team that really showed interest in me and showed a commitment to me.’ And of course he liked the school to begin with. ‘That’s who I am going with, those who have shown a loyalty to me.’ That is what made him stay with Maryland. When you have Joe Paterno calling you, and you have a couple other schools jumping in, Virginia. I am sure it was a tough thing for him to stick by his guns and I really admire that he did that.”

By Eric Prisbell  |  October 3, 2008; 4:39 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gronkowski a Semifinalist for Draddy Trophy
Next: A Lesson in Trash Talking

Comments

Check out terpticker.blogspot.com for all the latest Terps content -- news clips, videos, polls and commentary -- updated hourly.

Posted by: Terp Ticker | October 3, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

It is easy to stick to a committment when uva and ups come calling. it would be much tougher to stick to a committment to uva or ups if maryland came calling. (see caleb porzel)

Posted by: Dave | October 3, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Really Dave? Look at PSU's recruiting class this year half the kids are from Maryland with offers from Maryland.

Posted by: PSU1981 | October 4, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Scott makes up for Williams going to PSU. On another note, that creepy old man on the Lion's sideline needs to retire.

Posted by: CJterps98 | October 4, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I played offensive guard for Da'Rel for two years at PWHS. He was a sophmore when I was a senior and not only was he nasty at football, he was a good guy. Always cool to hang around with and while he knew he was good, he was never overally cocky in the locker room, unlike some of the other running backs we had. I believe a major reason he attended Maryland is because his older brother ran track there, but I may not be remembering correctly. I go to Penn State so it would have been cool for him to continue his career here but it is awesome to see him playing well for the Terps. He's a baller.

Posted by: Andrew | October 4, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Joe Paterno is a "creepy old man who needs to retire" reads one comment. Right. Maryland wishes they had that "creepy" old man. PSU is eating Maryland's lunch in recruting; the last PSU-MD game that I watched was, I think, won by PSU 77-7. PSU was last a national contender in 2005 against powerhouses like Michigan and Ohio State, and may be again this year. What's Maryland done lately? Win the underachieving ACC?

Posted by: Rob | October 4, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I loved this result.

Virginia -- 31
Maryland -- 0 (zero - zip - zilch - nada)

Maryland's - Defensive and Offensive lines and Linebacking corp are the worst in College Football.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

Maryland's recruiting efforts are going to take a major hit with this result.

Prediction:

Wake Forest -- 34
Maryland -- 10

Maryland will finish with a 5-7 record.

I am happy that Maryland is no longer recruiting Tavon Austin.

Jelani Jenkins, Travis Hawkins and Isaac Holmes will be signing with the University of Florida.

Go Tar Heels !

Posted by: Gary | October 6, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

PSU has an arsenal of quality tailbacks (Royster, Carter, Green, Beachum). If JoePa wanted Scott that bad, trust me, he'd be wearing blue and white on Saturdays.

Just scan the Nittany Lion's media guide and see how many Marylanders suit up for Joe every game.

Posted by: slurpeeman | October 6, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse